I need a tube halfstack for under $400, preferrably lower. I play mostly rock like Weezer and The White Stripes. I need to to be pretty powerful, so I'm not forced to upgrade my amp because of volume for a while, and I gig. Right now I'm looking at the Peavey Windsor, but I'm looking for more suggestions. If you need to know anything else, just ask. Thanks!
For $400 there's no chance in hell of a good halfstack - you can barely get a good 4x12 for that price.

Bugera 1960 V55 is by far your best bet, unless you can find some good used deals near you. A Laney VC30 would also work really well. Both very very good amps, especially for the price.

And don't give me that old '30W combo is gonna be too quiet' bullshit!

EDIT: Yikes,Laneys are ridiculously expensive in the US! Consider the Peavey Classic 30 instead.
Last edited by kyle62 at Dec 1, 2009,
Quote by kyle62
For $400 there's no chance in hell of a good halfstack - you can barely get a good 4x12 for that price.

Bugera 1960 V55 is by far your best bet, unless you can find some good used deals near you. A Laney VC30 would also work really well.

+1
Quote by kyle62

Bugera 1960 V55 is by far your best bet, unless you can find some good used deals near you. A Laney VC30 would also work really well.

The windsor is supposed to be nice at $400-$450 used. I really don't want a combo as I don't want to have to save up for a head and cab at once when I go to get nicer gear later on.
Quote by Harmonicer
The windsor is supposed to be nice at $400-$450 used. I really don't want a combo as I don't want to have to save up for a head and cab at once when I go to get nicer gear later on.

The Windsor head is a nice amp...and well worth the money. They sound very much like a JCM....which may or may not be the sound you're looking for. The cleans on the Windsor aren't great (you CAN get it to clean up by rolling your guitar volume back, using the low gain input, and turning the gain down on the head). The cabinets (like most Peavey cabs)...suck terribly. I get better low end out of my computer speakers
Quote by Harmonicer

What's wrong with just using a combo? I'm sure Brian May, Rory Gallagher, Jack White and a whole lot of other guitarists would disagree with you.
Stacks are fantastic, but if you're on a low budget they're a really bad choice (unless image is more imporant to you than sonuding good).

The Windsor is brighter than the sun and harsh sounding. The cab is crap, you'd be better off with a half-decent 2x12.
Not bad for the price, but a very very long way from good.
Especially compared to the Bugera 1960.
Quote by kyle62
What's wrong with just using a combo? I'm sure Brian May, Rory Gallagher, Jack White and a whole lot of other guitarists would disagree with you.
Stacks are fantastic, but if you're on a low budget they're a really bad choice (unless image is more imporant to you than sonuding good).

The Windsor is brighter than the sun and harsh sounding. The cab is crap, you'd be better off with a half-decent 2x12.
Not bad for the price, but a very very long way from good.

As I've already said, I don't want to have to buy both a cab and head at once when I start getting more expensive gear later on. Do you have any $220> 2x12s you would like to suggest?
Quote by kyle62

+1

I haven't played one yet...but they look promising. And for the price you can't really go wrong.
Quote by Harmonicer
As I've already said, I don't want to have to buy both a cab and head at once when I start getting more expensive gear later on. Do you have any $220> 2x12s you would like to suggest?

And who says you need to? Buy a combo and you can add a cab to it later. Then sell the combo and buy a head.

Stacks for 400$ are just... impossible. Good ones anyway. If you want a stack that is actually good you'll want to invest roughly 1000$ - and that's talking about used gear!

Please, just don't do it. It's a bad idea.

EDIT: Also, plus one on a used Peavey Classic 30, those are available for 350$ used easily. You can get the head version of it, too, for about 300$-350$, but they're rare compared to the combo.
Last edited by TheQuailman at Dec 1, 2009,
Quote by TheQuailman

EDIT: Also, plus one on a used Peavey Classic 30, those are available for 350$ used easily. You can get the head version of it, too, for about 300$-350$, but they're rare compared to the combo.

another fine suggestion. There's a 212 Peavey Classic on the KC craigslist right now for $250 that I considered buying...but I have too much shit as it is
Quote by eyebanez333
another fine suggestion. There's a 212 Peavey Classic on the KC craigslist right now for $250 that I considered buying...but I have too much shit as it is

Bullshit, you can never have enough gear.

Anyway, the Classic 30, Bugera V55 and maybe a Vypyr 60 should be what you're looking for.