ok, so right now ive got a gibson les paul standard and a marshall jtm-30, pretty much a jcm900. nails all those 80s classic marshall sounds, but is a bit too fizzy and modern for my taste, and im sick of having the same tone as everyone else, so im looking at new amps (also keep in mind ill likely get a strat soon)
im thinking about just getting maybe a used vox ac15 for around 4-500 dollars and maybe keeping my marshall and i could use my ab/y switcher to either run them in stereo or switch between them, but it seems something like that would be a pain in the butt setup, so im wondering if id be better off to try and sell my marshall for say 5-600 dollars and get a more boutiqueish low wattage (say 15-20 watts) amp, but it seems most boutique vintagey amps are all either just nicer marshalls (i dont want a marshall sound) or like 3000 dollars.

pretty much what im looking for in an amp

1.15-20 watts (30 watts max

2.1000 dollars or less (i can go used)

3. no marshall amps (or atleast nothing way highgain, but something with some oomph. i was hearing clips of a matchless dc-30 played pretty loud, and loved the tone, but thats out of my price range)

4. no fender amps (i dont want something too clean sounding

5. preferably something vintagey but unique

6. prefer a combo, but ill definitely go for a lower wattage 1 or 212 half stack
Quote by Soma3009
I came up with this kick ass riff on my ukelele when I was 12. Find out two years later, it was smoke on the water. Got my hopes and dreams killed..

Quote by saintjimmy99
you used the right form of "their!" i commend you sir!

the vox has a marshally sound, yer screwed.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
I'd look at an Egnator Rebel 20. Pretty nice and not to everyday. Good blending capabilities of the 6V6 and el84 tubes. Really nice with a tele. i imagine a strat would be pretty good also.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
Quote by gregs1020

not really. i played one. alot more defintion, tons of dynamics, and that classic chimey, jangly, distortion, ala tom petty, queen. yes its british sounding but not marshally at all (in my opinion)

and how is this deal?

http://raleigh.craigslist.org/msg/1448409532.html
Quote by Soma3009
I came up with this kick ass riff on my ukelele when I was 12. Find out two years later, it was smoke on the water. Got my hopes and dreams killed..

Quote by saintjimmy99

Quote by marvelboy_04
not really. i played one. alot more defintion, tons of dynamics, and that classic chimey, jangly, distortion, ala tom petty, queen. yes its british sounding but not marshally at all (in my opinion)

and how is this deal?

http://raleigh.craigslist.org/msg/1448409532.html

cool. try a night train then.

that deal is about average, compare

Craigslist boston 2009-11-29 09:11:53 1999 Mesa Blue Angel 4x10 2x6V6 & 4xEL84 Alnico $900
Craigslist milwaukee 2009-11-28 05:23:09 Mesa Boogie Blue Angel Guitar Amp -
Craigslist washingtondc 2009-11-26 10:23:34 Mesa Boogie Blue Angel Amp $850
eBay washington dc 2009-11-24 10:08:16 Mesa Boogie Blue Angel Tube Guitar Amplifier 1993sh $750.00
Craigslist washingtondc 2009-11-24 08:48:21 mesa boogie blue angel amplifier $800
Craigslist boston 2009-11-24 00:23:14 Mesa Boogie 4x10 Blue Angel $675
Craigslist detroit 2009-11-23 04:19:02 Mesa Boogie Blue Angel Cabinets $385
Craigslist milwaukee 2009-11-21 21:27:09 Mesa Boogie Blue Angel 4x10 guitar amp -
Craigslist boston 2009-11-21 06:02:52 1999 Mesa Blue Angel 4x10 2x6V6 & 4xEL84 Alnico $900
Craigslist milwaukee 2009-11-19 20:13:29 Mesa Boogie Blue Angel 4x10 Tube Guitar Amp -
Craigslist chicago 2009-11-18 01:28:15 Mesa Boogie Blue Angel $950
So is the Night Train is too Marshall-y, too?

Have you considered doing a Fender with some pedals? Perhaps a Keely modded tube screamer and/or a Big Muff? Maybe that's too modern, too; you're likely to end up with a White Stripes or early Offspring sound.

I was going to recommend Mesa, but I figured it was out of your price range...
Well if you want something that doesn't sound either American nor British, you want something like a Bogner Shiva but it's pricey so you'll have to get saving. It's a brilliant amp though.
Chelsea FC

Quote by Blues Hippie
As for the swim team member that drowned, it just means the swim team just got a lot better. Same with him too, it's time to move on, the weakest link is gone...
Quote by marvelboy_04
ok, so right now ive got a gibson les paul standard and a marshall jtm-30, pretty much a jcm900. nails all those 80s classic marshall sounds, but is a bit too fizzy and modern for my taste, and im sick of having the same tone as everyone else, so im looking at new amps (also keep in mind ill likely get a strat soon)
im thinking about just getting maybe a used vox ac15 for around 4-500 dollars and maybe keeping my marshall and i could use my ab/y switcher to either run them in stereo or switch between them, but it seems something like that would be a pain in the butt setup, so im wondering if id be better off to try and sell my marshall for say 5-600 dollars and get a more boutiqueish low wattage (say 15-20 watts) amp, but it seems most boutique vintagey amps are all either just nicer marshalls (i dont want a marshall sound) or like 3000 dollars.

