I can't decide if i should buy a metal muff or a MXR Fullbore metal. The only reason why I would buy a MXR Fullbore metal would be because of the biult-in noise gate. But does that really make that much difference? Would a metal muff be a better opition?
no I was just wondering, would the noise gate knock out a lot of the buzz noise, would it sound better? Or would a metal muff sound better?
I'd go for the metal muff. I have one and it's amazing. A noise gate doesn't take out sound it just keeps it from getting through. What fixed my buzzing sound was going from daisy chains to a DC Brick from dunlop. The power is clean and not grounded so it doesn't add any extra noise.
personally between the two i would chose the metal muff. the fullbore metal sounds terrible imo. but if you want a better pedal then the metal muff the dirty bomb sounds excellent.
Quote by classicrocker01
You know you're addicted to gear when you've had more guitars than girlfriends

........that would be me
Quote by Supersonic64
personally between the two i would chose the metal muff. the fullbore metal sounds terrible imo. but if you want a better pedal then the metal muff the dirty bomb sounds excellent.

This, or a Tech 21 GT2
Board:
Pitchblack - Fulltone Octafuzz - Hardwire OD - Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina - MXR Micro Chorus - Diamond Memory Lane Jr - EHX SMMH - Neunaber Wet
I don't really like either of those pedals. Both sound metallic and shrill IMO.
Ibanez RGT42DX
Vox AC30C2
Digitech Whammy (FOR SALE!)
Dunlop GCB-95F Crybaby
Boss DD-20
Boss SD-1
Ibanez TS9DX
MXR M-108 10 Band EQ
Quote by soul.power
I don't really like either of those pedals. Both sound metallic and shrill IMO.

+1. both just sound like buzzy messes to me. i say go with the Dirty Bomb, from what i have heard, it is a very nice pedal, and a lot more usable than the MM and Fullbore
Well, Jesus Christ, I'm not scared to die,

I'm a little bit scared of what comes after

Do I get the gold chariot?

Do I float through the ceiling?
Quote by Phat Stud 55
I'd go for the metal muff. I have one and it's amazing. A noise gate doesn't take out sound it just keeps it from getting through. What fixed my buzzing sound was going from daisy chains to a DC Brick from dunlop. The power is clean and not grounded so it doesn't add any extra noise.

dunlop's brick IS a daisy chain in box form. voodoo labs and t-rex make models with isolated outputs.

TS, don't expect the gate on an OD/dist box to do much real gating outside of that individual pedal.

a gate is simply a threshold... whatever doesn't reach the threshold is effectively muted. when the dist is engaged, the stronger signal (higher gain) pushes through that threshold. thus, dist pedals with built in gates, such as the fullbore and the uber metal, have their rspective gates set relatively high, and (although i have notseen the guts of a fullbore yet) i'd have to imagine it's on an internal circuit... gates only the pedal itself so the tones remain tightly controlled despite massive amounts of saturation.

in other words, it won't behave the way you'd expect a gate to behave. hypothetically, let's say you run a delay into the fullbore with the gate activated. if my assumption is correct, the gate won't kill the delay's feedback trail the same way a dedicated gate would (although in practice this wold be difficult to prove/disprove due to the fact that the same delayed signal would pass through the additional gain stage ). hope that helps to clarify.

when it comes to od's and dist's, there's really only one way to choose what's right for you, and that's how it sounds to your ears. if you're diggin' what you hear from the mxr, go for it, but not just because it has a half-hearted claim to function as a gate. by the same token, any dist pedal should meet the same criteria. some love the metal muff, for example, and some do not. I suggest you get some hands-on time with as many models as possible.