This is a relatively boring question, but it's something I haven't been able to find a good answer to.

Pandora Radio tells me that I typically like "vamped" music. Looking "Vamp" up on Wikipedia tells me that vamping is a repeating musical phrase or structure. Ok, whatever. My question is: what is the difference between a vamp and a riff? They seem to be nearly identical concepts to me. Is there a shade of meaning that makes them different?
A vamp is generally a background thing, where a riff could be the focus of attention.
Riffs are cooler?
Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
The grandmother is having a baby with her grandson, so the grandson will be his own fathers father, the baby will be his own grandfather, and grandson, and the grandmother will be the mother, and great grandmother?

Quote by TheBurningFish
ಠ_ಠ
a vamp IS a riff

is just an ostinato a melodic, rythmic, bass line or chord progression thats repeated, it may vary but has remain recognizable, but not in a high voice but in a low one

for example salvation by the cranberries thats a vamp

in popular music the riff is executed in the rythmic section
Quote by viento
a vamp IS a riff

is just an ostinato a melodic, rythmic, bass line or chord progression thats repeated, it may vary but has remain recognizable, but not in a high voice but in a low one

for example salvation by the cranberries thats a vamp

in popular music the riff is executed in the rythmic section

Close. A vamp CAN be a riff, but not always. A riff is almost always the main focus of attention, the 'theme' if you will. A vamp can be a single chord (or two) strummed once per measure for an entire song.