Page 1 of 3
What would you say would be the most under rated guitar or amp ever?

For example, I think I'd say the Jim Deacon Strat copy. They are absolutely amazing, I actually prefer this £99 guitar's sound to an American Strat! The reviews on Harmony Central are great too, so clearly I'm not the only one, and yet their not very popular at all!

Anyway, please post your opinion on the most under rated guitars and amps here, it'll be interested to get a fair few of your ideas
Gear:

Vintage VS6 (Wine Red)

Marshall VS100 Valvestate head with 4x12 angled cab

Squier Strat (Fiesta Red) 90's, Korean
Gibson RD Artists. You hardly ever hear of them, the re-issues were ugly, but the originals are Godly...
You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
Out on parole, any more instances of plum text and I get put back in...
Quote by Eurozeppelin
What would you say would be the most under rated guitar or amp ever?

For example, I think I'd say the Jim Deacon Strat copy. They are absolutely amazing, I actually prefer this £99 guitar's sound to an American Strat! The reviews on Harmony Central are great too, so clearly I'm not the only one, and yet their not very popular at all!

Anyway, please post your opinion on the most under rated guitars and amps here, it'll be interested to get a fair few of your ideas

Have you even played an American Strat ? Comparing a piece of shit to to a truly great guitar, give us a break.
It's my opinion, maybe not yours If you disagree, that's fine, I just prefer the sound, and it's NOT a piece of shit
Gear:

Vintage VS6 (Wine Red)

Marshall VS100 Valvestate head with 4x12 angled cab

Squier Strat (Fiesta Red) 90's, Korean
^the problem is it looks like a bad copy mashup.

Anyway, I'd have to go with Ibanez' lower range RG's, at least here, because of massive Edge III bandwagoning.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by oneblackened
^the problem is it looks like a bad copy mashup.

Anyway, I'd have to go with Ibanez' lower range RG's, at least here, because of massive Edge III bandwagoning.

I'd like to meet some of the guitar's they're "mashing up".
No guitars nowadays have a Slanted Humbucker in the bridge, or a mini humbucker in the neck, and fewer guitars are having middle single coils (exception being strats and Ibanez).
all of the kramers that i have played from the 80's were very solid feeling and sounding but they are never really talked about (unless brought up about the new kramer stuff brought out by gibson)
Deals done with:
lfrz93
mmjohn
Quote by Punk_Ninja
I'd like to meet some of the guitar's they're "mashing up".
No guitars nowadays have a Slanted Humbucker in the bridge, or a mini humbucker in the neck, and fewer guitars are having middle single coils (exception being strats and Ibanez).

it looks like a cross between a Kramer Baretta, an HSH superstrat, and a misshapen LP.
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Fernandes models

I hardly hear anyone talk about them,I'm the only person in my area who owns one,and they're great guitars IMO.

Also,Washburn doesn't get the credit it deserves.

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

Quote by oneblackened
it looks like a cross between a Kramer Baretta, an HSH superstrat, and a misshapen LP.

Though the only things that are reminiscent of a Baretta and a HSH super strat in there are two of the pickups (and I guess the selector switch).
The scale length, too. IIRC the Nighthawks had 25.5" scales. Also the bridge.
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
That's opening quite a can of worms. Everyone has their own opinions. What I think is truly underrated can be what someone believes is overrated. And out of the endless amount of guitars out there, it's hard to find "the most underrated guitar of all time".
UG's AC/DC Lover
Quote by Rocker_94
That's opening quite a can of worms. Everyone has their own opinions. What I think is truly underrated can be what someone believes is overrated. And out of the endless amount of guitars out there, it's hard to find "the most underrated guitar of all time".

How dare you get all philosophical with logic and reasoning! This UG Sir,where one must blindly yell out opinions then viciously attack anyone who disagrees with said opinions.

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

this is going to turn into a thread about good guitars that are not famous. I agree with the nighthawk, badass guitar that never got a chance
squier 51's. you can find them for around $100, and they're solid basswood, with decent pickups. definitely a good 2 or 3 steps above most other cheap squiers! and they're out of production.
Warmoth Telecaster Deluxe. Warmoth Strat. Seagull Artist Portrait Acoustic.

"Well good God damn and other such phrases, I haven't heard a beat like this in ages!"
-Dan Le Sac Vs The Scroobius Pip
Quote by Pr0gNut
How dare you get all philosophical with logic and reasoning! This UG Sir,where one must blindly yell out opinions then viciously attack anyone who disagrees with said opinions.

