I'm thinking about a small, good sounding tube combo for practice/home use.

Would a Peavey Valveking 112 with say, quality tubes and a V30 be a good option? Probably run an OD into it for teh br00talz.
Quote by )(yperX
I'm thinking about a small, good sounding tube combo for practice/home use.

Would a Peavey Valveking 112 with say, quality tubes and a V30 be a good option? Probably run an OD into it for teh br00talz.

tube, speaker swaps...an OD and/or EQ pedal is usually what it takes to wake up a VK. Transformer swap as well...but for what you're going to use it for, your upgrades should make quite the difference.
With all the upgrades listed it will make it a pretty fine amp! I really want to do the transformer swap in mine!!!

For home use it's quite loud though... Yes there's always the volume knob but at anything below 2 without a boost/EQ lacks clarity from personal experience.
Ibanez RG370DX
Schecter C-1 Classic
Valveking 112 w/ Celestion V30
Bad Monkey
Tanglewood TW28 Acoustic
Well I'm just asking because I have a Peavey Bandit 112 and I think it sounds great.

Would a modded VK 112 sound significantly better? How about weight, are they really heavy?
Quote by )(yperX
Well I'm just asking because I have a Peavey Bandit 112 and I think it sounds great.

Would a modded VK 112 sound significantly better? How about weight, are they really heavy?

Stock, I've found they sound muddy and kinda eh overall, but I've started to like the modded VK, however.

Tube amps are typically pretty heavy, but 112 combos are easier to haul because they're physically smaller, and thus easier to lift. So yes, it will be heavier, but it won't seem as heavy as a 212 combo.
Thanks for the input, it's awfully tempting now. Really not sure what I want to do...GAH!

If it'll sound significantly better than my Bandit I'll probably go for it.
A valveking is still loud as F for practice/home use I thought. I sold mine. While I don't disagree that a speaker swap and OD help the VK, to me its just not worth it by the time you put the money into it because you can just get something else that already does what you want.
The 112 is about 20kg. So not too bad but if you're hauling it a long distance then pretty heavy!

I think, unless you buy the amp used, your money is better spend on something else that sounds great without mods. If you're only at home practicing, then consider something like the Blackstar HT-5, Vox Night train/AC4, Blackheart Handsome devil/little giant.... just to name a few, with the HT5 generally getting the casting vote as the favourite!

If you're in a band practicing too, a 15 watt valve amp should get over the mix but a 5 watt may be little quiet depending on if your drummer likes to hit his cybals hard
Ibanez RG370DX
Schecter C-1 Classic
Valveking 112 w/ Celestion V30
Bad Monkey
Tanglewood TW28 Acoustic