Hi. I've recently tried both the peavey 6505 and a mesa dual rectifier. I love em both but as I'm saving for a new gibson, it's gona be a while til I could afford either of these. I'm currently using a marshall TSL100 half stack which is really starting to annoy me. I always put a distortion in front of the clean channel (Primarily coz the overdrive channels are useless for what I'm after). I want some advice on acheiving a good high gain metal sound from this amp. Distortions? Eq's? It sounds ok in the mid range but either side it's just awful. Appreciate any input on what I should be trying (or point me 2 the right thread - i have looked but found nothing). Sorry 2 go on, but I'm losing patience with this amp. Cheers.
The distortion channels aren't useless at all, you're just not using them properly. Make sure the volume is high enough because that's a big part of a good tone, but try tweaking it with an OD or EQ pedal.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
If you preffer a pedal on the clean then the marshall's overdriven channels, then there is something wrong with your amp, your ears or your equing skills.
What is the setting for the heavy channel?
Have you tried an OCD,fatboost,ts-9 or anyother OD pedal?
Quote by youngangus69
Hi. I've recently tried both the peavey 6505 and a mesa dual rectifier. I love em both but as I'm saving for a new gibson, it's gona be a while til I could afford either of these. I'm currently using a marshall TSL100 half stack which is really starting to annoy me. I always put a distortion in front of the clean channel (Primarily coz the overdrive channels are useless for what I'm after). I want some advice on acheiving a good high gain metal sound from this amp. Distortions? Eq's? It sounds ok in the mid range but either side it's just awful. Appreciate any input on what I should be trying (or point me 2 the right thread - i have looked but found nothing). Sorry 2 go on, but I'm losing patience with this amp. Cheers.

Wut?

Anyway, I'd get the Peavey amp first before the Gibson and probably look at some other guitar for metal? There's lots of cheaper entries for it but that's just a tip so you can afford both an amplifier and guitar without having to wait so much.
Quote by Eddie4President
Either you remind her of a girl, or she's not a lesbian.

Quote by blake1221
Jabba's real name is Katie.
The TSL has pitiful gain channels IMO. It can be a very misleading amp in the gain dept, the gain is very thin and weak sounding.
I suggest upgrading to an amp with the gain capabilities you're after. The resale value on your TSL should be good, so maybe think about that instead of relying on "bandaid" solutions like Distortion and OD pedals.
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
TSL is pretty bad with distortion. Too harsh for softer stuff and regular rock and too thin and weak for metal. Why don't you just get the Peavey 6505 instead of the Gibson? You will notice an immediate improvement in high gain tones and is way better for what you want to play. I thought the TSL sounded bad when turned actually, to Steven Seagull. It just got thinner and ear splitting the more the volume went up...
Thanks for all the replies - only just managed to get back online, sorry about the delay. I tried a ts-9 and a ts9-dx on both overdrive channels and still wasn't getting enough gain though. And thats absolutley right about the sound thinning as the volume goes up. Most of u guys seem 2 think I shud put an amp b4 a new guitar? I know the 6505 is a better amp, but is there anyone who can suggest getting this TSL to sound remotely metal?? Even if it's just for the short term?
The TSL is nowhere near as bad as folks here make it out to be. It's got a great lead and ryhthm channel if you know how to EQ it properly. It does take a lot of work but it can sound fantastic. A maxon OD808 in front of it makes it sound good in almost any setting.

With that said, it's not the best for high gain metal. You can play it, and it will sound pretty good, but it doesnt have the distinct sound like a 6505 that just smacks you in your face with bro0Talness. It also sounds much much better loud than quiet. The 25W mode sounds decent, but the tone when you leave it in full power and have the volume over 4 is wayyyyyyy different and better than when you drop the volume. This is one of the reasons I ultimately sold mine. Its just so F'ing loud to sound great. I have a new 6505+ 112 and there is definitely a difference in how good it sounds at lower volumes.
Quote by youngangus69
Thanks for all the replies - only just managed to get back online, sorry about the delay. I tried a ts-9 and a ts9-dx on both overdrive channels and still wasn't getting enough gain though. And thats absolutley right about the sound thinning as the volume goes up. Most of u guys seem 2 think I shud put an amp b4 a new guitar? I know the 6505 is a better amp, but is there anyone who can suggest getting this TSL to sound remotely metal?? Even if it's just for the short term?

