Page 1 of 4
I mean, I'm sure they like them more than the average listener for the simple fact that they created them, but after playing the same setlist(most bands) nearly every/every other night don't you think they would get sick of their own music. I'm surprised this hadn't occurred to me until now, but even my favorite bands I don't think I could listen to their music that much.

Especially when they have a few REALLY BIG hits, and they play them at every gig throughout their entire career.

I'm not in a band so I wouldn't know, but what about you guys?
They sure do.

I believe Madonna said something like she'd only perform "Like a Virgin" again for 10 million bucks.
I know Kurt Cobain grew to despise Smells Like Teen Spirit and often refused to play it live.
Hull City A.F.C

Quote by Thrashtastic15
crunkym toy diuckl;ess ass ****igkjn ****** **** bitch ass pussy ****er douchecanoe ****** **** you s omn cnt you lieet le biutch
I bet Metallica are really damn tired of Sandman.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by Beserker
They sure do.

I believe Madonna said something like she'd only perform "Like a Virgin" again for 10 million bucks.
And the world can be thankful for that.
Sure. I've been sick of some of my own songs and I'm sure other artists feel the same way, just as people get sick of other songs.
If you look at the profiles of band's members on last.fm, usually they play their own songs the most and quite regularly as well. So they probably do all the time, it depends on what kind of people they are and if they suck.
Last edited by CrimsonBizzare at Dec 1, 2009,
Quote by The Charm
Only if the music sucks.

This
Quote by Albert Einstein
Nuh-uh. Nuh-uh. NUH-UH. NOPE. NO! NOPE! WRONG! NO! UR AN IDIOT! STFU! GTFO!

Quote by genghisgandhi
Eyebrows has no Whoopi Goldberg, for never is she surprised?

slash hates sweet child

we're all listing specific examples, but i'm not sure how they feel about their songs in general.

My mind is going. I can feel it.
I've heard a number of musicians, professional and major label signed as well as independant, say so.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
Quote by freedoms_stain
And the world can be thankful for that.

Indeed, now if only she would get similarly sick of everything else she has produced we might be getting somewhere
One of the guitarists in my band, who writes most of what we play, gets sick of his own songs... We used to have one song that he changed parts of every week because he got sick of them, eventually we scrapped it!
Metallica hate Trapped Under Ice
98% of teens have been around or have had alcohol. Put this in your sig if you like bagels.
Thats why it's better to have a crapload of albums and good songs, but no "hits". You can play something different every night, and the crowd will still love it. Or you could employ a complex mathematical formula to ensure you never play the same setlist twice (I'm looking at YOU James LaBrie).
Current Gear:
Michael Kelly Club Custom 5 Acoustic Bass
Dean Performer Series PE-QM-TGE
Varrios Basic 5 Bass
Acoustic B450 Combo Amp
I support the 2nd Amendment. I don't support people who abuse it.
Quote by NY_FootBall49
Paul from BTBAM is quoted as saying he'd rather step on his genitals with metal spikes then play Selkies again and then they played it again, so they do but you have to play your most popular songs.

I thought that was Dustie?

ahaha, but yeah... you'd think bands would hate the popular tunes after a while.
has a terrible signature.
There was a period where Anthony Kiedis absolutely couldn't play Under the Bridge any more. Also Radiohead and Creep.
R.I.P. M.C.A.
Tweet at me bro
lushacrous loves you
Quote by blake1221
Don't be ludicrous, lushacrous.
Quote by Gunpowder
that joke regarding your username was NOT originally posted by blake1221. That was a Gunpowder original.

I INVOKE SOPA TO SMITE YE FOR THIS FALSEHOOD.
Dave Mustaine is well tired of Trust
After all you fell in love with death,
Life has aborted.
All you've had and all you became,
The night is calling, you pray forth.

Are You a PROG-HEAD? I am.
Quote by MTVget0FFtheAIR
slash hates sweet child

we're all listing specific examples, but i'm not sure how they feel about their songs in general.

He actually doesn't, he's played it at guitar clinics recently and even with fergie on the new album. If he hated it, he wouldn't have recorded the song again.

