Looking for information on a system known as a DAT (Digital Audio Tracking system). Heard a rumor about a program that can take the signal of an instrument and transpose it into tabs automatically. A buddy of mine who's been in the business for a very long time was telling me about it but can't remember the name of the damn program and I haven't found a damn thing on google. Has anybody else heard of anything like this? Any assistance would be very appreciative. It's for copyright purposes, buying into a studio here that may be fake. Before I do anything, me and my extremely talented pianist girlfriend need our shit under copyright.
Quote by fly135
Great list Rutch. On re-reading this one I'd have to say Solid State means not liquid or gas.

I figured it out.
that'd be funny if he didnt already say he tried google and found nothing. google douche.
Quote by Ishiga
Looking for information on a system known as a DAT (Digital Audio Tracking system). Heard a rumor about a program that can take the signal of an instrument and transpose it into tabs automatically. A buddy of mine who's been in the business for a very long time was telling me about it but can't remember the name of the damn program and I haven't found a damn thing on google. Has anybody else heard of anything like this? Any assistance would be very appreciative. It's for copyright purposes, buying into a studio here that may be fake. Before I do anything, me and my extremely talented pianist girlfriend need our shit under copyright.

Aw, wow. Would ya look at that. :]

Try reading, buddy. All google has is DARTS, an archiving and transmission system not music related, 5.1/7.1 digital audio speaker systems, GPS, and even more shit about digital sound systems.

Has absolutely no relevance to my question.

But thanks for wasting space on the front page.
Quote by fly135
Great list Rutch. On re-reading this one I'd have to say Solid State means not liquid or gas.

I figured it out.
DAT is digital audio tape as far as i knew... there is no program that can convert polyphonic audio to midi or tab, and the ones that work off monophonic signals aren't perfect either, unless it's like.. a sine wave or something. It would get confused with all the overtones.

about the copyright - all you need is proof that you wrote the song, anything like early demos, written notes, or even journal entries should be enough if you have any copyright problems.
I was thinkin tab it out the good ol' fashioned way; pen & paper, then slap it as well as a contract with signatures from everyone involved, and timestamps on every piece of paper and seal that in a manilla envelope, mail it to myself, keep the postage reciept, and with 2 witnessess it's a legal binding document. Tadaa, poor mans' copyright.

Another issue was that Jack (roomate who told me about it all) is worried that the studio might have one.

It's a bunch of guys in the middle of freakin nowhere, small complex with top of the line equipment, video surveillance systems they didn't notify us of, and they came to us in a guitar center despite not even being open for the public. They wanna produce us and put some shit out and promote the hell out of us, and wouldn't even talk numbers as far as money goes with us.

Morghan (girlfriend) is incredibly talented on a keyboard. She's made everyone I know cry at least once with her skills. Fascinated with jazz and blues, she's a damn prodigy as far as I'm concerned. Other than that, we're nothing special and I don't get the motive behind these guys. Trying to figure out what to make from all this and where to go, probably gonna go independant artist.

Edit:: Upon more and more research I've discovered a couple programs with the ability to convert MIDI to Tabs, but only MIDI instruments. That adds a slight level of security here, knowing nothing that ridiculous exists. Will probably have recordings up soon.
Quote by fly135

I figured it out.
Last edited by Ishiga at Dec 1, 2009,
haven't heard of the DAT system you're talking about, though the technology isn't far fetched at all. you can import audio into melodyne and you'll get your notes on a piano roll (polyphonic as well, though to a lesser degree).

as far as copyright law goes, i can help you out with that. first off: the moment you create something that is original and fixed, it's copyrighted. you don't need to do anything. to prove that it's copyrighted in court, however, you'll need to register your material with the us copyright office. if all you've got are your own documents, well that won't hold up in court.

neither will mailing it to yourself. that's called common law copyright and that was disallowed in the 1976 copyright revision. so basically: yes you could mail it to yourself. and you could have multiple witnesses. neither matters in court. if it's not registered with the us copyright office, they'll throw out your case.

getting your stuff copyrighted is easy. if you've got recordings, documents, whatever just go to copyright.gov and you can upload them there, either by single files or as an album. last time i checked it only costs ~$35 to get 10 or so songs copyrighted, so it's more than worth your while if you're worried about someone stealing your material.

one last note: as far as music goes, there are two types of copyrights that you should be aware of. the first is song copyright, which is, as you probably can imagine, the copyright to the material. this only includes lyrics and single-line melodies that can be sung, however. you can't copyright chord progressions, drum beats, basslines, etc. even guitar solos are difficult to copyright. the next type of cr is sound recording, and that covers that exact recording of the song. if you just want to have your original material cr'd, you only need the song cr; if you don't want someone to be able to rip off your recording, however, you'll need a sound recording cr, too.