Sigged
"Guitar is tactile, It's about how you play it"
- Joe Bonamassa

The Gibson Les Paul and the Fender Stratocaster,

They are so good that they cannot be appreciated enough.
Mesa/Boogie Road King v1
Marshall JMP 2203 '78
Vox AC30 H2 Heritage HW
Fender Deluxe Reverb '65 RI
Gibson Les Paul Custom '57 Historic RI '05
Fender American Vintage '52 RI Telecaster '02
Fender American Vintage '62 RI Stratocaster '07
Quote by RMB

really? that makes so little sense that it may even be right. or wrong. It all depends on how you look at it! :P
Don't fret; it's better that way!
forget the exact model name but this aria (pro star II?) LP copy that i learned on was terrific!

Quote by Banana Wedgie
Hondo Explorer. Set neck, earliest dimarzios, made of mahogany.... going on Ebay for £220....

I would of bought it but I didn't have the money at the time.

several months ago my friend bought this sea green hondo for $100. i dont know what all they make and im not sure if this would be considered their explorer model, but it didnt sound too bad! upper fret access was hideous though!

7 String+ ERG Legion!!

LTD Snakebyte
Agile AL-727
ESP Horizon
Warmoth Swirled 7
Schecter C-1 Classic
Frankentele
Laney Ironheart 60w + Avatar Cab

Quote by SYLrules88
forget the exact model name but this aria (pro star II?) LP copy that i learned on was terrific!

That, and the Aria XX-I. It was such a good guitar, at least the one I played was.
Quote by RMB

No.

No.

No.
Quote by CaptinSpalldin
No.

No.

No.

OH NOES! OPINIONS!

IMO the Gibson Maraurder seemed like a really good guitar on paper, and all semi hollows and hollowbodies will forever be underrated for playing with distortion
Quote by fleajr_1412
You have amazing taste in men.

Are You a PROG-HEAD? I am.
I think PRS is underrated. They have some sweet guitars, and they are very versatile. People are just turned off by the price. Also, people only care about Taylor acoustics, but personally I think their few electrics are top notch.

I think the Ibanez RG is OVERrated, actually. I don't get the hype.
Gretsch Electromatic Series,
Epiphone Riviera,
Burns guitars,
etc
etc
etc

There's so many massively overlooked guitars.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
Although I personally dislike them, I say Parker.
'64 Fender Telecaster
'08 Epiphone Prophecy EM-2
'06 Epiphone Les Paul-100
'08 Squier Strat Mini
'03 Ibanez AEG10
'90 Yamaha FG730S
'31 Kay Archkraft
Definetly Cort, Washburn and Maton electrics.

Gibson Les Paul Traditional Satin
Fender 72' Thinline Telecaster
Fender Am Telecaster
Bad Cat HotCat 30R

Korg Pitchblack
Xotic BB Preamp
TC Flashback X4
Strymon Timeline
EHX POG 2
JHS Double Barrel
Quote by Pr0gNut

I'm not saying, I'm just saying. :P Very well said indeed though.
UG's AC/DC Lover
I'm going to have to say the low end ibanez RGs. specifically the RG321MH. Amazing guitar for the price.
Stuff:
-Orange Tiny Terror head
-Roland Cube 20x
-Ibanez SA
-Ibanez RG7321
-Fender MIM Strat
-EB Music Man SUB 1
A Bond Guitar is underrated in my opinion. They are very unique but are not well known at all.

I have to also agree with Kurapica about the Gretsch Electromatic Series. They are amazing guitars for the price. I'm surprised more people don't have them.
"Notes are expensive, spend them wisely." - B.B. King
Devlin Guitars. I own two a Wraith and an Interceptor. They are two of my favorite guitars to play they are built well the Spitfire Pups sound amazing and their customer service is the best I ever dealt with. I rarely see any one post about Devlin and never people who actually own them.

John
I got a Challenge VP strat for Christmas four years ago. Man this is one fine axe plays and looks awesome, and has held up well. For a cheap guitar it is very well made.
ROCK'N 6 STRINGS GRINDING PICKS INTO POWDER
I think low end ibanez's and all schecters are extremely underrated.
Quote by Mad Marius
DBZ guitars, love'em. Especially their Les Piccolo model.
samicks, their older korean-made goods are top notch, i've got an old samick strat a buddy gave me and its very decent
Gretsch White Penguin. its by no means a "cheap" guitar, but it's always been living in the shadow of the White Falcon. imo the Penguin is the best Gretsch, but nobody else seems to agree

Last edited by Lt. Shinysides at Dec 2, 2009,
Page 1 of 3