I just received a Fender Princeton Chrous from my father-in-law last night. It's a pretty nice amp. Needs cleaning up a bit, but way better than my 15w Peavy Rage. Anyway, can someone tell me about the effects loop (it has a mono and stereo) and difference of just running a distortion pedal thru my clean channel??

Also I'm looking for a good distortion pedal to get some brutal (as brutal as possible out of this amp anyway) metal tones. I've listened to sound clips of the Digitech TL-2 and the Boss ML-2 Metal Core. They're both about 100 bucks, what are the pros/cons on both pedals and which would you suggest???
Get the hardwire, much better than any stock boss distortion.
Agile AL3000
Douglas WRL90
SX SR1 STD Plus
J&D Strat
Squier Tele
Sammick TR2
Douglas Draco
Peavey JSX
Bugera V5
TWANGED VJ
Ok, that's what I was thinking the effects was more for, delay, flange, phase, stuff like that. And yea, I've noticed a lot people on here don't particularly care for Stock Boss pedals, why is that exactly? I think the ML2 Metal Core sounds pretty good, but I like the versatility of the TL2, seems as though you can get a ton of different distortions out of it.
my brothers got the metalzone. i told him it sucked (i've played through it) he was like if you set the EQ just right and adjust the distortion and level basically, just to get any use out of it, he has to set it up every day. you shouldn't need to have it set just right to get something usable. a good distortion should have many functions, such as the sansamp GT-2
Yea I listened to the Metal Zone and didn't care for it... but the Metal Core had a lot more bawlz to it... I'm going to run out to GC sometime this week and play thru them all and a few others
Quote by p00fz
Ok, that's what I was thinking the effects was more for, delay, flange, phase, stuff like that. And yea, I've noticed a lot people on here don't particularly care for Stock Boss pedals, why is that exactly? I think the ML2 Metal Core sounds pretty good, but I like the versatility of the TL2, seems as though you can get a ton of different distortions out of it.

Because typically stock BOSS pedals have lots of treble to them and sound very similar to a buzz saw.

I have a DS-1 that is ok, especially as a fuzz, but you could do much better. How heavy do you want? Like Jazz Fusion heavy (which would be pretty easy), or like Deathcore heavy (which will be more difficult)?
Um... I'm thinking more towards the deathcore side, although I'm not exactly sure I know who falls in the deathcore genre
Congratz on the amp...............You don't often hear Fender Princeton and Deathcore in the same sentence very often.
Tech 21 Sansamp GT2
Board:
Pitchblack - Fulltone Octafuzz - Hardwire OD - Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina - MXR Micro Chorus - Diamond Memory Lane Jr - EHX SMMH - Neunaber Wet
Quote by mmjohn
Congratz on the amp...............You don't often hear Fender Princeton and Deathcore in the same sentence very often.

lol yea, but it's what I have for now... so we're going to see how it works... I like a lot of Opeth's distorted tones, some older Pantera stuff... A lot of the stuff I listen now is like Becoming the Archetype, TDWP, a Plea for Purging, Thy Will Be Done, Red and that type of stuff I don't know what "genre" they fall into, but those are close to some of the tones I'm looking at getting close to
Quote by IsThereLoveInSp
Tech 21 Sansamp GT2

I need to stay at 100 or under, but that seems like a very versatile pedal!

Quote by mmjohn
You might check out a Keeley Mt-2 or a Barber Dirty Bomb

thanks for the suggestions, The Modded MT2 sounds pretty decent, from what I heard of the dirty bomb, it just didn't have enough baawlz. If GC has one I will check it out in person.

What exactly do the mods do to the pedals, and is it something you can DIY or do you have to send it to someone??
i bought my old sansamp GT-2 for 65 shipped on ebay. just gotta look out for deals man

if you know how to desolder and solder, you can do them yourself if you can find a schematic and layout and stuff. i've half modded my DS-1, need to get a few parts. it sounded terrible when i bought it
Thanks man. And yea, I plan on running out to Guitar Center (maybe even Woodwinds & Brasswinds as well) and checking out as many as I can, on a similar as possible amp I can find before I settle my mind on one pedal.

So far I want to check out the Barber and Sansamp (are these two going to be hard to find at GC or Woodwinds and Brasswinds??) the Boss ML-2, and Digitech Hardwire TL2 and probably whatever else I run across
Quote by p00fz
Thanks man. And yea, I plan on running out to Guitar Center (maybe even Woodwinds & Brasswinds as well) and checking out as many as I can, on a similar as possible amp I can find before I settle my mind on one pedal.

So far I want to check out the Barber and Sansamp (are these two going to be hard to find at GC or Woodwinds and Brasswinds??) the Boss ML-2, and Digitech Hardwire TL2 and probably whatever else I run across

I doubt you'll find a Barber pedal or sansamp at a GC.........somethings are worth ordering and waiting for.
I understand that, but I don't want to buy something that I can't test out and make sure I want it first hand
Ah, the dilema! What to do? Do you save up for an amp that is beter suited to your needs, or try to buy a bedal or stompbox that canemulate it (sort of)?

The short term solution is obviously to get the pedal, but in the long run, make sure that whatever you buy now will enhance your sound later with a better suited amp. Otherwise, just pissing money away.
Quote by Jaysin
Ah, the dilema! What to do? Do you save up for an amp that is beter suited to your needs, or try to buy a bedal or stompbox that canemulate it (sort of)?

The short term solution is obviously to get the pedal, but in the long run, make sure that whatever you buy now will enhance your sound later with a better suited amp. Otherwise, just pissing money away.

Agreed!!!

I'm going out to GC today after work to check some stuff out... Thanks for the help all!!

I might also stop by Woodwinds & Brasswinds... see what they have over there...
Quote by p00fz
lol yea, but it's what I have for now... so we're going to see how it works... I like a lot of Opeth's distorted tones, some older Pantera stuff... A lot of the stuff I listen now is like Becoming the Archetype, TDWP, a Plea for Purging, Thy Will Be Done, Red and that type of stuff I don't know what "genre" they fall into, but those are close to some of the tones I'm looking at getting close to

If you like the sound that Opeth makes, then you've at least got some hope at getting a metal sound through this amp, because God knows you're not going to get any flat-out, mids-scooped, insanely high-gain sound through, well, any Fender amp

Basically, don't get the MT-2, it's just not worth it - you can occasionally get a bearable sound out of it, but your chances are slim. I haven't played it, but maybe try the MXR Fullbore Metal - the demos sound decent, unlike the MT-2's ones...
Quote by kenan6346
If you like the sound that Opeth makes, then you've at least got some hope at getting a metal sound through this amp, because God knows you're not going to get any flat-out, mids-scooped, insanely high-gain sound through, well, any Fender amp

Basically, don't get the MT-2, it's just not worth it - you can occasionally get a bearable sound out of it, but your chances are slim. I haven't played it, but maybe try the MXR Fullbore Metal - the demos sound decent, unlike the MT-2's ones...

Yea, I realize I'm not going to get insanely br00tal tone out of this amp. But it was free and I have to try and make teh metalz from it... for now