Christmas is coming up and my birthday is only a month and two days from it. I also told everyone just to give me money (assuming to get atleast $400-$800) for Christmas and my birthday. So a new guitar sounds nice. But I looked at so many guitars and decided to get either a Jackson, a B.C. Rich, or an Ibanez.

Basic Specs wanted:
-Duncan or Duncan-like pickups and Original Floyd Rose Tremolo system (I want learn how to do awesome dive bombs =D)
-A X shape body (They just yell my personality, A Jackson Kelly to me counts too)
-The cheaper it is without giving up awesome sound would be nice since it is my 19th birthday, so left over money is for beer

I got a one of those Squire Strats packages when I first started 2 years ago, thinking if I hate playing it, it won't burn a big hole in my pocket. Since then I replaced that small 10w amp to a 50w Marshall MG series amp (bought used for $250, not a bad deal I thought) and got a BOSS metalcore pedal. I also broke the crap out of the whammy bar (don't ask me how) which messed the threading and can't put a whammy bar on it at all.

And I listen to almost everything that has a guitar in it (except country). So it comes to be no surprise that when I play, it sounds like rock with a metal influence or metal with a rock influence or blues with rock and metal.

So in a nutshell I want a more hard rock to metal sounding guitar since my strat covers everything else.
P.S. I have already looked at the Jackson website and noticed that you can make a custom guitar. What should I look out for when ordering a custom?
Last edited by MoshPitWarrior at Dec 1, 2009,
amp upgraded??? um... ok...

well.... i really have no idea about guitars with those body shapes (the only ones i care for are super strats and V's). But.. here are a couple with those specs:

http://jacksonguitars.com/products/products.php?group=Kelly-Body&page=1&product=2913005808

http://espguitars.com/guitars_ex.html (EX401DX)

No Ibanez X's will have a good trem (Edge III, decent, not comparable to an OFR tho) so I would choose the ESP because that jackson looks ugly to me.

You just "upgraded" to an MG but you're talking about custom shop guitars? Based on that alone, you're probably not going to be able to afford it. Custom shop guitars are usually around 3k+ (around 5k+ if its a well known name brand)

GUITARS CURRENTLY USED
Ibanez RG7621
Ibanez RG121
ESP LTD H-400
Sorry but you will not be able to afford a custom Jackson. Most customs cost min $1000.00

My advise would be to go and play all the diff guitars you are interested in and then go from there as they are all going to sound and feel different.
Gear
Jackson RR24M - EMG ALX w/ ABQ installed
Ibanez Xiphos - stock
LTD Alexi 600 - stock
Ibanex RG - Tone Zone(bridge), PAF Pro(neck)
Blackstar HT-20H
Fulltone OCD
MXR 10 Band EQ
You'll probably not be able to afford a custom guitar.

The only 2 B.C. Rich guitars I would recommend for the price are the Mockingbird ST and the NJ JR. Deluxe V (I hope i typed in the name correctly).

I don't know much about Jackson guitars.

For the Ibanez: most of the Superstrat models' trems are better than for example the Xiphos one, I would recommend the S-Series with ZR-Tremolo to mess around while staying in tune.

However, your sound won't improve with your current amp and pedal anyway.
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
BC Rich Warlock NJ Deluxe - It has active EMG pickups (81/85), neck-thru construction, and an original Floyd Rose. All of the NJ Deluxe line guitars do.
BC Rich Mockingbird ST - It has Rockfield Mafia passive pickups, neck-thru construction, and an original Floyd Rose. I'd suggest it over an NJ deluxe, because with a Marshall MG, EMGs won't do you much good.
I'm afraid in your price range, you won't be finding any Jacksons or Ibanezes with Original Floyd Roses (You wouldn't actually find an Ibanez with one at all). You're not gonna get an X shaped guitar at that price from those companies.
Look at the Epiphone Prophecy Futura FX with EMG-81/85 pickups and an Original Floyd Rose trem.

