im able to sing and play at the same time and even though its sounds good to me. my friends have said it doesn't really sound in key. so im wondering how i can sing better while playing and what notes should i target while singing?
Quote by tidge
what notes should i target while singing?

the right ones
Quote by Spitz13
**** you, i live in uruguay.
You have to analyze in which key you are, and then use the notes which fit to this key. For example, if you're in C major, you can use C D E F G A and B
Ask a dumb question...
Quote by justinb904
im more of a social godzilla than chameleon

Quote by MetalMessiah665
Alright, I'll give them a try, Japanese Black Speed rarely disappoints.

Quote by azzemojo
Hmm judging from your pic you'd fit in more with a fat busted tribute.
Try recording yourself to see how you actually sound then try to improve upon it. Chances are you will always sound good to yourself even if you don't sound good at all.

And to beat everyone else singing thread.
Quote by aldo47
(i thought hot strings would make me finger faster.)
so i tried to set my strings on fire by putting a lighter on the high e string n it cut it so wtf??!!? i passed the lighter rrly slowly by it for less then a sec n then it snapped...
you just have to use your ear. try some scale exercises. get your guitar and play some scales in different keys and just try to sing each note making sure its spot on. then try some different exercises like different intervals.
It sounds like you need to work on your pitching. Play the melody on your guitar, and then sing it, make sure the notes are exactly the same. If you need to, play each note on the guitar and then sing it to 'La', making sure your pitching is completely correct. Also, make sure what your singing is in your range, if you're going too high/low then you will go off key.
TO = used for expressing motion or direction toward a point, person, place, or thing approached and reached, as opposed to from

TWO = the number 2

TOO = in addition; also; furthermore; to an excessive extent or degree
play notes on keyboard and match your voice to it singing naaah or nayyy
-PV14 Mixer
-Crown XTI 1000 Amp
-Two PR15 mains
-Shure SM58
-Dbx compressor/gate
Quote by tidge
thanks for the help

anytime
Quote by Spitz13
**** you, i live in uruguay.
Quote by tidge
im able to sing and play at the same time and even though its sounds good to me. my friends have said it doesn't really sound in key. so im wondering how i can sing better while playing and what notes should i target while singing?

What notes should I target while singing? Well, apparently there are no stupid questions, but yeah, trying to hit the right notes would greatly help.

Singers need to have a good ear. Your voice is not like a piano, which you play a key and there's no going wrong, the note you want to play is what you're gonna hear. As a singer, it's all instinct, you need to know that that's indeed the right note you're hitting. One tip to improve your instinct is to play a note on an instrument (a keyboard is great, anything else would do though), and try to duplicate the pitch with your voice, or play the whole melody and sing along to it.

Other tips, try having an earplug in one ear only. That really helps to hit the notes, because you hear yourself in two different ways. Another thing lots of people do is to record yourself singing. I hate that strategy though, because first, I don't really know what that accomplishes. How is that gonna make you improve? It just lets you know what you're doing wrong and just makes you feel like you suck, and there's real easy way to correct what you're doing. How are you gonna just try to sound better? I also hate the feeling of listening to yourself sing. I automatically think I suck or that my voice is annoying, while others might say I'm good.

Another thing, singing while playing, the only advice I can give is to get real good at both first, so that both things are natural and you don't need to think about what you're doing. Most likely what happens is that either you A) Focus on your singing, but mess up on your guitar chords. or B) Focus on playing guitar and you're hitting the wrong notes while singing.

Hope this is any help. Cheers, and good luck.
UG's AC/DC Lover
Another thing lots of people do is to record yourself singing. I hate that strategy though, because first, I don't really know what that accomplishes. How is that gonna make you improve?

Recording contributes to improvement by showing you what you really sound like (so you can identify what specific areas need practise), and by letting you gauge your progress over time (when you compare newer recordings with older ones). You still have to actually practice properly though; you can't just sit there recording crap and expect to magically get better.
Quote by duncang
Ask a dumb question...

There are no stupid questions, only stupid people
Quote by guitarxo
I had a dream about your avatar once, so yes of course.

Quote by Bladez22

every time i see that twirling electrode avatar of yours I know that the post is worth reading or the link is worth clicking

Quote by ascend
Recording contributes to improvement by showing you what you really sound like (so you can identify what specific areas need practise), and by letting you gauge your progress over time (when you compare newer recordings with older ones). You still have to actually practice properly though; you can't just sit there recording crap and expect to magically get better.

I guess that makes sense, I was just saying it's not my favourite strategy.
UG's AC/DC Lover
Almost always the notes in the full chord.  Don't venture outside that until you get comfortable with that...  It's not easy at the start as a guitar strum can sound like "one sound"...so start but doing a chord on a piano a slowly strumming the chord on guitar (strum it once dragging pick and sing then do the same for next chord and so on)
'I love her, but I love to fish...I'm gonna miss her"