I have a Marshall stack, not sure what model or anything, and 4 pedals (2 distortion) My amp has alot of fuzz coming out and I was wondering what I can do to lower the fuzz and get a heavier sound at the same time. My pedals are a Screamin' Blues Distortion, a Multi-Chorus, a Slash Sig. Wah w/ distortion, and a Ratt Distortion Pedal. What settings on these (I mainly use the Screamin Blues and Ratt) should I have? Also, should my Amp be adjusted too? Oh, by the way, my guitar is a S-Classic (the kind with a battery in it) and EMG active pickups, if that makes a difference. The sound I'm looking for is like Killswitch Engage or Slipknot, something heavier like that.

Thanks for the help,
H.I.N.T.S.
Does it have "MG" in big letters on the front of the head? If so, then that plus the EMGs would explain the fuzz.

If it says "JCM" or something that isn't "MG", then either try to get a good distortion with the amp and no pedals, or get it the cleanest you can and then use one distortion. I wouldn't recommenced putting distortion on top of distortion, as that creates fuzz.
Last edited by Alex Vik at Nov 30, 2009,
Quote by Alex Vik
Does it have "MG" in big letters on the front of the head? If so, then that plus the EMGs would explain the fuzz.

If it says "JCM" or something that isn't "MG", then either try to get a good distortion with the amp and no pedals, or get it the cleanest you can and then use one distortion. I wouldn't recommenced putting distortion on top of distortion, as that creates fuzz.

Pretty much this. If it says anything but "MG" on the front the amp should give you a decent enough distorted tone. If not just try working the Rat to find a tone you like.
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band
PBT Native: Resident Graphics Monkey

even if is an mg... the fuzz can't be there... look if your not putting distortion over distortion... the rat naturally is fuzzy... if you use pedals for your dirty sounds, try to use a NOISE GATE... it helps...
i forgot, the emgs... see if they're set correctly, CHANGE THE BATTERIES! and to get the tone you want you gotta use a lot of tube gain.... those pedals aren't made for metal, if you want a cheap solution, there are some "higain pedals" like the metalcore from boss...
Quote by Alex Vik

No it's the Marshall Lead 12 or whatever. So should I just use a pedal that has better distortion? Thanks for the help so far also.
Quote by HandInTheSand
No it's the Marshall Lead 12 or whatever. So should I just use a pedal that has better distortion? Thanks for the help so far also.

Listen, stop shrugging off questions about your amp. The only way we can know what is going on is by knowing what amp you have. Now would you mind reading the front of your amp? How are you a UG user and don't even know what your amp is? Also 'stack' does not describe anything... The lead 12 is not a stack. What type of head do you have, and what type of cab. If you want a good answer we need good information first.

I'm sorry if I'm being rude but you are on a site entirely populated by gear *****s and you are unable to tell us what your amp is?
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
^ exactly. if we can be bothered racking our brains to help a complete stranger, you can be bothered to walk to the front of your amp to tell us the model, kind of thing.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?

Quote by Alex Vik

I agree.
Ibanez JEM 555 > Line 6 POD XT Live > Behringer MS16 Monitor Speakers

"Asked us if we were happy, we said we didn't know...
Took us by the hands and up we go..."

Italians do it better.
Quote by Dave_Mc
^ exactly. if we can be bothered racking our brains to help a complete stranger, you can be bothered to walk to the front of your amp to tell us the model, kind of thing.

+1

i'm sorry, i got it from my dad and i'm not sure what model it is or anything. all it says is "lead 12" and has the volume, gain, mid, treble, and bass knobs. and it's a marshall. it has a head and 2 speakers under it and i thought that was called a stack. also, i've tried it with other guitars that don't have EMGs and it's still fuzzy so it's not my pickups. any suggestions now, besides what Dave Mc or tubetime86 said?
Is this "Stack" a mini stack, by chance?

Edit: Beaten to it. Aren't those like little 5 watt tube amps?
Last edited by Morgant at Dec 2, 2009,
^except these are SS
Quote by angusfan16
I got my sister pregnant once. Yeah, that was awkward, but mostly because she's 6 years younger than me.
Err lower the gain?

What are your amp settings like?
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Quote by mespinos

By the way, this is a lead 12

That's bloody awesome!
Gear:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio Cherry Sunburst w/ Alnico Pro II
-1960 Yamaha Orange Sticker Acoustic
-Marshall JCM2000 DSL 401
-Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
-Blackstar HT-5RH
Quote by mespinos

By the way, this is a lead 12

aahhhh i see the problem! the infamous solid state marshall mini stacks. this almost certainly explains where the fuzz is coming from. the Rat is naturally fuzzy, but when you're playing it through this thing it's pretty much guaranteed to be noisy as hell. especially if you are running the pedal through the lead channel. play it through clean.
TS, that fuzz you have is just the natural tone of a rat and your Marshall, your just realising you don't like it.

NEW AMP TIME!!!
Chelsea FC

Quote by Blues Hippie
As for the swim team member that drowned, it just means the swim team just got a lot better. Same with him too, it's time to move on, the weakest link is gone...
well i'm in high school so i don't have the $ for a new amp, but i was planning on getting a boss mt-2 pedal and taking off the other 2. good idea? oh, and that pic is what it looks like, except mine has the hard plastic instead of leather or whatever that is around the edges...
Quote by HandInTheSand
and i think it's an older model or somethin... got it used...

Pics?
Wait.

Roger Waters - 12th May!
Quote by HandInTheSand
well i'm in high school so i don't have the $ for a new amp, but i was planning on getting a boss mt-2 pedal and taking off the other 2. good idea? oh, and that pic is what it looks like, except mine has the hard plastic instead of leather or whatever that is around the edges...

Bad Bad idea. Getting a metalzone will only make your problems worse.
I would just EQ everything to get the best tone you possibly can out of that amp with just one distortion.
Also make sure theres NEW batteries in the pedal. That can also cause fuzz.
My gear so far:

-Cort KX5 (pearl white)
-Crybaby Wah
-Danelectro Cool Cat
-Fender Twin Reverb 65' Reissue
-Hardwire TL2
well, if i were you, i`d take the pedals out completely and run just the guitar into the head... i don`t remember if you said if it had a gain knob, if it does crank the gain all the way.

does it sounds fuzzy or whatever when you do this? if so your cord might be messed up or something, try a new cord. if it`s find start adding your pedals in one at a timeonce it sounds fuzzy you found your problem pedal.

i don`t know much about distortion pedals cause all my distortion comes from my setup i don`t run pedals at all. the MT-2 is a CRAZY pedal for extreme metal, it has ALOT of feed back and fuzzyness, i have one that i used to use long time ago on my SS marshalls. what i can say is.. DON`T run 2 distortion pedals at once, that just sounds horride and mass feedback LOL. if your head is a tube head.. not sure if it`s SS or tubed, but if it`s tubed get a over drive pedal and try that.