I have been playing for 6 months so far, and i'm after a half decent electro acoustic guitar, something more then £200 ideally.

maybe a Tanglewood one? any recommendations?
Quote by dimarzio77
Fender Stratacoustic or Telecoustic guitars

I think it would be best to stay away from novelty guitars, especially as a beginner. They sound like toys.

Tanglewood makes some nice stuff, as does Yamaha. Both would be worth investigating. If you decide you don't need built in electronics, your options will open up tremendously.
Last edited by GC Shred Off at Dec 1, 2009,
If your after somthing amazing pluged in I got my ovation for $250 (they sound like crap without an amp though), but f you want some thing that sounds good both pluged in and unpluged I wound look into some yamahas.

eDit:here this was my first electro-acoustic
http://www.samash.com/p/FX325%20Acoustic%20Electric%20Guitar%20Natural_-49955821
it sounds ok
Last edited by redneckrebel at Dec 1, 2009,
An old guitar instruction book I had suggested a single cutaway acoustic archtop with a pickup as a student guitar. Get an archtop that's built to be played unplugged, not a thin semi-hollow, or one with a sustain block under the top, which sound bad unplugged.
The idea was to get the best guitar you can as a beginner to learn on, then get the amp when you need it later, instead of needing to buy a guitar/amp. combination for the same amount of money, lessening the quality of both.
Good luck hunting.
Last edited by Guitbuilder at Dec 2, 2009,
The best thing to do is go to a good shop and try everything in your price range. AFter 6 months of playing you will be able to tell which is the right guitar for you. Try the guitars plugged in and unplugged to compare the sound and also the feel of them.

I bought an electro acoustic recently and played several guitars before I found the right one.
Not meaning to hijack the thread, but I have a similar question:

I have a very basic acoustic guitar, I intend on buying a cheap electric until I get used to that, then buy an expensive acoustic and then an expensive electric as I get the $$ for each... what I was wondering is, is it worth it to skip all that and just buy an expensive electro acoustic guitar.. or is there a profound difference between an electro acoustic and the specific (the acoustic or the electric)?
Don't confuse cost with quality, or playability. You can pick the wrong expensive guitar for your uses. I love old archtops, but they aren't all built, or sound the same.
I play my Robelli restoration archtop, $250.00 invested, more than I play my Gibson ES-135, because the Robelli sounds better than the Gibson unplugged. I live in an apartment building with neighbors that can't handle what the amp can do.
The sound any guitar through a cheap amp with headphones is a disapointment, at best also.
To me, if you live at home, or in an apartment, like to play outside, think unplugged, like an acoustic archtop with pickups.
I'd rather have my POD xt and good headphones than an amp and headphones for personal use.
Put your money in the one guitar, and get one that's beautiful to you if you can. If you love it, you'll practice and play it more than a guitar that doesn't inspire you.
Don't forget the guitar stand.
I have been learning on a wonderful acoustic/elctric that only cost me about $225. If you can get the chance to buy a Mr. Potato, JUMP ON IT!!!! I love my Mr. Potato and wouldn't trade it for anything.....well, maybe an American Stratocaster Studio or something but nothing less. Mr. Potato might be a bit difficult to find in the states, but if you can find one, buy it immediately.
Quote by Toolman89
Not meaning to hijack the thread, but I have a similar question:

I have a very basic acoustic guitar, I intend on buying a cheap electric until I get used to that, then buy an expensive acoustic and then an expensive electric as I get the $$ for each... what I was wondering is, is it worth it to skip all that and just buy an expensive electro acoustic guitar.. or is there a profound difference between an electro acoustic and the specific (the acoustic or the electric)?

The difference between an acoustic guitar and an electric guitar is night and day.