I recently got a Hot Rod Deville 4x10 and have realized what I once knew a few years ago. Tube amps have the best cleans hands down.

I have decided that its a matter of time before this amp won't do anymore. And I want to start saving for an amp with an amazing clean channel. I am looking for a combo amp from 15 to 60 watts tube. If money was no issue what amp would you choose? Right now my top runners are either a 57 Twin (current fender reissue), Marshall Bluesbreaker (used), or a Marshall 1974x handwired...

What other amps should I be considering? What amp do you consider to have the best clean channel?

All my dirt comes from od pedals. I have a TS9DX, TS7 and a Fulltone OCD. These pedals seem to give me any dirt combination I could ever desire. However nothing will ever sound like a cranked amp. This is why I am leaning towards lower wattage amps like the 1974 handwired.

Any input is appreciated.
- Anthony
PRS: PS P22, ME II 25th, SC HB I, Custom 22, McCarty 20th, SE Custom 24 7, Angulus SE
Fender Am Tele, Am Strat, 70 RI Strat, Esquire Scorpion
LTD: SC-607B

Amp
Avid 11R
My fave clean amps:
Fender Twin (any era really)
Marshall Superbass/Superlead/Plexi/Major/etc (Marshall cleans are awesome)
Musicman HD/RD
Sunn Spectrum/Sceptre/Solarus
Traynor YBA-1/YBA-1A/YBA-3
Roland JC (not tube, but awesome cleans nonetheless)
EDIT: Forgot another one of my favourites - Orange AD30/AD140 (gorgeous cleans)

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE SINE WAVE SURFER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']Boss pedals may be built like tanks but I would rather buy a cardboard box that is on my side than pay for a tank that is working against me.
Two-Rock John Mayer Signature
Carol-Ann Twinkleland (I think it's called)
Marshall Major
Glaswerks amps have great cleans
Fender Super Reverb
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Oooh, Fender Bassmans are the bee's knees too! Totally forgot about that.
EDIT: Just remembered some more - pretty much any vintage Ampeg (V4, VT22, etc)

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE SINE WAVE SURFER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']Boss pedals may be built like tanks but I would rather buy a cardboard box that is on my side than pay for a tank that is working against me.
Last edited by Dr.Pain-MD at Dec 1, 2009,
IMO...
blackface, ac30, blusbreaker, spitfireII...

clean is not what i normally go for though. i defer.
Fender Bassman/Twin Reverb
Mesa Boogie Mark I
Roland Jazz Chorus
Vox AC30 (handwired if you got cash)
Dr. Maz 18

Many others though
fender twin.
Quote by element4433
One time I watched a dog lick his own dick for twenty minutes.

Quote by Roc8995
No.

Well, technically it could be done, but only in the same way that you could change a cat into a hamburger. It's an unpleasant process, and nobody is happy with the result.
I recently got a Hot Rod Deville 4x10 and have realized what I once knew a few years ago. Tube amps have the best cleans hands down.

wat

Never played a Jazz chorus?
Quote by GrisKy
IMO...
blackface, ac30, blusbreaker, spitfireII...

clean is not what i normally go for though. i defer.

i can't believe someone in here said a spitfire. i will definately concur because i own one and yes the cleans are amazing. that being said i thought the custom classic ac30's had horrible cleans compared to the spitfire but the old or the new handwired ones are much better.

it depends on how you like your cleans. super clean i say fender twin reverb or a high wattage marshall plexi. with some dirt in there i would say a matchless spitfire of a lower wattage plexi.
Marshall Major's are just awesome amplifiers, too bad you'd have to kill yourself to get some natural overdrive.

Awesome cleans;
Matchless (any one really)
HiWatt Custom (warm, british, and thick; awesome cleans)
Fender Twin Reverb
Fender Super Reverb
Fender Deluxe Reverb
Fender Tweed Champ
Marshall JTM45
Fender Bassman
65 Soho
Two-Rock John Mayer
Trainwreck Express/Rocket/Liverpool
Dumble ODS/SSS
Marshall Club & Country (forgot the exact name)
AC15 (gotta love the bright cleans on these)
Diezel Herbert (just because it's a Metal oriented amp, doesn't mean it doesn't have kickass cleans)
Quote by GURREN LAGANN
wat

Never played a Jazz chorus?
i personally think that the JC sounds sterile and lacks character.

just my opinion. ymmv.
I would do damn near anything to get my hands on a JM Signature Two rock, but a 100 watt head, damn that would be loud as ****.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I will be trolling SF bay craigslist. Someone is selling a 57 twin for 1800, but just can't quite scrape the cash together just yet.
- Anthony
PRS: PS P22, ME II 25th, SC HB I, Custom 22, McCarty 20th, SE Custom 24 7, Angulus SE

Amp
Avid 11R
I'm definitely a Twin Reverb fan if I was going for cleans.

One day I will make a combination amp that has a switch with a twin reverb circuit as my clean channel, an Orange AD30 as my crunch channel 2, and a Framus Cobra as channel 3.

Sigh I can dream can't I?
Quote by xxdarrenxx

You know music is like 100% sound right?

Affordable prices on Logo designs and band merch. PM me for details.

Obligatory band link \/
www.myspace.com/resetred
Ha! I love how everyone recommends my amp. =]

+1 on the fender twin reverb.
It has an amazing clean tone.
Especially for blues.
Plus the 85watts of tube is plenty loud enough for anything you will ever need.
Whats your price range btw?
My gear so far:

-Cort KX5 (pearl white)
-Crybaby Wah
-Danelectro Cool Cat
-Fender Twin Reverb 65' Reissue
-Hardwire TL2
For bluesy, fat cleans, I love the Boogie Lone Star. My other favorite is the Fender Twin Reverb.
Hi, I'm Peter
Quote by Dirk Gently
For bluesy, fat cleans, I love the Boogie Lone Star. My other favorite is the Fender Twin Reverb.

This. I like it better than any Fender.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
Budget... I am thinking under about $2000 would be nice, don't mind buying used. It will take me a few months to save up the coin. Especially with the holidays coming. Just want to make sure I am on the look out for the right things and see if I can find a great steal during this season.

I had a Lonestar, and it was great. Come to think of it... I really miss that amp. What about a Stileto Ace?
- Anthony

Amp
Avid 11R
Quote by ANTHONYLBEST
Budget... I am thinking under about $2000 would be nice, don't mind buying used. It will take me a few months to save up the coin. Especially with the holidays coming. Just want to make sure I am on the look out for the right things and see if I can find a great steal during this season.

I had a Lonestar, and it was great. Come to think of it... I really miss that amp. What about a Stileto Ace?

Then get the Twin Reverb.
My gear so far:

-Cort KX5 (pearl white)
-Crybaby Wah
-Danelectro Cool Cat
-Fender Twin Reverb 65' Reissue
-Hardwire TL2