Hi,

I have around $200 to spend on a multi-fx. Does anyone have any suggestions? I like the look of the line 6 floor POD plus, is it any good?

Thanks

JT80
First, think to yourself if you really need all those effects. If you can sacrifice some of them you will get much better quality.
Wait.

Roger Waters - 12th May!
what gear are you currently running?
also, what is the closest major city to you?
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
Quote by Jhachey22
what gear are you currently running?
also, what is the closest major city to you?

I live in London (England) so for me $200 means £150. I am presently using my westfield E2000 which is a copy of the gibson SG. I also use an electro acoustic crafter.
The amp I use is the Rowland Minicube. I want an FX pedal as I want to start using new effects as I am borred of my present effects. I love the wah but am not sure whether I want a crybaby or a multi fx with a wah.
Quote by JTeighty
I live in London (England) so for me $200 means £150. I am presently using my westfield E2000 which is a copy of the gibson SG. I also use an electro acoustic crafter.
The amp I use is the Rowland Minicube. I want an FX pedal as I want to start using new effects as I am borred of my present effects. I love the wah but am not sure whether I want a crybaby or a multi fx with a wah.

effects + modeling amp = nono
cheap multieffects + modeling amp = bigger nono

no matter what you run, a cheap MFX unit is going to sound like trash. it's because they use cheap Analogue to digital converters.

start buying effects one at a time. start with the most important and then get specialty pedals. i say buy a used wah and move on from there. Danelectro's Cool Cat series are great beginner pedals as well.

HACHEDIT: actually, you should start by buying this
Fender Champ 600 - £60
http://london.craigslist.co.uk/msg/1482889883.html
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Last edited by Jhachey22 at Dec 2, 2009,
Quote by Jhachey22
effects + modeling amp = nono
cheap multieffects + modeling amp = bigger nono

no matter what you run, a cheap MFX unit is going to sound like trash. it's because they use cheap Analogue to digital converters.

start buying effects one at a time. start with the most important and then get specialty pedals. i say buy a used wah and move on from there. Danelectro's Cool Cat series are great beginner pedals as well.

Do u think I need a better amp? Are the behringer pedals good? If u were to chose 5 pedals which one would you get? (obviously wah- speaking of which is the behringer hellbabe good?)

Thanks

JT80
I would say get a decent wah and start putting the rest of your money towards better guitar and amp........... i made the mistake of buying so much stuff i didnt need, get a decent wah and make a move towards improving your gear not just adding to it(there is a difference).
Quote by metal_fretter
ok so iv started been shredding for a while now. and i was reading other threads and i was wondering, is shredding just playing random notes all over the fret board wherever i want. or am i supposed to shred in some kind of scale??
What do you play music wise?
And dont buy the fender champ!
Quote by metal_fretter
ok so iv started been shredding for a while now. and i was reading other threads and i was wondering, is shredding just playing random notes all over the fret board wherever i want. or am i supposed to shred in some kind of scale??
Quote by les_kris
What do you play music wise?
And dont buy the fender champ!

I wouldnt really be able to generelise as I vary a lot. Sometimes I play rock (but not too heavy), sometimes blues, accoustic and jazz.
Best multi-effects that's not a TC GeForce or AxeFX = Rocktron Replifex/Xpression.

They can be had for around $200.
Okay, all of which generally do not require alot of effects, i stand by getting the wah and saving money for an upgrade on amp and guitar!
Quote by metal_fretter
Quote by les_kris
Okay, all of which generally do not require alot of effects, i stand by getting the wah and saving money for an upgrade on amp and guitar!

Thanks for the advice. But, I suppose if i were to get the FXs I'd play aroung the effects.

If I would upgrade my amp what would u suggest? (I love my guitar and dont really want to change unless new one will be substantially better)
Quote by JTeighty
Do u think I need a better amp? Are the behringer pedals good? If u were to chose 5 pedals which one would you get? (obviously wah- speaking of which is the behringer hellbabe good?)

