I'm giving some basic guitar lessons to my neighbor for $25 a month.
When I started guitar, I had a very good working knowledge of music theory including scales, chords, etc. She's a complete beginner.

Can anyone give me some tips on how to help the theory and basic music stuff click with her while she's practicing?
I've only seen her twice and we've been doing some basic finger-building exercises and chords (and Smoke On the Water, of course) but I'm not really sure where to go from here.

Thanks
stuff:
guitar.
amp.
acoustic.
Quote by Bornlivedie UK
$25 a month? Sure you don't mean hour?

What can I say, I'm a nice guy
stuff:
guitar.
amp.
acoustic.
Questions to be asked.
1, is she hot?
2, what styles does she like?

I would suggest starting with the blues. Show her a few ways to keep a good boogie going, and eventually lead her into soloing.

Once she can do some simple solo work, show her WHY it works, ala theory.
Jesus wouldn't give you the sweat off of his balls if you were dying of thirst.
Quote by Code-E
God, you've gotta be UG's only moron!

Quote by magnum1117
that's right,you certainly are UG's only moron.

Quote by necrosis1193
Read the moron's posts, ironically enough he knows what he says.
Rhythm/strumming patterns, note coordinating, basic beats, time signatures, ect.
Quote by the_axis
What can I say, I'm a nice guy

This is a pretty sweet deal.
I take guitar lessons every week, $15 an hour (well, I'm one of his more advanced students, so I normally stay a little over 2 hours.)

MC name = Bearrorism
Quote by p o e
Questions to be asked.
1, is she hot?
2, what styles does she like?

I would suggest starting with the blues. Show her a few ways to keep a good boogie going, and eventually lead her into soloing.

Once she can do some simple solo work, show her WHY it works, ala theory.

1. She's twelve.
2. F*cking Nickleback.
stuff:
guitar.
amp.
acoustic.
Slowly teach her how to read music, covering one or two strings for a week, then moving on and including more. That's how my teacher did it at first, and it helped me with learning theory on my own later on. And, as unfortunate is it may be, teach her some songs she likes (even if you don't like them). Just some things to keep her interested.
EDIT: Keep it simple, C Major, three notes per string.
Last edited by blizzboy at Dec 1, 2009,
Quote by lord_abyssium
dont let that stop you

Dude, that's disgusting!

she like Nickelback, ergh.

Anyways TS, just start with basic chords, and consistent fingering/coordination, and basic rhythm.
Quote by the_axis
1. She's twelve.
2. F*cking Nickleback.

The Pit does not judge on your taste in women.

Ok, well maybe sometimes.
The B-52 Bombers Group!
Own a B-52 amp? Join the club!

Quote by nashawa
He may be a troll, but he's an incredibly successful troll. So kudos on that.
Quote by the_axis
1. She's twelve.
2. F*cking Nickleback.

1. oh.. ok
2.*suddenly spits drink out mouth in digust/surpise* WHAT!?

Start her out on the blues, and hope that by the time you finish with that, she hates Nickleback. Also tell her that Kerry King did the solo for one of their songs( think it was side of a bullet. one of their lesser-known songs), which is true.
Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
The grandmother is having a baby with her grandson, so the grandson will be his own fathers father, the baby will be his own grandfather, and grandson, and the grandmother will be the mother, and great grandmother?

Quote by TheBurningFish
ಠ_ಠ
Just teach her how to play what she wants, if she wants to learn blues then teach her but if you force her to learn something she doesnt want to then she'll just give up
[img]http://cdn.gs.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/v.gif[/img]
Quote by smartalec007
1. oh.. ok

Start her out on the blues, and hope that by the time you finish with that, she hates Nickleback. Also tell her that Kerry King did the solo for one of their songs( think it was side of a bullet. one of their lesser-known songs), which is true.

The solo to side of a bullet is a demo tape recorded by Dimebag Darrell before his death.
Twitter: ScottWotton
Tumblr: ScottWotton
YouTube: ScottWotton

3DS FC: 5043-1553-4655
Friend Safari: Rock type with Boldore, Pupitar and Barbaracle.

Wants his username as ScottWotton. >.>
Learning about fingering may be a bit too fast for her. try nibbling on her earlobe until she's properly moist before going in for fish fingers.

Just a tip.

EDIT:

Oh god she's twelve, disregard what I just said.
Quote by the_white_bunny
your just a simpleton that cant understand strategy apparently.

Quote by the_white_bunny
all hail king of the penis sucking(i said balls. you said dick for some reason?) Isabiggles
Quote by smartalec007
1. oh.. ok

Quote by Vampire 255
The solo to side of a bullet is a demo tape recorded by Dimebag Darrell before his death.

If that's true.... did someone just mistake Dimebag Darrell for Kerry King??!?

That's like mistaking a T-bone steak for a plate full of shit..
dime recorded that solo for a damage plan track brah
Quote by jimmyled
You have a Badger Song avatar!!!!!

Quote by Oprah
VAJAYJAY

Monkey Ball Sack

Quote by Metallizach
dime recorded that solo for a damage plan track brah

The guitar solo is by Dimebag from the Far Beyond Driven era. Dimebag's girlfriend Rita Haney and his brother Vinnie Paul sent Nickleback the track. At first Nickelback wanted to have Vinnie Paul playing on the track but he refused by stating that Nickelback's drummer Daniel Adair performed just as well as he could. Chad Kroeger, Nickelback's singer/guitarist, said that when he performs this song he actually feels that Dimebag still has a presence on the stage.

Twitter: ScottWotton
Tumblr: ScottWotton
YouTube: ScottWotton

3DS FC: 5043-1553-4655
Friend Safari: Rock type with Boldore, Pupitar and Barbaracle.

Wants his username as ScottWotton. >.>