Upon the purchase of my beautiful new Ibanez, I'm retiring my Squier Strat so I can turn it into a blues machine.

On the list of upgrades:

Refretting 12-22 (I won't be doing this part)
Tremolo Replacement, SRV style (trem bar above strings)
Texas Special Pickups
New Knobs
New Pickup Switch
New Output Jack

And to top it all off, I'm probably going to give it a new paint job...maybe a cherry sunburst or something to that effect. Anybody know how to give it a flametop look?

I know what most of you are thinking. "Why the hell are you overhauling a Squier when you can buy a new Fender for what it's going to cost, with less hassle?"

Well, this old strat was my first electric, and it holds a lot of sentimental value. It plays great for a budget guitar, but it's a bit worn out.

When it's finished with, I'm probably going to put 11s or 12s on it to give it a good thick tone.
Setup:
Ibanez GRG170DX
- D'Addario 9s
Squier Stratocaster
- D'Addario 11s
Kona Cutaway Acoustic
- D'Addario 12s
Kona K35 Amp
Rocktron Metal Planet Distortion Pedal
Dunlop Original Crybaby Wah
You should get new pots and a new nut too. New tuners would be nice too if you want to spend that much.
You can give it a flametop look by putting a flamed top on it...or a veneer, at the least. (cheaper and easier than a real top, but won't really affect the tone, since it'll be a less than a mm thick, probs.)
Honestly there's no point in tremolo replacement unless you really want to be that much of an SRV look alike. It does nothing to change your tone and it's kind of a waste of money IMO, but hey it's your guitar.
Quote by forsaknazrael
You should probably mug John Frusciante or Ritchie Blackmore. They're small guys, we could take 'em.

Just look out for that other guy in the Red Hot Chili Peppers, Will Farrel. He's a tall mofo, got a long reach.

Quote by Invader Jim
I give up.

Quote by VoodooCow229
Honestly there's no point in tremolo replacement unless you really want to be that much of an SRV look alike. It does nothing to change your tone and it's kind of a waste of money IMO, but hey it's your guitar.

Well, the current tremolo has the threaded end of a tremolo bar stuck in it (I got too rough with the cheap trem bar that came with it)...and the whole thing is starting to rust from years of palm sweat.
Setup:
Ibanez GRG170DX
- D'Addario 9s
Squier Stratocaster
- D'Addario 11s
Kona Cutaway Acoustic
- D'Addario 12s
Kona K35 Amp
Rocktron Metal Planet Distortion Pedal
Dunlop Original Crybaby Wah
Quote by VoodooCow229

The difference between a Squier sustain block and a real one to me is a pretty nice change.