I'm picking up a new Gibson SG in a few days and one of the techs at the music shop said he would set it up for me. I went in to look at it after he had set it up and the stop bar was significantly off the body and on an angle.

I have no experience with these things and I'm wondering why it would be set up this way. Is there a reason to have the stop bar not flush with the body and on an angle?

Better yet, does anyone have any links to properly setting up tune o matic bridges and stop bars?

Thanks.
It depends on the method you're stringing your guitar.
He raised the stopbar to lesser the string angle. It reduces the chance of string breakage at the bridge.

I personally often put the strings from the other side of the stoptail and wrap it over to the bridge piece. That way I can have the string angle I want and still have the tail piece screwed tight all the way down. It does increase sustain and gives a bit less string tensions.

Like this:
http://img179.imageshack.us/img179/4600/wrapover1ib5.jpg
G͔͓̅e͎͉̟̽ͬ͐̎̃͐ͨͅå͈͖͕̹̤̟̐̏͋ͅr̩͕̫̰̗s̹̳̼ͥ̒̍̄̅ͥ̚:

ESP Standard Eclipse I CTM VW
ESP LTD Deluxe H-1001
ESP LTD Deluxe Viper-1000 STBC
ESP Edwards E-EX-100STD
Warmoth Paulcaster "Tiger"
Tanglewood TW170 AS
Vox Tonelab ST
Blackstar HT-1R

Last edited by hminh87 at Dec 1, 2009,
That's interesting.

I'm wondering if there is a specific angle that the strings are suppose to be at between the bridge and the tail piece. I would imagine that the higher the angle the more likely string breakage can occur.
Having the stopbar higher will certainly reduce wear and tear on the strings and lower string tension, but on some cheaper guitars this can make the guitar go out of tune a little easier and reduce sustain.

Personlly, on all my guitars that use stopbars, I have the stopbar all the way down as far as it will go. I've never had a string break - even on my Gibson which has had the same strings on it for over a year and a half now - and the tone and response feels a little better to me.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.