pretty much what im looking for in an amp

1.15-20 watts (30 watts max

2.1000 dollars or less (i can go used)

3. no marshall amps (or atleast nothing way highgain, but something with some oomph. i was hearing clips of a matchless dc-30 played pretty loud, and loved the tone, but thats out of my price range)

4. no fender amps (i dont want something too clean sounding

5. preferably something vintagey but unique

6. prefer a combo, but ill definitely go for a lower wattage 1 or 212 half stack

have a look at an ac30 dude. its the best of both worlds between fender and marshall. a used one will run you just under $1000
now, about the other points

3. not all marshall amps are high gain (very far from it) a 1987x plexi is not way high gain, its moderate gain, and it has more oomph than any amp i've ever played. it will however run you more than a grand with a cab.
4. Crank up a '57 twin reissue... nothing "too clean" about that bad boy. fenders are only clean until you turn them up

Quote by gregs1020

no it doesn't. they're somewhat similar, in the respect that they both have british voicings, but not in any way that makes them sound the same. a vox is a very open, harmonically rich, dynamic, gritty overdrive, a marshall is a much more focused version of a similar sound. if you can compare a marshall and a vox to cake, a vox ac30 is a sponge cake, and a marshall (assuming plexi) is a poundcake. airy and open, vs tight and heavy.
Last edited by Lt. Shinysides at Dec 1, 2009,
Quote by Lt. Shinysides

no it doesn't. they're somewhat similar, but not in any way that makes them sound the same. a vox is a very open, gritty overdrive, a marshall is a big wallop of loud.

i didn't say they sounded the same. a vox being marshally is not a huge stretch. you basically agreed with me then disagreed in the next sentence. take a side.

TS - that bogner i posted is worth a looksee.

edit: I love my baby's poundcake.
Last edited by gregs1020 at Dec 1, 2009,
+1 to a Rebel or ANYTHING gregs posted. Because he's cool like that.

-Gibson LP VM
-Silvertone Kentucky Blue
-MXR CC Delay
-Ibanez TS-9
-Egnater Rebel 20

My rig is simple
Haha. UG's Chuck just said chuck. haha
You're not truly playing guitar unless you know theory.
Quote by gregs1020
i didn't say they sounded the same. a vox being marshally is not a huge stretch. you basically agreed with me then disagreed in the next sentence. take a side.

TS - that bogner i posted is worth a looksee.

edit: I love my baby's poundcake.

damn, didn't edit fast enough. check my edit, i made what i was trying to say a bit clearer
Quote by jc349
+1 to a Rebel or ANYTHING gregs posted. Because he's cool like that.

i third the rebel rec, def try that one too if possible.

Quote by Lt. Shinysides
damn, didn't edit fast enough. check my edit, i made what i was trying to say a bit clearer

its cool, i was basically funnin with my first but we all agree. similarly voiced but dynamically two different worlds.

ts - the night train, rebel, used ac15 etc are at the $400-500 mark. a H&K edition tube would be great as well to check out at that price range.

the bogner and blue angel - another whole realm. it's probably best to figure out where to focus first. there's good stuff at both levels.
well, last time i was at guitar center, i actually tried the marshall haze, nightrain, rebel 20, and ac15. the ac15 won hands down (though if i were after a marshally amp, the rebel and nightrain were amazing.) but i was thinking if i kept my marshall jtm30, i could have the best of both worlds, but then i realized id be running 2 500 dollar amps, so i thought id see what i could get in the 1000 dollar price range for just one amp. i have to admit the blue angel intrigues me, but im wondering, what does the alchemist sound like compared to other amps, like is it fendery, marshally, etc.?

now on ebay ive seen stuff like maybe used dr. z or bad cats or ampeg jet or ampeg reverberocket. would those fit me?
Quote by Soma3009

Quote by saintjimmy99

Last edited by marvelboy_04 at Dec 1, 2009,
Quote by gregs1020
i third the rebel rec, def try that one too if possible.

its cool, i was basically funnin with my first but we all agree. similarly voiced but dynamically two different worlds.

ts - the night train, rebel, used ac15 etc are at the $400-500 mark. a H&K edition tube would be great as well to check out at that price range.

the bogner and blue angel - another whole realm. it's probably best to figure out where to focus first. there's good stuff at both levels.

I own a night train. its awesome. a H&K edition tube 25 has really nice cleans but i hate the drive channel of it.
well, theres also a mesa boogie maverick on there for 1000. how are those?
Quote by Soma3009

Quote by saintjimmy99

also, how is the randall mts amp with the different modules? would this be a good way to get lots of different amp tones for cheap?
Quote by Soma3009

Quote by saintjimmy99