Page 1 of 2
Which one would be better for modern rock and why?
Ihor

<current gear>
Epiphone Les Paul Standard+
PRS SE Custom 22
Washburn D10SK Acoustic
Peavey XXX Super 40
Boss NS-2, TU-2, MT-2, DS-1, SD-1
Vypyr, it's just better than the Valveking period. Unless of course you mod the VK, it's actually not that great of an amp.
Quote by phlip999
Vypyr, it's just better than the Valveking period. Unless of course you mod the VK, it's actually not that great of an amp.

Under the cheap components, the Valveking is a great amp. Swap the OT (best mod for the VK, far more worth it than swapping the speaker) and you'll know what I mean.

That said, if you want a great variety of sounds in one amp, go for the Vypyr Tube, especially if you're buying new.

If you go for the Valveking, make sure to buy it used. It's better value for your money that way.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by Raijouta
Under the cheap components, the Valveking is a great amp. Swap the OT (best mod for the VK, far more worth it than swapping the speaker) and you'll know what I mean.

That said, if you want a great variety of sounds in one amp, go for the Vypyr Tube, especially if you're buying new.

If you go for the Valveking, make sure to buy it used. It's better value for your money that way.

This. All of this
Speaking of the Vypyr, does anyone know if the 30 watt version has an acoustic simulation?
Thanks.
Quote by denied
I was honestly not at all impressed by the valveking. Try the B-52 AT 100?

Or the B52 AT 112 for a cheaper alternative. Basically made for Rock and Metal but has stellar cleans also.
Better, Faster, Stronger

Kansas City Chiefs

Kansas State Wildcats
Quote by airbrendie
Hey guys in the last 3 weeks I ****ed all the girls in this picture, what do you think?

Quote by gruffmusic
Speaking of the Vypyr, does anyone know if the 30 watt version has an acoustic simulation?
Thanks.

It doesn't simulate an acoustic guitar, but it does simulate the fender twin reverb if you are looking for a clean tone.

|_|0|_|
|_|_|0|
|0|0|0|
▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄
Are you trying to run an acoustic through it?
Ihor

<current gear>
PRS SE Custom 22
Washburn D10SK Acoustic
Peavey XXX Super 40
Quote by VanTheKraut
Or the B52 AT 112 for a cheaper alternative. Basically made for Rock and Metal but has stellar cleans also.

I have it and this man is correct.
Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens.

When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace.

-Jimi Hendrix-

Quote by CodySG
You know you're in the drug thread when you see pictures of squash and "tuna nigga!" when you click the page.
I'd go for Vypyr tube if you want a lot of sounds right there at your fingers without having to deal with a bunch of stompboxes.
Ibanez RGT42DX
Vox AC30C2
Digitech Whammy (FOR SALE!)
Dunlop GCB-95F Crybaby
Boss DD-20
Boss SD-1
Ibanez TS9DX
MXR M-108 10 Band EQ
th VK gets a lot of hate around here, and based on the new price, rightfully so.

that said, it's a decent amp, and can usually be found for a fair price used. i also like the vypyr tube... really boils down to what features you deem neccessary and what kind of deals you can find.
It doesn't matter to me if the amp has onboard effects. I want good distortion and cleans.
Ihor

<current gear>
PRS SE Custom 22
Washburn D10SK Acoustic
Peavey XXX Super 40
I see you already have a Vypyr (judging by your sig). If you're looking for a big amp upgrade and are looking at the Valveking, it's not going to be huge.

I really like the cleans of my VK. The distortion is not great though. Lacks bass, tightness, and is a little bit flabby and fizzy if you have the gain boost on. You can eliminate some of these problems but it will cost you. Raijouta is right about everything he says to be honest. OT does make a huge difference apparently, but you can do more. E.g: OD, Speaker, Tubes, EQ.

If you can only buy new, however, i wouldn't recommend the VK. If you do get the VK though, get the 112. Far easier and cheaper to mod than the 212. You could get the head but it probably isn't necessary.
Ibanez RG370DX
Schecter C-1 Classic
Valveking 112 w/ Celestion V30
Bad Monkey
Tanglewood TW28 Acoustic
I am looking for a combo. Tight distortion is a must for me. I want something that will be decent out of the box, so sounds like the Valve King might not fit the bill for me. My current Vypyr is ok, but I don't really like the cleans. That is why I am interested in the tube version.
Ihor

<current gear>
PRS SE Custom 22
Washburn D10SK Acoustic
Peavey XXX Super 40
Quote by Banana Wedgie
Neither. I am gonna be unhelpful and say neither. And I'm not gonna say which one is good.

There was no need to post that comment if you aren't going to post another suggestion.

TS, I think as long as you don't need much versatility, go for the Valveking used.
Wait.

