I want a low wattage amp with 2 channels and an fx loop. These amps look good in my price rangs (£500 or less). Blackstar HT-5 head and Orange PPC112 or Laney Lionheart combo. Which one should I get? Any other amps I can look at at this price range with the features I want? I play rock, blues and some metal.

Laney combo: http://www.laney.co.uk/show_prod.php?prod=l5t-112

Blackstar HT-5 head: http://www.blackstaramps.co.uk/products/ht-5/ht-5h.html
Orange cab: http://www.orangeamps.com/products.asp?Action=View&ID=108
both are good amps for the price.
Never played the laney though, but I've heard good things.
The ht-5 will do metal a little better but with a nice OD the lionheart should be able to handle it.
Why are you selling your modded VK?
Id take the HT5 personally

Epi Les Paul Std w/Duncans
ESP LTD EX260
Cry Baby From Hell
Marshall JH-1
EHX Metal Muff
MXR EVH Phase 90
Carl Martin Classic Chorus
EHX #1 Echo
Ibanez LU-20
Dunlop DCB-10
Crate V50112
Tascam US144

PEDALBOARD JUNKIES
Quote by henis
both are good amps for the price.
Never played the laney though, but I've heard good things.
The ht-5 will do metal a little better but with a nice OD the lionheart should be able to handle it.
Why are you selling your modded VK?

I am selling it because it is too big and loud for practicing.
Quote by jamesfarr

One of the sexiest amps i have ever seen or heard.

Cleans are awesome, overdrive is BRILLIANT!
With a boost, you'd have British styled metal easy.

I haven't tried the HT-5, but i have tried this for quite a while and it sounds absolutely lovely.

+Infinite cool points for you if you get it.
Quote by unet
One of the sexiest amps i have ever seen or heard.

Cleans are awesome, overdrive is BRILLIANT!
With a boost, you'd have British styled metal easy.

I haven't tried the HT-5, but i have tried this for quite a while and it sounds absolutely lovely.

+Infinite cool points for you if you get it.

Yeah, I also like the fact that it has a G12H-30 speaker in it. I hear that the lionheart's headroom isn't too good which is slightly offputting.
Quote by jamesfarr
Yeah, I also like the fact that it has a G12H-30 speaker in it. I hear that the lionheart's headroom isn't too good which is slightly offputting.

Well it is a 5 watt amp....

I think it's headroom is more than enough for practice.
And is probably awesome for studio recording.

Don't worry the cleans get loud enough to damage your ears before breakup.

Oh and did i mention the reverb is delicious as well?
Quote by unet
Well it is a 5 watt amp....

I think it's headroom is more than enough for practice.
And is probably awesome for studio recording.

Don't worry the cleans get loud enough to damage your ears before breakup.

Oh and did i mention the reverb is delicious as well?

Ok thanks. Well, I want something that I could jam with my drummer friend aswell....
The lionheart is an incredible amp. People complaining about a lack of headroom are not using the amp properly and also taking for granted how loud the little 5watter is. For a practice amp or recording amp it can't be beat. I would think its loud enough to jam with if you put her up on a stool and your drummer isn't completely tasteless. I have used it for a couple shows and it did ok but ultimately its barely loud enough without a mic. Once again, its not supposed to be a fully blown stage amp. I purchased it for recording purposes and it has truly shined. I hate to throw the whole price factor in, but you cannot find a better sounding amp for the price. I am about to order the 20watt head for live stuff. For the styles you mentioned the laney will work well. check one out!!
Last edited by Igotsoul4u at Dec 2, 2009,