I loaned out my Fender Deluxe 85 (80's solid state, red knobs) a few days ago and they managed to blow the speaker. Geez thanks. I'm shopping for a new one and while I've always liked the sound of the amp, I'm just as inclined to try something new as replace it with the standard speaker. This is not my main amp, and I am not seeking any particular tone out of it. I mostly just want to be able to look at the specs for a speaker online and determine whether it will handle the amp appropriately before I bother to find out what people think of how it sounds.

It says on the back of the amp 200 WATTS. I had always assumed it must be 85 watts, due to the name since I never actually read the back panel. I guess I just made that up, since it doesn't say anything about 85 watts on there. Confusion just beginning to set in...

I've read a number of threads on the subject now, and have learned a few things but still get confused when trying to gather information on actual speakers for sale. For example, I will see a brand new 12" Eminence guitar speaker for sale listed as a 25 watt speaker, but for a lot more than I was intending to pay.. Why is it so much if it is only 25 watts? That seems like an awfully fancy speaker for a practice amp. Clearly I'm missing something important. Will it really only handle 1/8th of the power this little combo amp produces? Is it intended only to be used in tandem with other speakers in a larger cab? Would this thing explode the second I try to turn it up in my Deluxe 85?

Thanks!
Price =/= wattage. Quality is a major issue above all else when it comes to speakers.
I do realize that price does not equal wattage but still need some clarification because I'm seeing a lot of high priced speakers at <30 watts...

The input power thing makes sense. It does say INPUT POWER a couple lines above that. It's not entirely legible but here's a thread I found on a foreign site that has some pictures of the identical amp.
http://www.gitaartabs.nl/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?num=1224183338
Last edited by foetus66 at Dec 1, 2009,
How badly 'blown' is the speaker? If there's only a smallish tear/rip in the cone you can easily repair it with tissue paper and PVA glue.

Also, if you think 25W and lower are only 'practice amps', you need to go and play a Marshall 1974x, Vox AC15, Blackstar HT-5, Fender Blues Jr, Budda Superdrive 18, or any number of other awesome low-wattage amps.
I hope you're making the guy who blew it out pay for the repair.
It doesn't look that bad, and probably is repairable. I may very well try that first but wanted to get an idea of what to look for. There just seem to be an awful lot of nice looking 12" guitar speakers out there that my limited knowledge deems incompatible with my amp and if I'm incorrect about that I want to know why.

As for having them pay for the repair....... I get that I should, but it's a touring band living on top ramen and they've already moved on. If this were an amp I needed for a live set that may also be a different story but for now i'm just looking at it as a project.
well the repair was easier than i even thought. i haven't tried it out yet but i'm pretty sure this will hold.

WtrPlyr- that's what I would have hoped to do but for some reason I forgot to mention that nowhere on the speaker itself does it list a wattage, unless it is in some secret code. The only thing I can recognize of significance is that it is 8ohms. It just says FENDER MUSICAL INSTRUMENTS - special design speaker. Then there is a long series of numbers on the side, and another spot where it says 8ohms.