Epiphone Les Paul Standard w/ SD Alnico Pro II's
Fender Aerodyne Telecaster & Stratocaster
Marshall JCM 800 4104 combo

E-Married to Funny_Page
I read that Robert Plant hates Stairway with a passion .
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

I heard Lemmy say that he doesn't like ace of spades.

Disclaimer: By reading the above post, you agree that El Hilliaro is legally and morally free from any responsiblity should any harm be incurred by said post.

Also, you agree that I'm awesome and own all your stuff now.
Do anything too much and you will get tired of it.

(except that... And that.)

|_|0|_|
|_|_|0|
|0|0|0|
▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄
Quote by /OOM
Metallica hate Trapped Under Ice

This is the only pre-load/reload song i don't like by metallica, so i can see why.
Quote by cam_sampbell
I know Kurt Cobain grew to despise Smells Like Teen Spirit and often refused to play it live.

the reason they stopped playing smells like teen spirit was because it represented everything he hated, MTV, corporate america and the fact that everyone knew the song.
I enjoy going on interviews with Dave Mustaine and Counting how many times it says 'Metallica'

On making a death metal bands logo:
Quote by rabidguitarist
Just duct tape a pen to a dogs face.

UK Hardcore FTW
I haven't hated any of the songs we've written, but then again I do change up all the fills everytime I play it, so it stays original. But we literally practice our 8 songs to death, so that we can record them once we get a chance. The crowd loooooves them though, so they're fun to play. I'm sure if a band wrote a song that was too simple for them, or that they weren't sure about, and they had to play it every show, they'd get tired of it.
Gear:
Fender Hot Rod Deville 2x12
Custom Built Guitar (made it myself)
PRS SE Soapbar II Maple
Fender Stratacoustic (Stolen! )
Digitech RP200
Boss MT-2
Roland Microcube
I like my stuff!
sorry if someone already said this, but i remember seeing a special on vh1 about hair metal or something and the warrant singer said he absolutely hates that cherry pie song
When I was in Catch 22's music video for 'Party Song' we had to hear the song about 412803847120963 times that day while filming, and when we were hanging out later the singer was like 'we're never playing this song again because we all hate it after today' and they actually haven't played it since.

That was one long sentence. Weird.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
Hendrix was sure sick of playing Purple Haze over and over again.
DeVillains!
One thing to keep in mind is that playing a song 500 times is much more enjoyable than listening to it 500 times, unless you play it by rote every time. Take Neil Young as an example; he's played Rockin' In The Free World ~500 times live since '89, and he continues to play it, because they actually play it differently every time: there's enough space in the song to improvise and keep it fresh. Things are probably similar for other bands that jam a lot and play with the structures of songs.

For bands that play very tightly structured music, I imagine it's much more of a problem.
Quote by XxLloydxX
How young would you consider no-pedo attempt
The Dead had the right idea. ****in change it up and jam. They didn't just make a setlist for the tour and play the same damn thing every night. They changed it up every night, and jammed out on a lot of songs. Let them evolve, and keep it fresh.

Zappa did the same thing. A song isn't set in stone once it's finished.
Quote by Shredder XXX
how about the way your entire country generalizes a culture by the actions of a few, citing any Americans idea of a middle eastern person.
Quote by Cannibal Corpse
Perhaps that's more to do with what the song's about?

Maybe a little, but for the most part no, he said it was because he was sick of singing it everywhere he went all the time. It's in his biography
R.I.P. M.C.A.
Tweet at me bro
lushacrous loves you
Quote by blake1221
Don't be ludicrous, lushacrous.
Quote by Gunpowder
that joke regarding your username was NOT originally posted by blake1221. That was a Gunpowder original.

I INVOKE SOPA TO SMITE YE FOR THIS FALSEHOOD.
the guy from a flock of seagulls hates "I Ran (So Far Away)". but that should go without saying. Just kidding, i loves me some 80's synth-pop
Epiphone G-400
Yamaha Pacifica (Mod on hold due to procrastination)
Rocktron Banshee
Marshall 10CD

Quote by geetarguy13

I've never smoked before but it looks like fun.
Page 1 of 4