Okay this is Eddie Van Halen doing Eruption live: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A2I0a7EwWa8&feature=related

Now before you rage and say "zomg go learn something else Eruption is really overplayed" --- I know this. What I'm asking is how does he do the sound he does at 3:34? It's a freaking sexy effect and I can't figure out how he's doing it.
You know, you're probably reading this saying "Hey, I'm bored, maybe this'll be funny?"
It's not. Too bad. No, I am not refunding you those 6 seconds of your life. So :P

Looks like he's trilling notes while pick sliding, which is scraping the pick on the strings.
I never thought Van Halen used sarod! (at 3) That's interesting.
Glad I could let you learn something new, hippieboy.

I knew he was pick sliding I just didn't know how he got that kind of effect FROM pick sliding. To me it sounds like he's actually picking. Maybe he's just pulling off notes really really hard?
You know, you're probably reading this saying "Hey, I'm bored, maybe this'll be funny?"
It's not. Too bad. No, I am not refunding you those 6 seconds of your life. So :P

You pull off with your left hand, possibly like this:

G|-4p2p0h4p2p0-

While lightly sliding your right palm down the string, causing a shitload of harmonics. I suck at it, but it is a nifty trick.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
It's not as useful as alternate picking or other required techniques, but it's a nice little addition to my personal bag of tricks. Thanks again guys!

Can't go wrong with a little EVH flair
Gear
Jackson RR24M - EMG ALX w/ ABQ installed
Ibanez Xiphos - stock
LTD Alexi 600 - stock
Ibanex RG - Tone Zone(bridge), PAF Pro(neck)
Blackstar HT-20H
Fulltone OCD
MXR 10 Band EQ