Page 1 of 2
I have an old friend who is a metalhead, albeit a very close-minded one.
He's a major fan of Roadrunner Records bands, so much so that he only listens to them. I always say to him to get out of the Roadrunner rut he's in, but everything else is shit to him.
So i put it to you, name your favourite bands, and their record labels, my reason being is that he thinks that all metalheads only listen to Roadrunner artists, i know he's a total moron but i could use some evidence to back me up here.
cheers
Nevermore are on Century Media, I believe
Devin Townsend has his own label
Porcupine Tree and Nick Cave aren't metal, so probably aren't on Roadrunner
Opeth are on Roadrunner, but some of their best albums were released on other labels
I'LL PUNCH A DONKEY IN THE STREETS OF GALWAY
One of my favorite Labels is Mynydd Du Records. I like literally every band on that label.
(Then again there are only 4, and my mate owns it. )
http://www.myspace.com/mynydddu
All releases are Available for free Via Torrent

Nuclear Blast seem to be getting some good bands of Late, such as Rhapsody of Fire and Sabaton.

Candlelight have some good bands too. such as Winterfylleth.

Actually thinking about it some of my favorite bands are on roadrunner, like Dream Theater.

At the end of the day, if your friend doesnt want to broaden his musical spectrum, thats his choice, or his loss as some would say, but at the end of the day its up to him.
i used to like roadrunner before i found out that all bands good album arent with roadrunner. Roadrunner records destroys good band to make extra $$$.
dont beleive get the albums:
Super Charger - Machine Head
The Burning Red - Machine Head
bands like Opeth and other major metal groups.
Roadrunners tries to "modernise metal" by removing solos add a little screaming here and there and a bit of rap/hip-hop there and BAM you officially have roadrunner garbage.
Quote by whalepudding
Nevermore are on Century Media, I believe
Devin Townsend has his own label
Porcupine Tree and Nick Cave aren't metal, so probably aren't on Roadrunner
Opeth are on Roadrunner, but some of their best albums were released on other labels

PT are on Roadrunner.

As far as I'm concerned Roadrunner went shit when they ditched all their death metal bands in the mid-90s. I get that it's a commercial enterprise, and calling them sell-outs would be stupid (well, duh, they're a record label), but they were complete cocks about it.
Quote by webbtje
As far as I'm concerned Roadrunner went shit when they ditched all their death metal bands in the mid-90s. I get that it's a commercial enterprise, and calling them sell-outs would be stupid (well, duh, they're a record label), but they were complete cocks about it.

+1
Cynic were on Roadrunner for Focus, and are now on Seasons of Mist.

Quote by crebbechi
i used to like roadrunner before i found out that all bands good album arent with roadrunner. Roadrunner records destroys good band to make extra $$$.
dont beleive get the albums:
Super Charger - Machine Head
The Burning Red - Machine Head
bands like Opeth and other major metal groups.
Roadrunners tries to "modernise metal" by removing solos add a little screaming here and there and a bit of rap/hip-hop there and BAM you officially have roadrunner garbage.

And you're describing nu metal, which was in no way, shape or form exclusive to Roadrunner.
Quote by duncang
maybe it's because i secrely agree that tracedin inymballsackistheb best album ever

he's got the fire and the fury,
at his command
well you don't have to worry,
if you hold onto jesus' hand
Last edited by CTFOD at Dec 1, 2009,
haha back to the future, and yes nu-metal is roadrunner's new $ scheme (or was), now theyre drifting into metalcore popularity so they get bands like atreyu.

Cynic are amazing and they were in roadrunner when roadrunner was good, im glad they didnt rejoin.
A record label doesn't force bands to do things, but they do pick up bands who they think will make them money, it's a business.
Quote by duncang
maybe it's because i secrely agree that tracedin inymballsackistheb best album ever

at his command
they forced machine head to change their style and then MH went downhill and RR dropped them. And then re-signed them not long after... *cough* wimps *cough*

morale of the story if "ROADRUNNER VS. THE REST"
THE REST win
Actually, MH changed because Ahrus Luster joined the band, who plays with Ill Nino, and he wanted to take them in a 'more melodic direction'. They released one album that was sub-par in comparison with earlier albums, then a piss-poor album which made RR drop them. Ahrue left, they started writing Ashes as a 3 peice, and no-one would sign them, Roadrunner decided to release it in Europe, it got popular, blah blah blah they released it worldwide. Roadrunner didn't affect their opinion, Ahrue did.
Quote by duncang

at his command
Quote by CTFOD
but they do pick up bands who they think will make them money, it's a business.

