lm going to teach my friend how to play guitar...any suggestions as to what to teach him
Quote by The_Rooster
Dude its a guitar, not an nuclear weapon...... unless your Chuck Norris.

Quote by RapeStove
That's what she said.

Gear:
ESP LTD KH-202
Peavy 25w
Boss OS-2
Dunlop Crybaby
Boss BF-3
Scales, chords/ power chords, alternative picking would be the most basic things you could teach him.
ok
Quote by The_Rooster

Quote by RapeStove
That's what she said.

Gear:
ESP LTD KH-202
Peavy 25w
Boss OS-2
Dunlop Crybaby
Boss BF-3
Is he a complete beginner?

|_|0|_|
|_|_|0|
|0|0|0|
▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄
^^yup
Quote by The_Rooster

Quote by RapeStove
That's what she said.

Gear:
ESP LTD KH-202
Peavy 25w
Boss OS-2
Dunlop Crybaby
Boss BF-3
In addition to what others have said, find an easy riff from a song he likes and teach him that. Most people give up if they're just forced to play chords and scales and don't learn how to apply them.
Find out what he wants to play. Find the simple open chords for a song he likes (or a song similar to what he likes) and teach him those chords (and tell him what they are called) and the strumming pattern. As he is an absolute beginner that will take him some time. Then ask him what his goals are and work theory (if that is what he wants) and learning songs together.

I'm not a teacher, but that is what i wanted my teacher to do for me when I started learning. So long as they can make it fun so you don't feel bogged down by the theory. However some people would just love to learn songs, some people would like to immerse themselves in theory. In the end, what you teach your friend is going to be the result of communicating with each other. If you can't communicate that much, then you won't make a very good teacher.