i keep changeing strings on my ovation balladeer i have some d"addario exp16 phosphor bronze lights on there now i prefere light strings give me a suggestion i cant find any im happy with and i play like an angel
Strings don't get much better than the D'Addario EXP line, so if those aren't cutting it for you, not many will. You could try the EXP11 lights or EXP15 extra-lights, or go to something beyond D'Addario.

What is it that you don't like about your current ones?
I hate Daddarios for some reason. They always seem to break on me when i need them most. I agree with dweb go with John Pearse strings I use them on all my acoustic instrument including my dobro.
I do sure love me them Gibsons boy
well u see ive tried a handful of brands the one thats sounded the best so far have been martin light inexpensive strings thats all im saying i just wanted a suggestion i dont need to explain myself
Quote by stringbenderjoe
well u see ive tried a handful of brands the one thats sounded the best so far have been martin light inexpensive strings thats all im saying i just wanted a suggestion i dont need to explain myself

If you can explain what you don't like about the current strings, it will help us make better suggestions. Were they too bright or dark sounding? Too hard to fret cleanly? Do they wear down too quickly?
I have never played with "John Pearse strings," but I have heard some good things about them. I bought my Ovation not to long ago, and the guy who set it up put some D'Addarios on I thought they were good. I've used elixir (.11) strings on my ibanez, seagul, and yamaha though they have a nice sound. They feal really slick, are really bright, and they normaly last me like 3 months.
Last edited by redneckrebel at Dec 1, 2009,
daddario's are to bright and they sound kind of twangy metalic but im gonna try these john pearse strings
whenever you feel a guitar is too bright using phosphor bronze strings, try silk and steels. they really tame that brightness and bring a warmth to the sound.
John Pearse are nice and warm, but they didn't last long for me.

Anyway... if you want a less bright sound, you might want to just keep playing in the strings. New strings are always brighter. I've kept the Martin Eric Clapton Signature strings on my Martin for aout 3 or 4 months now. They sound absolutely wonderful right now. The sound is just so rich compared to normal.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
I use either Elixir nanos or D'Addarios phospur/bronze on my O's. I like the sound of both.

If you are using a pick, you might try changing that. Different materials, thinknesses, shapes, etc. I was playing with that last night. Got some interesting results. Heavier/darker, Lighter/brighter, but materials and brands had subtle differences.
--- Joe ---
77 Bradley LPC || 07 PRS CE22 || 11 PRS MC58 Artist || 95/02 Fender Strat || 99 Gibson LP DC Std Lite
06 Ovation Elite-T || 12 Martin GPCPA4
Boss GT100 || Peavey Stereo Chorus 400 || Peavey Bandit 75 || Roland JC77
Well, I got my Ovation for almost a full year, and I'm using an Elixir Custom Light .12... Actually, I'm using those same Elixir even on my electric guitar so without using some effects I get the tone and vibe I want!

But, as you all know - de gustibus non disutantum! ;-)