hey guys, what is the best 4x12 straight cab for under $500? genres: acdc style rock, rock/blues, anything around that genre. im using a jtm45 head. thanks!

EDIT: i can go $700 max. no more than $700. try to keep it around $500 tho
Check out Avatar cabs. They let you customize speakers, cab style, and tolex colors. They are very reasonably priced aswell. Get a nice 4x12 with V30s for $579.
/rig
i've heard lots of good things about avatar. do you think its possible that i could have a local dealer order one for me? i personally dont like ordering via internet.
Pass on both, they're both terrible with JTM45s.

Go with G12H30s, they're the best overall speaker for a JTM45, or any plexi style circuit. G12M greenbacks are ok too, but have a hard time keeping the low end on a JTM45 straight.
Last edited by al112987 at Dec 1, 2009,
so G12H30's? has anyone heard the 3 speakers mentioned and can describe them to me a bit?

EDIT: would mixing and matching any of those speakers help?
Last edited by dlguitarmaster7 at Dec 1, 2009,
Greenbacks are supposed to be amazing with JTMs/Plexis/etc.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE SINE WAVE SURFER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']Boss pedals may be built like tanks but I would rather buy a cardboard box that is on my side than pay for a tank that is working against me.
ah! everyone is telling me different things. i've heard that the G12T75s are the best. i dont think i'll go with the greenbacks. not a fan of those
Quote by dlguitarmaster7
so G12H30's? has anyone heard the 3 speakers mentioned and can describe them to me a bit?

EDIT: would mixing and matching any of those speakers help?
Here is my experience with the speakers.

G12T75s - harsh, scooped, boomy
V30s - harsh, boomy with an absolutely rank sounding midrange
G12H30s - balanced, creamy sounding breakup, slight high end roll off compared to the other two, but it really only removes the harshness. Mids are clearer than in a V30. Angus used these on almost all the classic AC/DC recordings, also a favorite speaker of Jimi Hendrix and Jimmy Page.

Keep in mind that a JTM45 is only 30-40 watts, and it will not push a 300 watt cabinet the same way it will push a 120 watt cabinet like a 4x12 loaded w/ G12H30s.

G12T75s are absolutely NOT the best, no clue who told you that, I know tone is subjective, but I honestly cannot imagine anyone would think that they sound better with a JTM45 than greenbacks or G12H30s. Take it from someone who has a JTM45 and have used these speakers with the amp. G12T75s and V30s sound ok with more modern amps, but do not sound good with these vintage style amps.

Avatar Vintage 4x12 cabinet with Hellatone 30s is a very solid cab, especially for the price. Hellatones are Celestions that have been pre-broken in which pretty much all Celestions need.
definitely. a class above all the other mentioned speakers, especially with a 45.

i actually prefer them in a 2x12 as I like that pushed speaker sound, but a 4x12 should work fine too.

if you buy from avatar, get the hellatone 30s.
Quote by al112987
G12T75s are absolutely NOT the best, no clue who told you that,

haha it was actually dave of avatar speakers who told me that. i'm glad i decided to come to UG to clear that up

EDIT:
Quote by al112987
if you buy from avatar, get the hellatone 30's

i hear those are really similar to the G12H30. whats the difference?
Last edited by dlguitarmaster7 at Dec 1, 2009,
Buy a used cab, Marshall I suppose.. just make sure it has speakers that someone has recommended. Check craigslist.org and kijiji.com
100w Peavey Valveking Head
Mesa Rectifier 4x12 Standard Cab
Ibanez RG 321
Boss DD-7
iSP Decimator x2
BBE Boosta Grande
Modded Crybaby
MXR Blue Box
Numark Power Conditioner
Korg DTR-1000
Quote by dlguitarmaster7
haha it was actually dave of avatar speakers who told me that. i'm glad i decided to come to UG to clear that up
Are you serious? That's crazy, really must be a case of different strokes for different folks, I despise G12T75s with JTM45s (having had that setup for over a year), and most that I've come across have as well. The high end is just horrible with those things. Literally like a ice pick to the brain. In general, UG might not be the best place to ask about things like this, especially dealing with amps like old Marshall style amps as there just isn't a ton of experience with them on this site. It doesn't hurt to do some reading elsewhere either, especially wtih more Marshall focused boards like the Vintage Amp forum.

i hear those are really similar to the G12H30. whats the difference?
They are G12H30s, only they've been pre-broken in. G12H30s are kind of stiff when you first get them and need some serious break in time. I'm talking ~40-50 hours of loud, gig volume playing through them, otherwise the high end can get a little ice picky in some situations. But after that break in, they have this incredibly sweet, musical treble, it just takes a while and some work. Hellatones just start that break in process for you and smooth things out initially, as you use the speaker, you'll notice more and more break-in and it'll sound better and better. Same goes for the amp, caps need some burn in time, and eventually the amp will sing.
Quote by Faux~Affliction
Buy a used cab, Marshall I suppose.. just make sure it has speakers that someone has recommended. Check craigslist.org and kijiji.com
And what exactly is are the chances of someone just happening to sell the cabinet with the right speakers. G12H30s don't come stock on any Marshalls except for very high end models. And the fact that you can buy an Avatar (which to be perfectly honest, does not sound any worse than a 1960) for essentially the price of 4 new G12H30s as it is, I think it's a solid deal.