But, personally, I wouldn't get a guitar with EMGs in the first place with an MG. If I were you, I'd buy a new amp and deal with the Squier for now.
7-String Legion
Quote by TheJem
Justice4AllOne pretty much mentioned all of my ideas so yeah...pointless pun post.

Quote by MightySumo
Thanks fer settin me straight on that Justice

Quote by oneblackened
I was thinking that too, Justice usually seems like a pretty knowledgeable guy.
Okay since I went through the Jackson website of a custom guitar, all you guys are right and a custom is a crap load of money so I ruled out that option.

The amp was bought since this spring and works awesome for a used amp.

And when I say that I want an X shape I mean something crazy looking without Strat look-a-like and I find Vs (any kind to me sitting feels weird playing). What I am thinking is either:
From Jackson; a Kelly or Warrior http://www.jacksonguitars.com/products/body.php
From Ibanez; the X series http://www.ibanez.co.jp/world/country/frame_canada.html
and most styles B.C. Rich's offers; http://www.bcrich.com/guitars.asp
I already played most of these at the music centers I have here and can't decide between them all. And due to Christmas deals, I see some of them near the $600-$700 range.
Your amp is not bad because it is used, your amp is bad because it's bad. Together with your pedal I guess it sounds like a can of bees, but if you like it ....
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
Quote by srob7001
Sorry but you will not be able to afford a custom Jackson. Most customs cost min $1000.00

You won't get a custom Jackson under 5000$
And then you just have a very basic model with nothing special, but made in the custom shop with the best materials available in the world.
If you take SOME special specifications, prices go fast towards 6-9000$
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
Jackson WRMG Warrior. I can't get enough of Jackson necks.
TO ALL MY KILLERS AND MY HUNDRED DOLLAR BILLERS...
...TO EMO KIDS THAT GOT TOO MANY FEELINGS
Was going to switch out amp anyways later in life so if you disagree with it, it doesn't matter. I am just looking for a nice guitar that would give me some fun for only a few months before I switch it out anyway.
Quote by JesusCrisp
Your amp is not bad because it is used, your amp is bad because it's bad. Together with your pedal I guess it sounds like a can of bees, but if you like it ....

To be truely honest (since you mentioned it), if you use the bridge pickup alone on the Strat it does sound like a swam is coming but it is not bad with on the clean with that pedal and use the mid and bridge pickups
Quote by _KurtCobain_77
Jackson WRMG Warrior. I can't get enough of Jackson necks.

+1 on the WRMG
Peavey 3120
Mesa 2x12 Rectifier Cabinet
Jackson RR5
Jackson DKMG
LTD EC-1000
TC Electronic Polytune
BOSS RV-5
BOSS DD-7
MXR 10-band EQ
EHX Small Clone
Dunlop 535Q Crybaby
BOSS NS-2
Voodoo Lab Pedal Power 2+
Now that I have been "brought-to-earth" a little bit, I am only looking for:
Basic Specs wanted:
-A Jackson, a B.C. Rich, or an Ibanez (mid-level guitar please)
- Seymore Duncan (no EMGs please) and Original Floyd Rose Tremolo system or something close to it as long as it works well (seen some Ibanez tremolo systems that works just as well)
-The cheaper it is without giving up awesome sound would be nice since it is my 19th birthday, so left over money is for beer
-under $1000, crazy looking body but no V guitars at all (reason why on previous posts)
-MG amp is going to get replaced anyway so this guitar purchase will determine what amp I am going to get in the future. So it can blow out for all I care.

If I can't buy a good guitar now, then what should I get with the money that I am getting? (other than an epic amount of beer :P)
If I were you I would wait until 2010 to see if any new models arrive that way the 09 models may go on sale for even cheaper.

But I do understand that it is really hard to wait for things like this.

Just keep checking web sites like Sam Ash and Guitar Center to see when things go on sale. I know you don't like V shapes but Sam Ash just had the RR24M Jacksons on sale for 599.99 with a case which lists for 1799.99....thats a killer deal, even if it is a V and has an EMG.....those are the deal you need to keep an eye out for, that way you can have a pretty much top of the line guitar but only pay for a mid lever guitar. Gotta stretch that dollar as far as you can.