IMO its always amp before guitar.
That is, if you have a halfway decent guitar.
Your sound all has to do with your amp.
If I were you I would get the 6505 and just wait for a new guitar.
Your guitar is only as good as your amp in most cases.
It will be worth it in the long run.
My gear so far:

-Cort KX5 (pearl white)
-Crybaby Wah
-Danelectro Cool Cat
-Fender Twin Reverb 65' Reissue
-Hardwire TL2
Hmmm..... Going for the amp first doesn't sound like a bad idea, given the funds I'd raise on the TSL. Am I right to assume the 6505 is best paired with it's matching cab? (it was through a 1960A when I tried it).
The Mesa and the 6505 have more gain than pretty much any other american made amp out there....I don't understand how their overdrive channels are useless for what you want. Very few, if any use a distortion on the clean channel as their main rhythm sound in heavier music. I don't know where you got this concept from, but man, crank that Boogie or Peavey up, and really let them roar. Then try and tell me they dont have balls.
I've bought, sold, and traded more gear than I care to admit.
Quote by youngangus69
Am I right to assume the 6505 is best paired with it's matching cab? (it was through a 1960A when I tried it).

Nope...the 6505 cabinet is not that great (like most peavey cabinets). The 6505 cab isn't the worst Peavey cab out there...but you can do way better for the money. I'd sell your head...all the while saving your money...get the 6505 head used...and look for a mesa, orange, framus, or marshall 1960 cabinet.
Quote by Brendan.Clace
The Mesa and the 6505 have more gain than pretty much any other american made amp out there....I don't understand how their overdrive channels are useless for what you want. Very few, if any use a distortion on the clean channel as their main rhythm sound in heavier music. I don't know where you got this concept from, but man, crank that Boogie or Peavey up, and really let them roar. Then try and tell me they dont have balls.

He was talking about the amp he ALREADY has, which is a Marshall TSL100. Lern2 read, dumbass.
Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
The grandmother is having a baby with her grandson, so the grandson will be his own fathers father, the baby will be his own grandfather, and grandson, and the grandmother will be the mother, and great grandmother?

Quote by TheBurningFish
ಠ_ಠ
I agree with the guy saying go used 6505, possibly I'd recommend 5150. These two amps go cheap used... In fact, so does the Single Rectifier....
If your not pleased with your amp, your dumb! Nah, I REALLY MEAN sell your amp, and buy the 6505 and a cheaper guitar.

As you should know, Gibson is too expensive for too little...
(The melody maker I tried out, I vomitted afterwards, the Cort VX-V2 I tried and came out extremley happy).

Plus there is always a better br00tal guitar out there. (Unless you go custom)
Quote by youngangus69
Hmmm..... Going for the amp first doesn't sound like a bad idea, given the funds I'd raise on the TSL. Am I right to assume the 6505 is best paired with it's matching cab? (it was through a 1960A when I tried it).

i've heard quite a few negative things about the matching cab
the 1960A is a good cheap cab especially if you go used(you can get them for £150 with only a few scratches)
the guitarist in my band uses a TSL602 and manages to get a pretty nice high gain sound out of it without a pedal
think he scoops his mid's quite abit though
personally i'd say amp first if you have a guitar thats already nice to play
Gear
Ibanez SAS32EXFM White
Epiphone SG G400 White
Line 6 Flextone III+
Line 6 Spider III 120 (for sale £90)
Quote by smartalec007
He was talking about the amp he ALREADY has, which is a Marshall TSL100. Lern2 read, dumbass.

Hey 09'er, you should probably watch what you say. I misread that as him saying that "overdrive channels" are useless for what he was after.

Also, I think that he would be better off spending the gibbo money on the amp/
I've bought, sold, and traded more gear than I care to admit.
Last edited by Brendan.Clace at Dec 1, 2009,
I think I'm probably gona go for the amp 1st after what you guys have been saying. Selling the TSL should be a good start money-wise. I have a 1960A cab, but I wouldn't mind trying some other cabs with a 6505. There was a few suggestions above but does anybody here have any opinons/preferences on any good cabs? As it'd be pretty difficult to try a few different ones out............
Try this on your lead channel:
-Bass - 6
-Middle - 7
-Treble - 5
-Presence - 6
-Gain - 6
-Channel Volume - 8
-Master Volume - 4-6 (I know it's effing loud, but this amp really needs A LOT of volume)
-Deep - off

edit: I had a TSL60, btw
main rig:
MIM Tele->VP Jr.->CryBaby->Fuzz Factory->TS808->Carbon Copy->Phase 90->TU-3->Vox AC30CCH+Avatar 212 and Peavey VTM60+Marshall 1960A

Quote by necrosis1193
Fuzz...It's wonderful and horrible and beautiful and repulsive and so many things all at once.