Apparently people don't like Semi-Ultimate in the title so I deleted right away and here is the repost.

One thing I think is weird is the insane amount of people making pickups and the number of brands shooting up from small household projects. Another equally strange thing is that I've searched this site many times and I can't find hardly anything on pickup building. I may just have missed it, but I think this is the first thread devoted to guitar pickup building.

I would like this thread to be a place of public info for all those looking to make pickups (including myself) so if any of you have experience, please help out. All things build related are welcome. I will try my best to help and others will hopefully pitch in. Questions as well as comments on magnets to use, how to wire, parts to use, ways to wind, where to buy, how something works, are all welcome. Once again, I am just getting started in the trade but I will do my best.

I'll get it started with the questions 'how many winds make for a good, high output, single coil bridge' and 'does anyone know how in the world to make a noiseless single coil for around $20'?
Axes:
Ibanez RG7321
Ibanez RG320FM
LTD GUS600
Kramer Striker
Acoustics:
Art & Lutherie CW Antique Burst
Stupid Ovation CC
Washburn 12 String
Amps:
Randall Colossus Head
Randall Century 170 Cab/Head
Fender Acoustasonic
haha, I'm not saying dont post ultimate threads, but usually its best to have mod approval.

anyway. Nuthinbuttrubl8 makes pickups. VERY good ones I hear, try PMing him for questions.

I am interested in the possible discussions as well, as I would one day like to give pickup building a try.

R.I.P. Les Paul, 1915-2009
Quote by Shinozoku
You have a walnut stop sign banjo-tar signed by MAB

˙ןooɔ sı uosɐǝɹ ןɐǝɹ ou ɥʇıʍ ƃıs ɹnoʎ uı ʇxǝʇ uʍop ǝpısdn ƃuıʇʇnd
Quote by Scowmoo
You deserve an Awesome Award for Awesome People.
Seriously.

Stop Sign Guitar? HELL YES!
for a second I thought "what the fuck? did one of the god's make it possible for normal people to change thread titles?"

but yea, I don't really know much about it, I've read into pickup winding but I've never attempted it. this thread may be interesting
Quote by IbanezDudeCK
I'll get it started with the questions 'how many winds make for a good, high output, single coil bridge'

Do you want vintage or modern tone? Bass? Treble? Mids? etc etc...
The tone of the pickup is not about how many winds, other contributing factors are the magnet, wire coating, wire size, bobbin material/ thickness, pole piece sizes, magnet size etc etc.
Quote by IbanezDudeCK
'does anyone know how in the world to make a noiseless single coil for around $20'?

The wire will cost you more than $20 so you can't do it.

This may be of help for some people: http://www.rockmonkeyguitars.com/single_coil_options_explained.htm
For single coils. CorduroyEW (chris) is a user here, and that's his site, so I can see Chris being a big help in this thread.
Quote by guitarcam123
Do you want vintage or modern tone? Bass? Treble? Mids? etc etc...
The tone of the pickup is not about how many winds, other contributing factors are the magnet, wire coating, wire size, bobbin material/ thickness, pole piece sizes, magnet size etc etc.

The wire will cost you more than $20 so you can't do it.

This may be of help for some people: http://www.rockmonkeyguitars.com/single_coil_options_explained.htm
For single coils. CorduroyEW (chris) is a user here, and that's his site, so I can see Chris being a big help in this thread.