Good luck with your search.
Gear
Jackson RR24M - EMG ALX w/ ABQ installed
Ibanez Xiphos - stock
LTD Alexi 600 - stock
Ibanex RG - Tone Zone(bridge), PAF Pro(neck)
Blackstar HT-20H
Fulltone OCD
MXR 10 Band EQ
FOr 1000$, get a Charvel So-cal.
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
Quote by srob7001
If I were you I would wait until 2010 to see if any new models arrive that way the 09 models may go on sale for even cheaper.

But I do understand that it is really hard to wait for things like this.

Just keep checking web sites like Sam Ash and Guitar Center to see when things go on sale. I know you don't like V shapes but Sam Ash just had the RR24M Jacksons on sale for 599.99 with a case which lists for 1799.99....thats a killer deal, even if it is a V and has an EMG.....those are the deal you need to keep an eye out for, that way you can have a pretty much top of the line guitar but only pay for a mid lever guitar. Gotta stretch that dollar as far as you can.

Good luck with your search.

Thanks man for the tip, my birthday is in January 2010 anyway so I will be looking forward to it.
Quote by Slay 'Em
ESP guitars are a better choice.

You wont get an ESP under 1000$
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
Ibanez XPT700. Thru neck Wizard II neck (@_@), and an Edge 3 bridge (I have an RG with an Edge 3, it's not as bad as people on here will tell you.). And it looks killer. The only part you have to worry about is coughing up $700 for it.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Ibanez-XPT700-Electric-Guitar-104317615-i1177174.gc

Since it sounds like you're only interested in getting the guitar now and upgrading the amp later, you can save up for a Peavey Vypyr (these are also a lot better than people will tell you). They come in solid state and tube models, so whatever suits your fancy, they're worth a lot more than they cost.
Get a Jackson KE3
Panties 'round your knees
With your ass in debris
Doin' dat grind with a push and squeeze
Tied up, tied down, up against the wall
Be my rubbermade baby
An' we can do it all

My way - your way
Anything goes tonight
Ibanez XPT700. Thru neck Wizard II neck (@_@), and an Edge 3 bridge (I have an RG with an Edge 3, it's not as bad as people on here will tell you.). And it looks killer. The only part you have to worry about is coughing up $700 for it.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Ibanez-...615-i1177174.gc

Offword92: I love what I am seeing here! When I first laid eyes on it, it making me laugh like a mad man. It has everything that I am looking for. Although I have heard of the Edge 3 breaking in weird places, but most of players still keep the guitar and put in a Original Floyd Rose tremolo system because they are so attached to it. Your right about the money though; $700 is alot =/ still would be a good buy (atleast it is not $5000 lol )! I also looked at the Peavey Vypyr and I wonder why I haven't see these before... I will keep an eye for those amps seeming that they have almost every tone you can think of (like Line 6 but better). A big thank you for the help!

To everyone else: I am still accepting posts to rival this Ibanez though. So if you think you got something better, just post it. Also, if you know any bands that uses one of the brands, post that to so I can have an idea of what the guitars sound like. I know that Kerry King(Slayer) uses many BC Rich guitars, Matt Tuck(Bullet for my Valentine) uses a Randy Rhoads, and both guitarist from Protest the Hero use Ibanezs (love the band and going to see them live in Hamilton, Ontario in a week or so going to be great! YouTube link here if you don't know them:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ypCdGNe3Bvs&feature=related#movie_player )
Last edited by MoshPitWarrior at Dec 2, 2009,
i'd put in a +1 for ESP Ltd here. they are fantastic guitars, you get almost the same specs as the USA models but for a lot less. the quality is very very good and they sound awesome for everything, but best for metal. something like the F-2E http://www.espguitars.com/guitars_f.html is probs down ur alley although i would probs put in some new pickups.

also if you like bullet for my valentine, then padge (the other guitarist) uses ESP exclusively
Tom Anderson Guitarworks

