Bought it

I just bought a used Ibanez RG550, and after playing it a while i think the frets seems a little bit low, how high are they supposed to be? If i'm measuring theese correctly they seem to be around 1mm high.

Check out this

How does it look?

Also, is this bridge at the correct level?

EDIT: I've been told now that frets are fine, however bridge needs to be lower. So you only have to regarding this if you disagree.
Last edited by and3nlol at Dec 2, 2009,
Sure it is.I`ve got one and it is on par with my 2 jems. As long as you like the neck (some people may find it too thin), and the sound, there is no reason not to get it.
dude that is an insane deal go for it.
2009 Engl Powerball 100watt
1985 Marshall 1960a 4x12 with G12-65s
1989 Ibanez 540S LTD DY
2006 Epiphone G-400
bite his hand off.

then apologise and pay for the guitar.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
What models of rg550 are out there? I guess this is not that fancy 20th aniversity I've read about, but which one do you think is is?
what do you mean by which model?

its a RG550, its either the original lot that came out in 80's/90's or the re-issues..
Quote by guidothepimmp
what do you mean by which model?

its a RG550, its either the original lot that came out in 80's/90's or the re-issues..

My bad, what I meant was if there are some versions of rg550 that's better than others, since I see some for 1200$ and some for half that.
The ones for 1200 are either reissues or just being sold by dumb people. The rg550 is an incredible guitar, especially with dimarzios, buy it now sir, you wont be disappointed.
Originally Posted by StewieSwan
schtick_bomb is actually a Tare. An evil race of aliens from the planet Nibiru who have come to fight the power of Jesus Christ.

OK. Think I'm going to buy it.
I need some tips though. What should I look for in terms of if it might be broken? What to check etc. Is there anything in particular for RG guitars or all ibanez guitars for that matter, that you should be aware of when buying used.

General tips for buying used are appreciated as well, seeing as I've only bought new guitars from stores.
Be sure to check the tremelo and its knife edges...not just on this but any used guitar you might buy.

Make sure all the frets look ok and aren't all worn down.

Check all electronics in all positions to make sure they work and are hum free

Then check the finish to make sure it is up to your standars.

For $350.00 thats a pretty sweet deal.

Just noticed it has DiMarzio strap locks as well....they are the best available and will never let you down. I've had em on all my guitars for over 10 years now and I have never once dropped a guitar.
Gear
Jackson RR24M - EMG ALX w/ ABQ installed
Ibanez Xiphos - stock
LTD Alexi 600 - stock
Ibanex RG - Tone Zone(bridge), PAF Pro(neck)
Blackstar HT-20H
Fulltone OCD
MXR 10 Band EQ
check the back of the neck where the bolts for the nut are those tend to crack with the wizard I and might need fixing. Check the neck joint for cracks...um just anywhere in general lol
2009 Engl Powerball 100watt
1985 Marshall 1960a 4x12 with G12-65s
1989 Ibanez 540S LTD DY
2006 Epiphone G-400
Quote by srob7001
Be sure to check the tremelo and its knife edges...not just on this but any used guitar you might buy.

Make sure all the frets look ok and aren't all worn down.

Check all electronics in all positions to make sure they work and are hum free

Then check the finish to make sure it is up to your standars.

For $350.00 thats a pretty sweet deal.

Just noticed it has DiMarzio strap locks as well....they are the best available and will never let you down. I've had em on all my guitars for over 10 years now and I have never once dropped a guitar.

it's pretty damned difficult to damage an Edge/Lo-Pro Edge's knife edges - the ones from the '80s are still going strong, just like the OFR's from that era.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by oneblackened
it's pretty damned difficult to damage an Edge/Lo-Pro Edge's knife edges - the ones from the '80s are still going strong, just like the OFR's from that era.

Yes it is difficult but if the owner before didn't really know what he was doing as far as setting it up and turning the trem screws while the bridge is under full tension it can and will damage the knife edges..not just on Ibanez trems but all trems.

Just something to check for..