Roger Waters - 12th May!
Any reason why the valveking would be better? Most people seem to say the vypyr tube would be better for me? Again I am playing modern rock and grundge (Breaking Benjamin, Disturbed 3 Days Grace, but also need good cleans and overdrive for 3 Doors down) I have several pedals listed in my sig.
Ihor

<current gear>
PRS SE Custom 22
Washburn D10SK Acoustic
Peavey XXX Super 40
Quote by Raijouta

What do you mean swap the OT/

What is OT.....I'm a little amptarded.
Gear
Jackson RR24M - EMG ALX w/ ABQ installed
Ibanez Xiphos - stock
LTD Alexi 600 - stock
Ibanex RG - Tone Zone(bridge), PAF Pro(neck)
Blackstar HT-20H
Fulltone OCD
MXR 10 Band EQ
The OT is the output transformer. It's the component that puts the amp's signal to the speaker, basically.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
So by swapping for a better one it produces a better sound or is just more reliable?
Gear
Ibanez Xiphos - stock
LTD Alexi 600 - stock
Blackstar HT-20H
Fulltone OCD
MXR 10 Band EQ
Ok what if we compare a modded valve king as said above to an untouched vypyr tube?
Ihor

<current gear>
PRS SE Custom 22
Washburn D10SK Acoustic
Peavey XXX Super 40
Just checked out the vavleking thread which has all and any info anyone could ever need with sound clips galore.
Gear
Ibanez Xiphos - stock
LTD Alexi 600 - stock
Blackstar HT-20H
Fulltone OCD
MXR 10 Band EQ
Tried the vypyr tube in Guitar Center for a few minutes. Seemed ok, but hard to tell if it was better than my regular vypyr. The store was closing and I ran out of time so I will have to go back.
Ihor

<current gear>
PRS SE Custom 22
Washburn D10SK Acoustic
Peavey XXX Super 40
Tried both amps again today. The Valve King did indeed sound muddy to me, so I took the tube Vypyr home.
Ihor

<current gear>
PRS SE Custom 22
Washburn D10SK Acoustic
Peavey XXX Super 40
Glad you came to a decision.

If you can only buy new, the Valveking is indeed worse than the Vypyr Tube, but I think both could stand to use some upgrades. I've heard the Vypyrs come with less-than-stellar speakers, and it could probably use better tubes.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
I just spent about an hour playing through the tube Vypyr. The sound has a lot more depth to it compared to the solid state version. I couldn't find a deal on a Valve King. There were a couple on Ebay but with shipping it wasn't worth it. I'm going to keep this one until I find a deal on a XXX or the Randall RM50 I really want.
Ihor

<current gear>
PRS SE Custom 22
Washburn D10SK Acoustic
Peavey XXX Super 40
Last edited by silver93t at Dec 6, 2009,
Vypyr Tube 60 by a MILE. There is a reason you don't see a "Valveking" model on the Vypyr. It's because the amp sounds terrible imho.
Quote by silver93t
Any reason why the valveking would be better? Most people seem to say the vypyr tube would be better for me? Again I am playing modern rock and grundge (Breaking Benjamin, Disturbed 3 Days Grace, but also need good cleans and overdrive for 3 Doors down) I have several pedals listed in my sig.

B52 AT 112= Better than Vypyr
Better, Faster, Stronger

Kansas City Chiefs

Kansas State Wildcats
Quote by airbrendie
Hey guys in the last 3 weeks I ****ed all the girls in this picture, what do you think?

Quote by TheEsupremacy
Vypyr Tube 60 by a MILE. There is a reason you don't see a "Valveking" model on the Vypyr. It's because the amp sounds terrible imho.

Oh, how wrong I could prove you if I had a working interface.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
After an OT swap. Can a Valveking do metal without an overdrive pedal?
Quote by silver93t
I just spent about an hour playing through the tube Vypyr. The sound has a lot more depth to it compared to the solid state version. I couldn't find a deal on a Valve King. There were a couple on Ebay but with shipping it wasn't worth it. I'm going to keep this one until I find a deal on a XXX or the Randall RM50 I really want.

Paramus or North Paramus? I'm here in Mahwah at RCNJ, so I try to get to the Paramus ones as much as I can I think these GCs are the two closest to each other in the world....maybe. I normally go to the East Brunswick one when I am home.

And so I am not spamming, yea, congrats.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
hmmm, did the TS already get rid of it? I ask because his sig has a Peavey XXX in it, and not a Vypyr.
Gear:
Ibanez Prestige 1421F
Epi Les Paul Ultra (With SD JB/Jazz pups)
Bugera 120w 333xl 212 combo
Peavey ValveKing 50w 112 combo (Eminence Texas Heat 12" speaker)
Ibanez TS9 Tube Screamer
MXR M108 10 band EQ.
Dunlop Slash Crybaby Wah.
Quote by LaidBack
Paramus or North Paramus? I'm here in Mahwah at RCNJ, so I try to get to the Paramus ones as much as I can I think these GCs are the two closest to each other in the world....maybe. I normally go to the East Brunswick one when I am home.

And so I am not spamming, yea, congrats.

At least ya dont live in toms river where the nearest guitar center is an hour and 15 mins away(east brunswick)
My Gear...
Fender Deluxe Fat Strat
Fernandes Retrorocket
Epiphone G400
Blackstar HT-5c
Blackstar HT Club 40
Page 1 of 2