Mayones Guitars

Suhr Guitars

Mesa Boogie

Friedman Amplification

Fractal Audio Systems

Quote by Bladed-Vaults
*Bane voice* ahhh yes. The br00tz, I was born with it. Molded by it. I didnt know of the light until I was already a man.
Something I forgot to mention yesterday (since I didn't think to check LTD):

LTD Deluxe Series M-1000

I'm not sure if you're open to EMGs, but the LTD M1000 is SICK. I would buy one right now if I were a righty.
7-String Legion
Quote by TheJem
Justice4AllOne pretty much mentioned all of my ideas so yeah...pointless pun post.

Quote by MightySumo

Quote by oneblackened
If you like the amp, then who gives a crap. Personally, I like my Spider III 75. I'll upgrade later but it works for what I need it for.

Guitarwise, I'm surprised nobody's mentioned this yet. It looks plain, nothing radical and it doesn't scream "HEY! MY MAKERS SPENT MORE MONEY MAKING ME LOOK COOL THAN SOUND GOOD!" (bc rich)(mocking bird excluded) but at guitarcenter they've dropped the price on the PRS Custom 24 and PRS Paul Allender sig down to $499. Trust me, the Paul Allender is beautiful. I'm absolutely in love with that guitar. That one does look great but plays and sounds even better, Every time I go into GC I sit down with that particular axe. Plus it leaves you with plenty of extra cash.

It's got a very solid tremolo system, bright and powerful pickups and it's a very smooth guitar. Soon as I have the money I'll be picking one up.
Quote by fly135
Great list Rutch. On re-reading this one I'd have to say Solid State means not liquid or gas.

I figured it out.
Quote by Ishiga
Guitarwise, I'm surprised nobody's mentioned this yet. It looks plain, nothing radical and it doesn't scream "HEY! MY MAKERS SPENT MORE MONEY MAKING ME LOOK COOL THAN SOUND GOOD!" (bc rich)(mocking bird excluded)

TS, and all other readers, I'd suggest you ignore this part of Ishiga's post. He's just mindlessly following the UG bandwagon against BC Rich. The Mockingbird is not their only good guitar. If you spend upwards of $600 on a BC Rich guitar, you're very much safe, such as with an NT or NJ series guitar, which are quite nice.
7-String Legion
Quote by TheJem

Quote by MightySumo

Quote by oneblackened
As a former BC Rich owner (Platinum Warlock)... if you're considering a BC Rich in that price range.... NOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!

Seriously, everything else that has been suggested is better than a BC Rich. Unless you've got custom shop dollars to spend, avoid them like the plague.
well had many types of ibanez guitars all great but i must say i just purchased a phrophecy futura oh man lemme tell you this is a thrillride of guitars much to my suprise i never thought i would go to this style... this guitar is comfotable and rips lovley just wanted to let you know its in yout price range and brother it rocks .... im sure whatever you pick you will be happy but i swapped out a brand new ibanez for this futura and i couldnt be happier
Quote by vcphrophecy
well had many types of ibanez guitars all great but i must say i just purchased a phrophecy futura oh man lemme tell you this is a thrillride of guitars much to my suprise i never thought i would go to this style... this guitar is comfotable and rips lovley just wanted to let you know its in yout price range and brother it rocks .... im sure whatever you pick you will be happy but i swapped out a brand new ibanez for this futura and i couldnt be happier

Sorry new guy, always remember to check the dates this topic is a month old.

General rule of thumb is read the rules & don't necrobump. (i'e revive old threads and whatnot)
i my opinio bc rich is shit anymore just get an ibanez. cant go wrong with the necks trems and just overall quality.
Quote by BrokenDstring
Just smear poo all over everything he owns. Trade him for a fake les paul. Turtle his backpack. Bang his friends.

THIS IS WHAT THE PIT IS. RETARDED THREADS. ALL DAY, EVERY GOD DAMN DAY.
W.e you end up doing... my only advice... stay away from BC rich.... IMO Jackson, let alone ibanez, make a much better guitar overall