So my S5470 is HSH, and I want new pickups. I've been wanting to own a guitar with EMG's for a while now. Would it be dumb to put an 81 in the bridge and a 60 in the neck, and just disconnect the single-coil and leave it in so it looks normal?

I never use the single-coil, and I can get EMG's cheeaappp.
You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
Out on parole, any more instances of plum text and I get put back in...
I don't think it's that dumb, but i would save up and just get an EMG-S for the middle single coil. Unless you need the pups in it now.
Quote by GodofCheesecake
Excessive punctuation!!!!!!!!! YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote by dhutton
+infinity

I have infinity.
Quote by metharian
yea its way too much for my little stick lol
If you like the pickups and know they'll fit in the guitar then it isn't dumb at all.Leaving the single coil in for aesthetics makes sense too,because it would look horrible with a blank SC route in the middle of the guitar.

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

do it! There's nothing wrong with having an unused pickup, lots of people do that.....better yet, put something awesome in place of the unused pickup, like LED strobe lights
Quote by sw1ss023
I don't think it's that dumb, but i would save up and just get an EMG-S for the middle single coil. Unless you need the pups in it now.

I'm pretty sure the single coils are passive.

And speedemon, your post has interested me... What else interesting could I put in there...?
You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
Quote by biga29
I'm pretty sure the single coils are passive.

And speedemon, your post has interested me... What else interesting could I put in there...?

The SA single coils are active,and come in several different varieties.The sound similar to an older strat single coil,but with more bass and mids and more crunch and presence.

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

Quote by Pr0gNut
The SA single coils are active,and come in several different varieties.The sound similar to an older strat single coil,but with more bass and mids and more crunch and presence.

Hmm, I might put one of those in there. I just didn't know of any active single coils, even though there's probably lots...
You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
Quote by biga29

Hmm, I might put one of those in there. I just didn't know of any active single coils, even though there's probably lots...

There's quite a few out there.Seymour Duncan actually makes an 18 volt active single coil that's supposedly an absolute beast .

Quote by Pr0gNut
because it would look horrible with a blank SC route in the middle of the guitar.

Your words make my S540 unhappy.
Yeah, it is. The S series is a PITA to change electronics on, or so I've heard, 'cause of the jack location. The electronics cavity isn't even big enough for a 9v and two pots.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by littlephil
Your words make my S540 unhappy.

My bad,I'm sure it's a lovely guitar,despite its lack of SC goodness.

Quote by oneblackened
Yeah, it is. The S series is a PITA to change electronics on, or so I've heard, 'cause of the jack location. The electronics cavity isn't even big enough for a 9v and two pots.

You could squeeze a 9v in there. Not 2 though, so no 18v mod.

Quote by Pr0gNut

My bad,I'm sure it's a lovely guitar,despite its lack of SC goodness.

Its OK. I never use middle pickups anyway. I've been meaning to take the bar magnet of the bottom of an old SC I have somewhere so it'll fit, but I'm to lazy.
Last edited by littlephil at Nov 30, 2009,
It'd be a tight fit, for sure, Phil.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
I had an Ibanez GRG170DX. The humbuckers on it sound alright but the coil is weak as hell. All in all its a lousy cheap guitar, but I went ahead and snipped the wires on the coil and pulled it out and slapped the pickup cover right back in. Looks normal from the front but the middle position on the 5 way sounds amazing; no feedback, no scratchy noise, and you can't hear your mistakes.

It sounds best on its' single now :]
Quote by fly135
Great list Rutch. On re-reading this one I'd have to say Solid State means not liquid or gas.

I figured it out.
Quote by biga29

EMG S and SA off the top of my head and then you have SV and SAV and then SX and SAX. So not a lot. And ****ing do eet my man.
Quote by oneblackened
It'd be a tight fit, for sure, Phil.

I just tried it. Its not really that tight. I could fit one lying down under the jack (even with a push/pull volume in the way) and could probably squeeze another in between the volume and the switch. I wouldnt want to wire it up, but it can definitely fit.
Anyone else feel like EMG's always have this preset tone that you can't change no matter what?

I'm an EMG hater bro.
I'd say you try out some D-activators first.
or some bareknuckles if you really got the cash.

Quote by LesZao
Anyone else feel like EMG's always have this preset tone that you can't change no matter what?

I'm an EMG hater bro.

It doesn't matter if you hate them,TS likes them,and it's their decision.

Quote by LesZao

I'm an EMG hater bro.

Ever played through a 60, or tried an 85 as a bridge pickup?

Or you know... tried using the EQ knobs.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
Quote by STABxYOU
Ever played through a 60, or tried an 85 as a bridge pickup?

Or you know... tried using the EQ knobs.

Or the guitars controls,but no,that doesn't work,because EMG's are only for br00t4l ultra-metal.....

I swear,all the negative bandwagoning about actives on UG is really starting to annoy me.People try an 81/85 set for 5 minutes under the wrong conditions and they write the entire brand off.

I'm not a fan of EMG's either. They sound a little too dark for me. I'm not gonna knock em, there are some absolutely amazing guitarists out there who rock EMG's. It's just not my style. I'm more of a duncan-head.

That's getting a bit off-topic though. I'd be amazed if you could fit two 9V's in an S series. I swear I've had chicken sandwhiches from BK thicker than those.
Quote by fly135
Great list Rutch. On re-reading this one I'd have to say Solid State means not liquid or gas.

I figured it out.
Quote by Pr0gNut
It doesn't matter if you hate them,TS likes them,and it's their decision.

Wut noe! Mai opini0nz iz beta den ts nd me h4t3 emgayz. But yes I'd agree Biga obviously wants EMG actives.
Quote by biga29

Hmmm, I would say something useful (you know, like a pencil sharpener....), but the strings are in the way . So I would vote for some kind of lights, maybe you could use the plastic case from an old single coil, and put LEDs in place of the magnets

EDIT: I just found this --totally sick!
Last edited by speeddemon93 at Dec 1, 2009,
I own a LTD Viper-400 with EMG's
and honestly, if I had a choice of picking different pickups I would definitely pick something else before EMG's

They're alright pickups, but theres so much better to pick from.
but if you want them really bad.. then just get 'em

Quote by azn_guitarist25
Wut noe! Mai opini0nz iz beta den ts nd me h4t3 emgayz. But yes I'd agree Biga obviously wants EMG actives.

Goddamn Phil

It always makes me laugh when someone tells TS they're wrong because they aren't agreeing with their opinion.EMG's may not be for everyone,but they certainly aren't the horrible pieces of sh*t that so many people on UG make them out to be.