Hey peeps, this is my first post on ultimate guitar.com . I have been reading the tabs for a month now and for a brief period a couple years ago. I have owned three guitars, two of them being acoustics and a Fender Squire Bullet Strat.

I am really interested in getting an American Strat but I can only afford the mexican Strat. Do you have any suggestions to better the sound of the Mexican strat. I play Blues Rock. Thanks and much respect from Jamaica
I heard the wiring is not very good in mexican strats, i plan on getting a full rewiring with new pickups soon. Although, that will cost me roughly 200$ :O
Gear: Schecter C-1 Hellraiser FR
Epiphone Les Paul Standard (plus top)
Traynor YCV50 BLUE
Peavey Blazer
Zakk Wylde Signature Wah
EH Small Clone
MXR Distortion 3 (III)
Quote by necrosis1193
http://www.carvinguitars.com/catalog/guitars/index.php?model=bolt

Basically a custom-shop strat for less. Spec it how you like mate, see how much it is.

Whenever I see you you're recommending Carvin,and it makes me happy to see someone doing the right thing .

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

No means maybe
I love bolts, give a great clean sound, great for ska (not stereotyping Jamaicans just something I point out).

Also patsfannumerouno, are you feeling the same pain I am right now?
UG's Prodigal Son
Thanks for suggestions.

Peeps is short for my peoples. It's a sign of respect

I'm checking out the Carvin Guitars now.

So the mexican strats are no good?
I bought my mexican strat used for $250, and grabbed new pickups on black friday. Hot Gold lace sensor with hot bridge. These pickups sounds amazing. I run them through a vox ac4tv.
I wired them myself. They costed $135 on black friday, they are $175 online, but in store they were only $150 or $155.

Anyways I suggest buying a used mex strat, and buying new pickups and installing them yourself. It really transforms the instrument. Doing all this and paying a tech to a do a setup should keep the budget about or cheaper than the cost of a new MiM strat.
Mexican Strats are nice. I own one. I wouldn't buy one new, just because there's an abundance of used ones out there. They're actually really good if you get them in the $300-350 range. The quality of a mexican strat is closer to an American than most people think. They're very reliable too.

The American and Mexican Fender plants are very close to each other on the border. They're just a few miles apart. The costs are actually cut on the mexican guitars mostly because they have no safety standards which makes painting the bodies much less expensive.

EDIT: But a bolt is better.
UG's Prodigal Son
What about a used American standard Strat in good condition (not suggesting vintage or something pricey like that, just a recent pre-owned example). Couldn't you get close to the price for a new higher-end Mexican strat...? Just a thought if you really prefer MIA.

(BTW, when I picked up my SRV strat recently (which was MIA), I got very lucky at Guitar Center. It was used, but absolutely mint. Looked like it had never been played, and I got it for about a third of the new price. Moral of the story, not sure what kind of stores you have in Jamaica or if you can get someone in the US to shop for you, but you might just see what's out there and you might be pleasantly surprised. Worth a shot anyway.)

Gear:
'00 Fender SRV Strat MIA
'95 Gibson Les Paul Standard
Ibanez Acoustic/Electric (Mod. AEG20E - VV)
Fender Super-Champ XD Amp
Boss Loop Station Pedal
Hope, fear, confusion, no natural talent.
strats are always nice, my only problem is that I hate poly-urethane finishes, which come on pretty much all strats. I plan on just customizing my own 3 single-coil guitar somehow
Carvins are nice, any problems with them?

@Hoochki- that sounds like the plan.

@JHS - thats the problem i'm having in Jamaica, only one store sells guitars.

A mexican strat with pickups wouldnt be bad, as long as the tones are good.
Quote by Pr0gNut
Whenever I see you you're recommending Carvin,and it makes me happy to see someone doing the right thing .

XD Can't help it; The combination of the fact it's a custom guitar in quality and specs for under $1,000 and my GAS for a Bolt makes me.

Quote by Tony Black
So the mexican strats are no good?

Well, I own one and have played a Bolt my guitar teacher sold. It's like an old Ford Taurus from the 80's when they were kickass sports cars disguised as a sedan compared to a Mustang, the latter being the Bolt. They're both good cars, but it's really clear who the better is.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 73-78
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 2-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 24-7
Quote by necrosis1193
XD Can't help it; The combination of the fact it's a custom guitar in quality and specs for under $1,000 and my GAS for a Bolt makes me.

Indeed,for the money they're absolutely brilliant guitars.I plan on getting one of their 7 string models after I get a jazz box and a Peavey custom shop amp....

.....I hate the lust for nice gear

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

@Necrolisis- I like the bolts. They should probably have the customization like Car sites where you see when yu have added stuff to the guitar. I customized one and it came to 1311.oo dollars, but I wasn't sure how it looked
Quote by Tony Black
@JHS - thats the problem i'm having in Jamaica, only one store sells guitars..

Point taken. And though I can't really think of a good reason to LEAVE Jamaica once you're already there (sorry, little stereotypical as I know not all of Jamaica is the beach), this could be worth waiting for your next state-side trip, if that's feasible. But it certainly sounds like you have good options recommended by the others here, so good luck and happy playing.

Gear:
'00 Fender SRV Strat MIA
'95 Gibson Les Paul Standard
Ibanez Acoustic/Electric (Mod. AEG20E - VV)
Fender Super-Champ XD Amp
Boss Loop Station Pedal
Hope, fear, confusion, no natural talent.
what about a fender highway one...they are the cheapest amaerican fenders
Made in Mexico Fenders are actually pretty nice, you just have to try a lot of them out and pick the one that feels the best. For blues rock you might enjoy a Telecaster actually the neck pickups is beast for bluesy sounds. Good luck and from someone who plays and loves Jamaican music, big up and much respect!
MIM Fender Telecaster
SX GG1 Junior (Les Paul Special clone)
Dillion Canada DXC 58 (DC Les Paul Junior)
Fender Joe Strummer Telecaster
Squier CV Duo Sonic
Epiphone Les Paul Junior Special
Squier Jazz Bass
Vox DA 15
Fender FM 212R
I'm not getting another squier, them seem very delicate. i'm not even comfortable squeezing the whammy bar fully It's either a fender strat, or the carvin.