ok, so the main last component of my pedalboard (besides upgrading overdrives to a fulldrive and wah to a fulltone clyde ) is to get a delay. ive narrowed it down to

1.memory boy (best price wise, and i love you can use an expression pedal, but it doesnt have a tap tempo for fine tuning, and i kinda want a reverse delay sound)

2. deluxe memory boy (adds a tap tempo, but takes away the chorus and vibrato. same detractors as memory boy, and worth the extra 70 dollars?)

3.memory man with hazarai (has a reverse delay, but seems like more of a gimmicky pedal, though i love that its supposed to have a looper, but i dont think it has tap)

4. tc electronics nova delay or repeater (looks like it has alot of features, but it is digital)

5.dd-20 (same detractors as nova)

pretty much im wanting vintagey delay sounds, but i also want something very fine tuneable, and able to make some crazy sounds, like reverse delay. i know either memory boy has an expression pedal to make crazy sounds, but i think the knobs may be too hard to get precise settings with, even with a tap tempo.

im mainly leaning towards nova repepeater or either memory boy
Quote by Soma3009
I came up with this kick ass riff on my ukelele when I was 12. Find out two years later, it was smoke on the water. Got my hopes and dreams killed..

Quote by saintjimmy99
you used the right form of "their!" i commend you sir!

If you want a warm delay sound stay away from the DD20. I'm going to throw in the Caebon Copy and Ekko616 as options if you don't need all the special features and want a stripped down good sounding delay. The Tech 21 Boost DLA that just came out is also a good choice, it has tempo and is a very efficient solo boost. As the Lieutenant said, the Time machine is also a great option. Go to a local store and try them all out!

-Gibson LP VM
-Silvertone Kentucky Blue
-MXR CC Delay
-Ibanez TS-9
-Egnater Rebel 20

My rig is simple
Haha. UG's Chuck just said chuck. haha
You're not truly playing guitar unless you know theory.
thanks for the suggestions, but really im having a hard time picking between juat these
Quote by Soma3009
I came up with this kick ass riff on my ukelele when I was 12. Find out two years later, it was smoke on the water. Got my hopes and dreams killed..

Quote by saintjimmy99
you used the right form of "their!" i commend you sir!

I have a DD-20 and a Carbon Copy. The dd-20 is amazing if you're looking for features and enough delay time to not know what to do with (23 seconds). It has a great amount of effects but as people states - its not really a delay to make your tone sound warm. It's more of a pedal for people who are into making weird noises with use of heavy effects (Pitch Shifter + DD-20 = what just happened). However, it's damn good at what it does.

Its got; Reverse, Analog, Digital, Twist, Warp, SOS (Loop function), Dual delay, Tape, Pan, Smooth, and Modulate. Each setting has its own unique effect on your tone as well as an expression pedal which really gets you into territories to never though possible with a guitar.

I have the Carbon Copy to make my tone sound warm, but that's what the carbon copy is. It's a regular analog delay pedal who's effects only allow you to change the delay, regen and mix of the sound. Again, its great for what it does - but i don't think it has the amount of versatility you're looking for.
For vintage sounds do NOT get a DD-20, the DD series is very cold and sterile (which I love.) I have a DD-3 and a Memory Boy, I would recommend the Memory Boy, believe me getting crazy sounds will be no problem. The most appealing things about the deluxe MB are the tap tempo and being able to control feedback with a footswitch, which would allow you to actually use oscillations practically.

Basically my MB is either set to just a modest, slapback delay or I turn up the mix and the depth of the modulations and get all types of crazy sounds. I'd say its pretty good at both.

I can't comment on the others, sorry.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
get a dd-3 or dd-6 and a carbon copy... you can have the warmth with the CC and the versatility with the DDs.

tap tempo, IMO, is for people who are too lazy or not patient enough to spend the time to learn their pedal and find what their looking for. I know so much about each of my pedals because I took the time to read the manual and fiddle with each knob and watch youtube videos.

/rant
Quote by theGlitch
get a dd-3 or dd-6 and a carbon copy... you can have the warmth with the CC and the versatility with the DDs.

tap tempo, IMO, is for people who are too lazy or not patient enough to spend the time to learn their pedal and find what their looking for. I know so much about each of my pedals because I took the time to read the manual and fiddle with each knob and watch youtube videos.

/rant

It is NOT possible to fine tune a delay time any near as accurately with a knob as you can with tap tempo... I don't have tap tempo, but I wish I did. Just last week I was trying to dial in my DD-3 to the rhythm of my drummer, and I couldn't get it exact. He had to change HIS rhythm to my delay...
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
I'm going to throw in a curveball here and say Akai Headrush. I am absolutely in love with mine.
The Deluxe Memory Man with Hazarai is definitely not a gimmicky pedal. I've got one and it's working great. I normally use the Echo mode to give my sound a bit more character but for more delay oriented songs like U2 and such I use the Multitap mode because it has a more stand out delay sound. The Echo mode also works as a pseudo reverb when you turn down the delay time and turn the decay and repeats to just the right amount. It does have tap tempo which I use all the time and the loop mode is really fun to jam with by yourself.
Quote by forsaknazrael
You should probably mug John Frusciante or Ritchie Blackmore. They're small guys, we could take 'em.

Just look out for that other guy in the Red Hot Chili Peppers, Will Farrel. He's a tall mofo, got a long reach.

Quote by Invader Jim
I give up.

Definitely check out the Hardwire Delay.

True Bypass, Reverse effect, built in Looper and quite cheap.