I would rather check it and see it is ok than not check it get home and face palm myself if they were damaged and I didn't check it because it is from a certain era.
Gear
Jackson RR24M - EMG ALX w/ ABQ installed
Ibanez Xiphos - stock
LTD Alexi 600 - stock
Ibanex RG - Tone Zone(bridge), PAF Pro(neck)
Blackstar HT-20H
Fulltone OCD
MXR 10 Band EQ
Quote by srob7001

not sure what that means, I've only had one guitar with tremolo and that was my first guitar ever, so that was like 3-4 years ago.
Quote by srob7001
Yes it is difficult but if the owner before didn't really know what he was doing as far as setting it up and turning the trem screws while the bridge is under full tension it can and will damage the knife edges..not just on Ibanez trems but all trems.

Just something to check for..

I would rather check it and see it is ok than not check it get home and face palm myself if they were damaged and I didn't check it because it is from a certain era.

true.

TS, just do a few dives with the trem, and if it decides to go out of tune (provided the locks are tight) the knife edges are bad.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
great deal! buy it now! perfect for gilbert. maybe not so much metallica because changing tunings on it can be a pain, but you'll love the crap out of this guitar either way. that i can promise.
Warmoth Telecaster Deluxe. Warmoth Strat. Seagull Artist Portrait Acoustic.

"Well good God damn and other such phrases, I haven't heard a beat like this in ages!"
-Dan Le Sac Vs The Scroobius Pip
Quote by LifeIsABullet16
great deal! buy it now! perfect for gilbert. maybe not so much metallica because changing tunings on it can be a pain, but you'll love the crap out of this guitar either way. that i can promise.

metallica plays mostly in E
Quote by Banana Wedgie
Don't buy it....

Where is it sold? Is it online? Has it got shipping?

=P

It's sold like 5 miles from my home so i don't need shipping, i'll just drive and get it / try it out myself, i don't need shipping.
Give the bridge a few heavy dive-bombs. If it stays in tune you're golden so far as the bridge goes. As for the rest, just look for cracks.

I've got an '89 550 that was well cared for (though played very regularly) and still functions the way it's supposed to. For $350 with DiMarzios? Go for it! Mine was $350 with the stock V1/V2 pickups, although, mine does have a maple fretboard.
Quote by Marty Friedman
Because I bend in such an unorthodox fashion; the notes kinda slide up and slide down...
Thats a great deal!
As everyone else has said, check the knife edges, electronics, and for cracks (around the neck pocket is usually just finish cracks and is nothing to worry about, it happens to almost all bolt-on guitars over time)
Make sure you check the nut area for cracks, older Ibanez necks are a bit prone to cracks there because of the thin neck and tension from the locking nut. If there is one, but its been repaired, it should be fine. If there is one, it'll be near the 2 holes where the nut mounts on the back.
Quote by and3nlol
metallica plays mostly in E

thats true for their earliest stuff. i thought most of their newer stuff was a half step or lower though maybe not. either way, if you set this guitar up correctly it'll play like a dream in whatever tuning you want
Warmoth Telecaster Deluxe. Warmoth Strat. Seagull Artist Portrait Acoustic.

"Well good God damn and other such phrases, I haven't heard a beat like this in ages!"
-Dan Le Sac Vs The Scroobius Pip
Quote by LifeIsABullet16
thats true for their earliest stuff. i thought most of their newer stuff was a half step or lower though maybe not. either way, if you set this guitar up correctly it'll play like a dream in whatever tuning you want

Well, if it's a half step down it's ok to play in standard tuning imo
As long as it isn't drop b or d or something like that, i always play songs in standard tuning.

If there is a crack on the neck, is that a complete deal braker? Can't it be fixed. I mean it's only 350$ for the entire kit, would be worth it to buy it and then repair it?
I'd probably just pass if there were a crack on the neck. There will be other deals.
Quote by Marty Friedman
Because I bend in such an unorthodox fashion; the notes kinda slide up and slide down...
The add says there are some dings and scratches on it. What are dings? I've seen people use it about used guitars, but what does it mean exactly?
Pics NAO!

Also, get that crack fixed ASAP.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
The frets seems a little low, high high are they supposed to be (in mm) ?
The frets look a little low, and the bridge is way out. You can see the knife edge on the side of it, that should be parallel with the body.
Also, the nut looks too high, which is why the action is so high at the first few frets.