Ok so i'm trying to learn how to play guitar.. one of my strings broke so I restrung it, probably not the best as it was my first time ever doing so. Anyway, I put all the strings on and the B (second from bottom) string rings like crazy. Ring... buzz.. whatever you want to call it. Its so annoying it made me stop playing for a little over a month. I noticed if I hold down any fret it does not make that noise. One of my friends suggested raising the string, it seems it is as high as it will go and still makes the buzzing noise.

So to sum it up- when I play the b string open it rings/buzzes like crazy. When I hold any frets down its normal. What can I do to fix this? All i can tell you is that it's electric. It was given to me and is unmarked so there is no "brand name". I guess it is a 'strat style' I am being told. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Also i just found out... where the string goes into the slot before the first fret (whatever that thing is called).. if I take it out of the slot and just lay it on top the buzzing stops...
mines been doing that lately. my other guitar has done that as well, when i had it. im not sure what causes it, but when i fix the problem ill message you. my be weather too.
well it never did it before I had to restring it. Ever since my attempt to re-string the guitar its been making that buzz sound.. very annoying!
Try using a thicker string. The 'slot' is referred to as the nut, and it may be cut for a much wider string. Then again, it could just be the new string. Try putting a whole new set of strings on the guitar. Whenever I change strings, I get a little buzzing at first, but they eventually go away. Hope that helps.
Quote by Awfulplayer
Try using a thicker string. The 'slot' is referred to as the nut, and it may be cut for a much wider string. Then again, it could just be the new string. Try putting a whole new set of strings on the guitar. Whenever I change strings, I get a little buzzing at first, but they eventually go away. Hope that helps.

on the thicker strings (g through e) they lay flush with it nut(i guess its called ), on the b and e strings its actually in there a bit. is that normal?
If you can can move the string side to side at all within the nut, your string is too thin.
It could just be the new string. Oftentimes when you change strings, you get buzzing. It shouldn't continue to buzz for weeks on end, but I get buzzing for the first few days after I change strings.
Quote by Awfulplayer
It could just be the new string. Oftentimes when you change strings, you get buzzing. It shouldn't continue to buzz for weeks on end, but I get buzzing for the first few days after I change strings.

it's been a little over a month since i restrung it. I tried to stretch the string out too and that didnt seem to help.