hey UG

Looking for some basic(ish) and cheap recording stuff for computer. Honestly dont have a clue about this stuff so your help will be greatly appreciated.

Have only really looked at the Line 6 Pod studio GX which to me looks like it would do the business but it doesnt have any drum loops (that i know of) so is their away i can get them?

It's only for me in my bedroom so the one input should be fine really.

Any help is appreciated guys.

x
Sounds like you're wanting to spend money doing this by buying a drum machine?

Alternatively find a one bar drum loop from somewhere like LooperMan and download it. I don't know what DAW you're using but in Cubase you can do Time Stretch which will alter it to any Tempo you'd like and still sound acceptable .

Let me know if i'm completely wrong and i'll try and help again
Quote by jailedmenonly
Sounds like you're wanting to spend money doing this by buying a drum machine?

Alternatively find a one bar drum loop from somewhere like LooperMan and download it. I don't know what DAW you're using but in Cubase you can do Time Stretch which will alter it to any Tempo you'd like and still sound acceptable .

Let me know if i'm completely wrong and i'll try and help again

Nah im not looking to buy a drum machine but i dont have any recording gear as of yet. But that looperman site looks great and thats the kind of thing i want. so thanks alot man, real helpful

The line6 Pod GX comes with ableton so im guessing that the drum loops will work with it?

Im pretty impressed with the line6 GX because the amps sound better than my MG and also plenty of effects. It sounds like im getting my money worth.

Is their any better options for around the same price though?
I use the excact same thing mate. Amp simulation as far as i've came across is a frequently disputed topic with people saying they lack realism, but if you drop me a line at jamiedonnellyuk@googlemail.com i'll send you some stuff i've done and it sounds top notch.

I'd stick with the GX, there are others though like GuitarRig, Amplitude and the Peavey one that I forget the name of, but I prefer the POD. I'd reccommend downloading the POD Farm though if it's still free. Much better than Gearbox to use IMO.

I personally don't use ableton so I wouldn't know if it has the same kind of thing as Cubase but it is a DAW so I imagine you can. Just make sure when recording using the POD as an interface you select it as your driver. I didn't realise this for ages and thought my computer needed a new pocket dent!

Hope that's helped

x
They do lack a certain realism because in a sense there's a couple of hundred big one's in the difference:P and the always obvious, real amp tone in contrast to computer tone. There handy though because rather than carrying a lug of an amp, you got a amp simulator the size of a medium book:P So realistically its gonna have, like everything else you can buy, pro's and con's. But there efficient. Affordable, you don't need any tech degree's to use em and there's a good variety to choose from.

Quote by jailedmenonly

I'd stick with the GX, there are others though like GuitarRig, Amplitude andthe Peavey one that I forget the name of

Peavey ReValver .

The Line6 Pod seem's to be the must have, reviews on any sites I've looked them up on are better than there competitors anyway. But personal opinion will always have to be taken into account
^ So true. Everything is all about your own personal feel. However I have found that if you engineer and produce your track well enough using the POD and what not, the difference is not so obvious.
And luckily enough, the engineering is made easier Compared to what use to be used back in the day haha
wouldn't know being 16 . Though from what i've studied I have indeed heard . Not much engineering is really need if you're using stuff like POD cause your guitar and bass is sorted there. You just need patience, a midi sequencer and a decent VST and you have yourself the base of a song
Quote by Exhume2Consume
And luckily enough, the engineering is made easier Compared to what use to be used back in the day haha

TROOF... if I would have only had this stuff back in my day (60's & 70's)
Now running an Eleven Rack with Pro Tools 10.3.3 - it's amazing and I'm having ball with it - worth every penny. PT 10 is tops IMO and the Eleven Rack is a work of art!
Quote by BuckleyFanTom
thanks for all your help guys, really appreciate it. Think i'll get the GX from santa

Hope you find it useful dude
If this hasn't been mentioned, with Ableton, it has some drum loops built in (or you can easily download them) and it might also have the function where the keyboard becomes a type of MIDI keyboard, so you can make your own beats, if you so desire.
Quote by BuckleyFanTom
thanks for all your help guys, really appreciate it. Think i'll get the GX from santa

Don't worry about it mate, just let us know if theres anything else you need help with

www.acmebargig.com

I recommend you not to try DIG 2.0, it's old an even Ken (he made DIG) hate it. The heads are amazing. G-SPOT is comming soon too.

You don't get affordable amps that sounds better than amp simulators. Top notch sound in the real world cost 1000$+. In the amp simulation world, ABG is among the top-notch ones and their sims are FREE.
Quote by GisleAune
www.acmebargig.com

I recommend you not to try DIG 2.0, it's old an even Ken (he made DIG) hate it. The heads are amazing. G-SPOT is comming soon too.

You don't get affordable amps that sounds better than amp simulators. Top notch sound in the real world cost 1000$+. In the amp simulation world, ABG is among the top-notch ones and their sims are FREE.

+100000000000000
Now running an Eleven Rack with Pro Tools 10.3.3 - it's amazing and I'm having ball with it - worth every penny. PT 10 is tops IMO and the Eleven Rack is a work of art!
Download Audacity and get a cheap microphone. The one from RockBand works fine
My Gear

Washburn WV40V
Vox VT30
Fender Squier Strat
Behringer UM 300 distortion pedal
Line 6 Spider IV 15
Quote by MC Lukesta
Download Audacity and get a cheap microphone. The one from RockBand works fine

Except not. Please don't do this. Pretty please with sugar on top. My ears will cry if one more person creates music in this fashion.

The line 6 GX is a great option, it comes with Ableton which will help you make drum and bass loops for building songs. There's a bit of a learning curve but if you PM me I'd be more than glad to walk you through the very simple steps to create a song!
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
Quote by Sid McCall
Except not. Please don't do this. Pretty please with sugar on top. My ears will cry if one more person creates music in this fashion.

The line 6 GX is a great option, it comes with Ableton which will help you make drum and bass loops for building songs. There's a bit of a learning curve but if you PM me I'd be more than glad to walk you through the very simple steps to create a song!

I wouldnt of done that anyways, why would i mic a marshall MG up?

Thanks for the off of help, i'll most likely have to take you up that.

GisleAune; thanks for the link to acmebargig. Looks like some good stuff.

Thanks to everyone else again, really appreciate it. Think i may have a couple ofquestions later on