Thanks

JT80

i think a better amp is a must. the cube is decent, but its really not that goo IMO.

do NOT buy behringer pedals. they are cheaply built and the sound proves it. look for a used wah at your local guitar shop. shouldn't be more than £50.
Quote by JTeighty
U suggested this. But would this suit my needs? It doesn't really have any controls but a volume control.

if you're only going to be playing
Quote by JTeighty
rock (but not too heavy), sometimes blues, accoustic and jazz.

then this amp should do you fine if you get a nice OD. put off getting the wah, get the champ and then use the other £90 to get a nice overdrive or distortion.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Last edited by Jhachey22 at Dec 2, 2009,
Completely disagree about getting the amp. The wah, provided its decent, will still be with you when you have a much improved amp and guitar setup.
The champ is pointless as it will leave very little time before you feel you need to upgrade again. Use your money wiseley dont spend for the sake of spending and look at the gear people whose TONE you admire are using.
Quote by metal_fretter
Quote by Jhachey22
i think a better amp is a must. the cube is decent, but its really not that goo IMO.

do NOT buy behringer pedals. they are cheaply built and the sound proves it. look for a used wah at your local guitar shop. shouldn't be more than £50.

if you're only going to be playing

then this amp should do you fine if you get a nice OD. put off getting the wah, get the champ and then use the other £90 to get a nice overdrive or distortion.

On my Rowland microcube i like using the different amp models (JC clean, Brit combo, R-fier). I also like mixing the gain and tone. (I dont really use the FXs as I cant play a song with the FX on the whole time and it is a bother to go to the amo and switch it off).

What would I need to match these with this amp?

Do you recommend any other amps?

Btw is this an amp ur selling?
Quote by les_kris
Completely disagree about getting the amp. The wah, provided its decent, will still be with you when you have a much improved amp and guitar setup.
The champ is pointless as it will leave very little time before you feel you need to upgrade again. Use your money wiseley dont spend for the sake of spending and look at the gear people whose TONE you admire are using.

I like your logic. So what would u recommend? I get a wah and what amp?
OMG Why are people still talking about the amp that does basically nothing but the wattage of what you have and will need to be replaced as soon as you start taking guitar more seriously................GOD DAMN IT
Quote by metal_fretter
Quote by JTeighty
On my Rowland microcube i like using the different amp models (JC clean, Brit combo, R-fier). I also like mixing the gain and tone. (I dont really use the FXs as I cant play a song with the FX on the whole time and it is a bother to go to the amo and switch it off).

What would I need to match these with this amp?
do you mean what would you need to do to get those sounds (JC, Brit, R-fier) from the champ? that's why i suggested you use the other £90 to get a nice overdrive or distortion pedal.
Quote by JTeighty
Btw is this an amp ur selling?
no, i'm not selling the amp. i live in canada. it would be silly me to sell an amp in england.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Until you have enough money to add a, for example 30 watt tube amp of your liking, i'd leave the amp. Get the wah (i'm happy to recomend) and start saving, in which time you can research the hell out of amps and guitars, id also be happy to chat extensively about options. I just hate seeing people spend money on stuff that wont help or move things forward.

PS im from london, though living in sussex.
Quote by metal_fretter
Quote by JTeighty

Thanks

JT80

Yes.

No.

If you only have $200 to spend on a new amp, just buy weed instead. You need to save up some more before you get out of budget modeling amp territory.
Quote by les_kris
OMG Why are people still talking about the amp that does basically nothing but the wattage of what you have and will need to be replaced as soon as you start taking guitar more seriously................GOD DAMN IT

Sorry so what else would u recommend apart from the wah? What upgrades are u refering too?
Quote by les_kris

an amp doesnt need that many controls to sound good. the champ is a great amp for rock or blues. who says he's not taking guitar seriously already? or that he needs to get a better amp very soon? I've been playing for more than six years now an i've only been through two main amps.

don't get pissy when people don't agree with your opinion.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
A boss dd-3, great fun and seriously good enough to use at all levels.
A Crybaby wah, again fun but good enough to get the mileage out of.
A Slide (for your finger) will be a fun skill to learn looking at your influences and you wont need an upgrade every ten minutes.

And dont appologise, i just felt invisible when that doushe is giving such bad advise!
Quote by metal_fretter
Quote by les_kris
Until you have enough money to add a, for example 30 watt tube amp of your liking, i'd leave the amp. Get the wah (i'm happy to recomend) and start saving, in which time you can research the hell out of amps and guitars, id also be happy to chat extensively about options. I just hate seeing people spend money on stuff that wont help or move things forward.

PS im from london, though living in sussex.

