So, here's the deal;

I need a guitar to try alot of different alternate tunings. Now, I have an Ibanez GiO RG type guitar that came with my starter pack that I could upgrade with a good p'up for downtuning. I was thinking D-Activators or something. It's a solid guitar, and it might be worth it.

On the other hand, I could just buy a whole new guitar. If I were to buy a new guitar for alternate tunings, what should I buy?

I'd appreciate any help. Thanks alL!
Axes;
Ibanez S Prestige (Bubinga Top)
ESP LTD MH-103
Ibanez GiO with DiMarzio D-Activator X's!
'96(ish) Fender Stratocaster

Amps;
Mesa Boogie Road King II
Fender '65 Reissue

Joe Satriani's Group

Stop the Pick Gnomes!
If the guitar plays well enough and is awesome in downtuning then go and change the pickups man. If the guitar is horrible and plays like shit and can't be set up at all then ditch it and get another one.
Yeah, if you're going to be changing the tunings, I would suggest getting it set up... You really need to set a guitar up for one specific tuning or else the action and intonation will be very different when you alter it...

So, if you're using a guitar for low tunings, then I would get a new one if I were you... If you're just doing Drop D, you're fine, though... What kind of tunings do you mean?
well, there are a few things to look at. one being, yes you have an ok guitar, it isnt a top of the line model or anything crazy. however, for you as a beginner, i think you will be fine with that. there are many guitars out there that do sound better and or worse with drop tunings. my danelectro sounds terrible with drop tunings where as my Gibson LP sounds great. With my LP i dropped some Seymour duncans in there and they are astonishing in sound. I would suggest as a cheaper route for now doing the same. no reason spending the money on a new guitar when you have one that will be fine for now. especially seeing you can always take the new pickups out if you like the sound of them and put them in your next guitar. In looking at simply seymours site (this doesnt mean there arent a number of other options) the Duncan Distortion SH-6 and TB-6 are a good choice and the Invader SH-8 are good choices. once again there are many others out there but those i am familiar with. The other question i must ask is, have you given this guitar a whirl with any other tunings? i assume you have and you were not satisfied with the sound. be sure to check your amp settings as well, nothing beats just making a few adjustments to the amp and it sounds better. tweak the gain, bass and treble and middle freq if you have it. I alter tunings here and there, and with my bridge if the action is off i simply adjust it, and normally the intonation is not out of whack enough to bother. then again drop D and C are typically the only i venture on to and realistically speaking they are the two most common ones out there in metal and what not (this doesnt mean they are the only ones though)
--Zeppedled--

Gibson Les Paul
Danelectro DC-59
Fender Acoustic 12-Strg
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Vibro Champ XD
Fender Ultimate Chorus (non Digi effects version)
Line 6 Tone Port UX-1
Last edited by zeppedled at Dec 1, 2009,
Normally I advocate upgrading, but I've seen a lot of those GiO RGs in pawn shops. That was like 30% of the entire stock at the last one I went to.

But then again, with the other guitars and amps you already got, you should know what's what by now...
Quote by wamguy89
Yeah, if you're going to be changing the tunings, I would suggest getting it set up... You really need to set a guitar up for one specific tuning or else the action and intonation will be very different when you alter it...

So, if you're using a guitar for low tunings, then I would get a new one if I were you... If you're just doing Drop D, you're fine, though... What kind of tunings do you mean?

I was thinking about experimenting with C# and stuff like that. Maybe some open chordal stuff, but it'll all be lower as well. Maybe not C low, but D and the like. They're only a half step away, right?

My GiO's a gray area. It's always been good to me, and it's always been pretty solid. But, who's to say that'll last?

My overall goal is to get a solid axe that doesn't get muddy.
Axes;
Ibanez S Prestige (Bubinga Top)
ESP LTD MH-103
Ibanez GiO with DiMarzio D-Activator X's!
'96(ish) Fender Stratocaster

Amps;
Mesa Boogie Road King II
Fender '65 Reissue

Joe Satriani's Group

Stop the Pick Gnomes!
I vote replace the pickups and tuners. If it's the 170DX I'm thinkin of, replace the tuners immediately. If you do, you'll think it was a colossal waste of money. If you don't, you'll eventually end up regretting that colossal waste having not been spent. The stock tuners on that axe are absolutely worthless. The pickups sound just fine for the price, but I'd definitely encourage upgrading.

Stickin' an Edge Pro bridge on there with some Grover 18:1 tuners and a JB / '59 combo would sound pretty killer. Just don't expect that guitar to stand alot of whammy abuse, what with the lack of string locks.
Quote by fly135
Great list Rutch. On re-reading this one I'd have to say Solid State means not liquid or gas.

I figured it out.