Well I read the ultimate gear sticky and it kinda confused me. Ive seen people on here say how long they put their amp on standby . And Ive seen anywhere from 3 to 30 seconds, but the sticky says at least 1 minute. Also the sticky said that when you turn it off you should put it on standby (assumably for a minute) before you turn the power off. Id never heard of this, can I get some clarification?
Better, Faster, Stronger

Kansas City Chiefs

Kansas State Wildcats
Quote by airbrendie
Hey guys in the last 3 weeks I ****ed all the girls in this picture, what do you think?

You're not really going to hurt your amp either way, many people do it the opposite.

You can even turn the amp on and start strumming until the sound fades in.
i leave mine on standby to warm up the tubes ATLEAST 5 mins before i turn the power switch on or off ...

you have to put it on standby when turning off because it allows the red hot tubes to cool down at a slower rate, because glass can break when cooled down too quickly like just switching off it completely....
Quote by rgrockr
You can buy whatever guitar you want, you don't have to be at a certain skill level to buy one. This is real life, not some guitar-playing RPG where you have to unlock new guitars.
Last edited by kakos at Dec 1, 2009,
I think people think too much about the standby concept...some tube amps don't even have the switch. Personally, I let my amp warm up about 30 seconds.
It depends.. Its mainly going to affect the life of your tubes. If my amp was sitting in a cold garage for 6 hours and the tubes are freezing, i'll put it on standby and leave it for a few minutes. If its just room temperature I let them warm up while I setup my rig.
/rig
Basically the faster it cools or warms up the more wear that puts on the tubes. Just be cognizant of that, and you'll be fine. It doesn't NEED more than about 30 seconds, but it wouldn't hurt. I usually flip mine on, tune up, arrange cables, etc. then hit the standby. Then when I'm done I usually put it on standby, unplug, put cables away, put board away, put guitar away, flip it off.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
30 seconds or minute will suffice. Putting it on standby is nice for letting it cool off. Those tubes WILL get hot. Was playing a vintage AC30 in the studio. Those vents were pretty warm when I got done tracking...
Quote by )(yperX
You're not really going to hurt your amp either way, many people do it the opposite.

You can even turn the amp on and start strumming until the sound fades in.

no, because this wears on the tubes faster. it's not as bad with smaller tube amps with no standby switch (you should still leave the volume on your guitar and amp at 0 for a bit), but with bigger amps it can damage more than the tubes.

think of a tube amp like a diezel engine: it needs a bit of warm up time for it to run it's best and it's better in the long run.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
i normally give it a minute or two.

When turning off, you don't need to leave it for another couple of minutes; I just say to flick to standby first because that way the switches are in the right place for the next time you turn it on.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
i normally give it a minute or two.

When turning off, you don't need to leave it for another couple of minutes; I just say to flick to standby first because that way the switches are in the right place for the next time you turn it on.

This exactly. I turn mine on (Mine doesn't have a standby switch, but that doesn't mean it doesn't need time to warm up), get my guitar out of it's case/off it's stand, make sure everything is tuned up, and then just plug. By then it's already been at least a minute. If you do it like that, you'll almost always have given it plenty of time. Just make sure it's around 30 secs or so minimum if you setup fast
Fender '04 Strat
MiM Sunburst with Maple Neck

Ibanez TS-808
Fender Blues Junior
Marshall JTM60
Last edited by Shiromar at Dec 1, 2009,
yeah, i do that too, i turn the amp on first (obviously make sure you already have speakers plugged in), then set everything else up, and by the time i've done that it's generally been long enough that i can start playing.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Also, one thing to take into account is if you've changed the environment of where the amps been. If say you've had it in your car for the past 15 minutes in 35 Degree Weather because you're playing a gig or going to practice, you'll want to wait a little extra in time for the amp to adjust to the temp of the room. I've heard stories of friends who take it right out of their car, set it down and fire it up and pop go the tubes :p
Derpy Derp Derp Herp Derp
Quote by lockwolf
Also, one thing to take into account is if you've changed the environment of where the amps been. If say you've had it in your car for the past 15 minutes in 35 Degree Weather because you're playing a gig or going to practice, you'll want to wait a little extra in time for the amp to adjust to the temp of the room. I've heard stories of friends who take it right out of their car, set it down and fire it up and pop go the tubes :p

what?! did it overheat? i thought tube amps worked better in hotter weather
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
30 seconds to a minute is generally plenty enough time.

no need to put it on standby to turn it off either. it's not really going to cool down, the heaters are still on when the amp is on standby.
Meh I rarely even bother any more. Both on, jam untill it makes noise. However when i plan on picking a new amp i'll probably be more loving with it.

The usefullness of the standby switch has been very much debated, tbf. But i'd say let em warm up for 30 secs-min if you're concerned.

It deffinately can't be used to "cool" valves down, thats a pretty ridiculous claim. So just flick both off.
Flipping the amp on stand by does NOT cool the tubes down. It keeps them warm.

I put my amp on stand by before I turn it off to mute the output to the speaker so I can turn my pedalboard's power supply off before I unplug everything.

And yeah, 30 seconds is acceptable for standby time.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
30 seconds for warmup is perfectly fine. I typically just let it warm up until I tune up and am ready to play.

Going on -> standby -> off does nothing at all, despite what some people will say. When your amp is in standby, you are running tube heaters, which do exactly what they sound like they do.
Quote by Jhachey22
what?! did it overheat? i thought tube amps worked better in hotter weather

i imagine he's talking in fahrenheit.

Quote by beckyjc

It deffinately can't be used to "cool" valves down, thats a pretty ridiculous claim. So just flick both off.

yeah, definitely.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?