Hard Rock ready is what I'm trying for right now meaning lots of mids and lows and lots of distortion. And from what I've read, number of winds is relative to amount of bass and output level. Thats why bridge pickups have more winds: the closer to the bridge, the more treble, which leads to a need for more winds to even it out. BTW, they say $30 worth of wire (1/2 lb) is enough for 6 single coils. What I'm using right now is the Stew-Mac single coil kits for $10 (cuz they're inexpensive, I'd like ceramic magnets but I can't find a good place in town or a reliable looking online place) so I should be able to make a single coil for around $20 with wire. The wiring schematics or an explanation of how to do it (it being noiseless wiring) is all I really need.
Axes:
Ibanez RG7321
Ibanez RG320FM
LTD GUS600
Kramer Striker
Acoustics:
Stupid Ovation CC
Washburn 12 String
Amps:
Randall Colossus Head
Fender Acoustasonic
Last edited by IbanezDudeCK at Nov 30, 2009,
So I guess this is just king of a bump comment. Again, if anyone can find wiring schematics for noiseless pickups, please tell. And once again, if anyone has any questions, please post. The more posts, the more people will get involved.
Axes:
Ibanez RG7321
Ibanez RG320FM
LTD GUS600
Kramer Striker
Acoustics:
Stupid Ovation CC
Washburn 12 String
Amps:
Randall Colossus Head
Fender Acoustasonic
The reason bridge pickups have more winds is because the string vibrates less at that point, which means you need more winds to get the output to match the neck pickup.

I built a pair of humbuckers.

They don't work D:
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
I'll be contributing to this thread greatly after christmas. I have a proto winder working atm, and I am building a real one during my christmas break. I'll be glad to share any info on the winder, or the process of winding the pickup if people want.
Just call me Bobby
Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list
Quote by mikeyElite
you build guitars worthy of sexual favors

Quote by Invader Jim
if this party gets any livelier a funeral is gonna break out.
Quote by IbanezDudeCK
Hard Rock ready is what I'm trying for right now meaning lots of mids and lows and lots of distortion. And from what I've read, number of winds is relative to amount of bass and output level.

Your kinda right, the more winds, the more output, DC resistance and treble response. But with that, you'll also lose high end and the resonance peak will shift to lower frequencies.

Quote by IbanezDudeCK
Thats why bridge pickups have more winds: the closer to the bridge, the more treble, which leads to a need for more winds to even it out.

Like Nutter_101 said, the strings vibrate less at the bridge so you need more winds so that the output can match the neck and/or middle pickups.

Quote by IbanezDudeCK
I'd like ceramic magnets

It looks like ceramic is the magnet you want. Ceramic magnets produce a more aggressive tone with a punchier bass end and enhanced upper mids. But you have to get the amount of winds right or else it'll sound terrible.

Quote by IbanezDudeCK
The wiring schematics or an explanation of how to do it (it being noiseless wiring) is all I really need.

You don't 'wire' a pickup to be noiseless. You can't use a stewmac single coil kit for a noiseless pickup. To quote Chris:
Quote by CorduroyEW
You cant wind regular pickups to be like fender noisless. Noisless pickups have 2 coils stacked on top of each other. The top coil has magnets in it while the bottome coil has several steel slugs. The top coil has very small (44awg or smaller) wire to get the resistance up while the bottom coil uses very large (in the pickup making world) wire so that it doesn't have as much negative effect on tone.

While your just starting out, wind some standard single coils before you trip over trying to make noiseless pickups.
Ya, I know I want ceramics, but does anyone know of anywhere to get them for a low price? The only reliable lookng place I can find a bar magnet thats the right size is Stew-Mac and I've noticed that unless you buy in bulk from him, it's usually pretty overpriced. Does anyone know if there's anywhere to find good quality ceramic magnets, preferably pole piece magnets so I would have to get a magnet and slugs.
Axes:
Ibanez RG7321
Ibanez RG320FM
LTD GUS600
Kramer Striker
Acoustics:
Stupid Ovation CC
Washburn 12 String
Amps:
Randall Colossus Head
Fender Acoustasonic
Quote by guitarcam123
Stewmac don't sell ceramic bar magnets.

You can buy magnets from CorduroyEW's (Chris's) website: http://www.rockmonkeyguitars.com/humbucker_magnets.htm

For other pickup parts, try mojo music supply: http://www.mojotone.com/Guitar-Parts/Pickup-Parts

StewMac sells ceramcs, you just have to know where to look. They have ceramic bars in the humbucker parts section.
Axes:
Ibanez RG7321
Ibanez RG320FM
LTD GUS600
Kramer Striker
Acoustics:
Stupid Ovation CC
Washburn 12 String
Amps:
Randall Colossus Head