Basically i just want to have wide range of variety in tones, mostly playing sublime and what not. some times medal sometimes a little blue. idk mabey im asking to much but my other option is to go balls out on pick ups and other gear and get a solid state amp.Should i just spend the money on the tube amps or stick with fresh gear and solid state?
Well i sorta want to get a pair of emgs or those other popular ones lol I just want a nice tube amp it dont got to be huge probable going to look for used one.
Quote by Lt. Shinysides
tube all the way. no matter how nice your pickups are, they can't replace tube-amp tone and touch sensitivity.

+1 on the tube amp.

no matter what anyone says, between a tube amp and a solidstate amp of the same quality side by side, I always find subsequent changes in your signal chain or pickups to be more prominent on tube amps than on solidstate amps.

Plus, if any issues arise, its easier to fix a tube amp than a solidstate amp.

Do you really need the EMGs? A lot of modern passive pickups are more than able to hold their own against actives in terms of output.

Somehow, it sounds like you need a Hayden Mofo.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Last edited by ragingkitty at Nov 30, 2009,
It depends a lot on where you're going to be playing. Are you already gigging? Or just playing in your bedroom? Tubes only really have that "tube tone" if you crank them up. That or use an attenuator(sp), which can get pretty expensive.
do you ever play with others? specifically a drummer?

how much of this money do you have to spend?

new or used, or does that matter?
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by gregs1020
do you ever play with others? specifically a drummer?

how much of this money do you have to spend?

new or used, or does that matter?

Not all the time but yes occasionally. no drummer another guitar sometimes acoustic sometime electric. probable about $800? used it doesn't really matter
Quote by Kellenator
Not all the time but yes occasionally. no drummer another guitar sometimes acoustic sometime electric. probable about $800? used it doesn't really matter

What major city are you near?

example... it's not for you, just a great amp at $850. where to search?
http://chicago.craigslist.org/nwc/msg/1488253354.html
Tubes. There are really nice solid state amps out there, but side by side.. I don't know. I just like the warmth of a tube amp. Its just a feel.

You can always get nicer guitar/pickups at a later point, but a nice amp is going to make the biggest difference. (unless your guitar is total garbage)
/rig
Quote by Cookie Goes Moo
It depends a lot on where you're going to be playing. Are you already gigging? Or just playing in your bedroom? Tubes only really have that "tube tone" if you crank them up. That or use an attenuator(sp), which can get pretty expensive.

No, tube amps have that power tube saturation when cranked, which depending on the genres he plays isn't always good.. Even at low volumes, tube amps still sound great.

I'd say go for the tube amp, as IMO, changing pickups when using SS amps don't make as much of a difference as you would like to think.
Agile AL3000
Douglas WRL90
SX SR1 STD Plus
J&D Strat
Squier Tele
Sammick TR2
Douglas Draco
Peavey JSX
Bugera V5
TWANGED VJ
This depends on what your preferences are. Do you hate compression? Don't get a tube amp. Do you like responsiveness? If so, do get a tube amp. Do you like extra sensitive amps that will pick up everything you do? Get a tube amp. Do you hate saturation? Don't get a tube amp. Do you like bass? Don't get a tube amp.

Etc.
http://redding.craigslist.org/msg/1471849175.html that head would work. jcm800, $650

http://redding.craigslist.org/msg/1467549250.html 2x12 cab with vintage 30's. he's high on the price.

or this, which does get ripped for not having the best cleans... try it.
http://redding.craigslist.org/msg/1469586089.html 5150 halfstack, $700

try everything before you buy...