Sorry but Im still new to all this. What is the difference between a tube amp and a regular amp? How much would a tube amp cost? Would u suggest anything less than 30 watts?
Quote by les_kris
A boss dd-3, great fun and seriously good enough to use at all levels.
A Crybaby wah, again fun but good enough to get the mileage out of.
A Slide (for your finger) will be a fun skill to learn looking at your influences and you wont need an upgrade every ten minutes.

And dont appologise, i just felt invisible when that doushe is giving such bad advise!

Do keep in mind that effects you send through a modeling amplifier will cause a lot of trouble.

Quote by JTeighty
Sorry but Im still new to all this. What is the difference between a tube amp and a regular amp? How much would a tube amp cost? Would u suggest anything less than 30 watts?

There are some stickies at the top of the page; you should read them.
Quote by Jhachey22
an amp doesnt need that many controls to sound good. the champ is a great amp for rock or blues. who says he's not taking guitar seriously already? or that he needs to get a better amp very soon? I've been playing for more than six years now an i've only been through two main amps.

don't get pissy when people don't agree with your opinion.

A). I never mention the number of controls on an amp you fool.
B). Its not enough of an improvement to justify what to him may be alot of money.
c). I said becomes more serious, i'm very serious but i could be more serious, fool.
D). its not the difference of oppinion, but the fact that i want the guy to use his money well and your suggestion would be a waste of money for a player at his stage, Fool.

Im british i dont get pissy, canadians get pissy ask anyone from a real country.
Quote by metal_fretter
15-30 watt tube would be a good step up. A healthy improvement.
Quote by metal_fretter
Buy a new amp. A fender vibro champ I reckon. You'll get 5 main effects with different varieties inside of them + 16 amp models including an acoustic setting for plugging in that electro acoustic.
Quote by WtrPlyr
Quote by alans056
Maybe the price tag is clouding your judgment ?
yeah probably. Or the circuits.
Do keep in mind that effects you send through a modeling amplifier will cause a lot of trouble.

That is a helpful comment, seriously, cookie for you.
Quote by metal_fretter
Quote by les_kris
15-30 watt tube would be a good step up. A healthy improvement.

Would a 5 Watt tube still be a worthwhile improvement?
Yes i suppose it would. But be aware that should you want to start gigging, you will need higher out put for anything involving a drummer.
Quote by metal_fretter
Quote by les_kris
Yes i suppose it would. But be aware that should you want to start gigging, you will need higher out put for anything involving a drummer.

Ah. I must really be missing something what is the purpose for the tube? What does it do?
Well for starters, it has a higher watt for watt output compared to solid state(non tube), The tubes produce warmer tones and are basically essential for blues and jazz as far as i'm concerned.

There is nothing that comes close to a pushed valve amp.
I love them so much i actually run two through my live rig and am thinking of adding a third!
Quote by metal_fretter
If you buy Joe Bonamassa live at the royal albert hall DVD you will 'get' the tube sound im talking about.
Quote by metal_fretter
Quote by les_kris
Well for starters, it has a higher watt for watt output compared to solid state(non tube), The tubes produce warmer tones and are basically essential for blues and jazz as far as i'm concerned.

There is nothing that comes close to a pushed valve amp.
I love them so much i actually run two through my live rig and am thinking of adding a third!

Seeing as I am not planning to play in a gig in the foreseeable future, which wattage would u suggest? I dont mind stretching my budget if its worth it. How much would it cost?
Never go higher than 5 watt tube for bedroom work. I am a huge fan of marshall class 5, though its low on features in all honesty. Maybe a blackstar HT-5 Though im not impressed with the ones ive played.

Theres also epiphone valve junior, vox AC4, black heart little giant etc.

Thinking about it, these will really improve your tone and you will always find them handy for home practice or recording.
Quote by metal_fretter
Quote by les_kris
Never go higher than 5 watt tube for bedroom work. I am a huge fan of marshall class 5, though its low on features in all honesty. Maybe a blackstar HT-5 Though im not impressed with the ones ive played.

Theres also epiphone valve junior, vox AC4, black heart little giant etc.

Thinking about it, these will really improve your tone and you will always find them handy for home practice or recording.

Ok, thanks a lot for the advice.
No worries mate, happy playing. Send me an IM if you need anything else, or im on face book, under kris karl faerber. Have a good one.
Quote by metal_fretter