That doesn't apply to all the labels, some, yes but not all of them.
But it does for Roadrunner, who need to maintain that level of popularity.
Quote by duncang

at his command
Quote by CTFOD
But it does for Roadrunner, who need to maintain that level of popularity.

I'm okay with that as long as they don't want me to listen to their garbage.
are you insinuating that adding rap/hip-hop to music makes it garbage?

sad case
Quote by motoko
are you insinuating that adding rap/hip-hop to music makes it garbage?

sad case

That's exactly what I was saying, *points at usertitle*
you realise that there are perfectly acceptable and very entertaining hip hop artists out there?
Christ.

Yes we fucking do. Shut up. MH deciding to chuck half-arsed rapping in there killed whatever appeal they had.
so MH is your only example of using all this supposedly lame hip hop stuff?

damn roadrunner you nu metal bastards!!
Quote by motoko
you realise that there are perfectly acceptable and very entertaining hip hop artists out there?

That's a matter of opinion.
Its one's own opinion really, but I don't think anyone should limit music to a label, especially when major labels, one for eg. Nuclear Blast have some decent artists, and even minor labels have quite promising stuff. Roaddrunner is okay I guess but limiting yourself to it is just stupid.
Quote by KreatorRage
That's a matter of opinion.

so is everything youve said denouncing roadrunner
Quote by motoko
so is everything youve said denouncing roadrunner

I never said anything bad about the label itself, it's the artists that I dislike.
Quote by motoko
oh my bad, im getting all these avatars confused

Haha, yeah I'm going to change mine later.
Wasn't King Diamond part of Roadrunner? If so, Roadrunner does beat quite a bit of the rest.
| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ
Quote by motoko
so MH is your only example of using all this supposedly lame hip hop stuff?

damn roadrunner you nu metal bastards!!

I'm pretty sure Roadrunner signed more than one band who had Hip Hop/Rap influences...
There's this little band called Slipknot, might have heard of them...

Either way, RR hasn't signed many "real" metal bands in ages, and I'm amazed they haven't jumped on the deathcore scene, considering they will do whatever it takes to peddle more dreck down idiots throats.
Quote by Magero
I'm pretty sure Roadrunner signed more than one band who had Hip Hop/Rap influences...
There's this little band called Slipknot, might have heard of them...

Either way, RR hasn't signed many "real" metal bands in ages, and I'm amazed they haven't jumped on the deathcore scene, considering they will do whatever it takes to peddle more dreck down idiots throats.

Are these not "real" metal now?

Megadeth
Opeth
Dragonforce
Nightwish
Daath
Dream Theater

Last time i checked, they were all metal bands
i for one hope RR have more hip hop influenced bands. im tired of the same generic bands

hip hop maybe simple, but its groovin and funky and some guys have really good samples from old boppers and funk players
Quote by motoko
i for one hope RR have more hip hop influenced bands. im tired of the same generic bands

hip hop maybe simple, but its groovin and funky and some guys have really good samples from old boppers and funk players

Alright, we get it, you like Hip Hop. A lot of us do, it dosen't make you different so stop going on about it.
Quote by andyscoot
Alright, we get it, you like Hip Hop. A lot of us do, it dosen't make you different so stop going on about it.

im trying to imply that RR doesnt suck because it doesnt produce 'real' metal

but thanks for your concern
Peaceville guys, PEACEVILLE I mean Autopsy, Katatonia, Darkthrone, My Dying Bride

I like Sumerian too such bands as The faceless, Circle of Contempt, Enfold Darkness

Nuclear blast are an excellent label as well Bal-Sagoth, Amorphis, Blind Guardian, Candlemass, Immortal, Immolation, Keep of Kalessin, Psycroptic, Suffocation

There's really much, much better labels than Roadrunner in our music industry.
I drink your milkshake.
Page 1 of 2