Hi, since i live in Australia and don't have enough cash to get a really nice amp i've been thinking of buying a quality preamp used and then running it though the poweramp on my HT-5 head and then eventually i could spring for a quality poweramp and then maybe use it as a rack setup or something.

Anyway i managed to find good deals locally on two Mesa Boogie preamps that cost round about the same which is great because admittedly i've always wanted to own a Mesa. Both are good and are probably versatile enough to cover the ground i need so while i know that versus threads are not allowed there must be one which is better tonally.

1) The first one is the Mesa Boogie Studio Preamp. I've heard demos and it sounds great on all fronts, i have also heard that the circuit is incredibly close to that of the Mark IIC+ which is definitely enticing. It also has the graphic EQ which would come in handy.

2) The next is the Rectifier Recording Preamp. This also sounds very nice and i find that it's advantages are the separate EQ's and the different modes which might give it a little more versatility.

So both of these amps would probably suit me so i'm just asking which one sounds a bit better.
Chelsea FC

Quote by Blues Hippie
As for the swim team member that drowned, it just means the swim team just got a lot better. Same with him too, it's time to move on, the weakest link is gone...
*tumbleweed*

Anyone?
Chelsea FC

Quote by Blues Hippie
As for the swim team member that drowned, it just means the swim team just got a lot better. Same with him too, it's time to move on, the weakest link is gone...
well do you want that mark tone, or that rectifier tone? what are some bands tones you like as a reference?
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
Sorry dude, read your thread earlier and I'd love to help... but I've absolutely no experience with either of those.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Quote by InanezGuitars44
well do you want that mark tone, or that rectifier tone? what are some bands tones you like as a reference?

Well i personally like to play just about everything so the more ground covered, the better. I doubt i would be disappointed with either which only makes the decision that much harder. For metal tones i guess i would say Metallica from Justice to Black Album as well as Opeth, Dream Theater but really i spent a lot of time playing around with tone so i don't mind the kind of ultra-fiddly amps.

Basically i would need some good clean and distorted tones for Blues, Jazz, Funk, rock of most kinds and metal (mostly in the thrash region but whatevers good.

On the other hand i also have a 10 band EQ so would it be foolish to say that with tweaking i could get the Rectifier sound out of the Mark (Studio) but not the other way around?
Chelsea FC

Quote by Blues Hippie
id go for the studioo. seems to be more in your tone range
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