What's the difference between the Decimator and the Decimator G-String?
Quote by dr_shred
FrustratedRocka you are a legend

Quote by littlephil

The man clearly knows his shit.

Quote by Banjocal

one of the best, educated and logical posts I've ever seen on UG in the Pit. Well done good sir.
The G-String allows you to run a cable to/from the effects loop as well as the guitar to amp.
Guitars:
Ibanez UV777P
Ibanez RGD2127FX
Ibanez RG3120TW
Ibanez RGD7321
Ibanez RG6003FM
Ibanez SA160
Jackson Slatxmg3-7
Amps:
Baron Custom Amps K88
Rivera Knucklehead TRE
Fryette Sig: X
Randall RM4 /w Modded modules
Cabs:
Mesa 4x12
Bogner 4x12
Peavey 4x12(K85s)
Quote by kylendm
The G-String allows you to run a cable to/from the effects loop as well as the guitar to amp.

This.

The G-string allows you to eliminate noise in front of your amp, and in your amp
/rig
... but wouldn't that be the same as just running the normal one at the end of my effects loop?
Quote by dr_shred

Quote by littlephil

Quote by Banjocal

one of the best, educated and logical posts I've ever seen on UG in the Pit. Well done good sir.
Quote by FrustratedRocka
... but wouldn't that be the same as just running the normal one at the end of my effects loop?

You can do both, so you get rid of signal noise and preamp noise.
It's more effective that way. I'd just get the regular Decimator and a cheapo beat up as hell NS-2 for like $40, and put the NS-2 behind the amp and the decimator in front of the amp. It's much easier and a bit cheaper to get both, and the effects to noise are the same.
Jackson RR5 ivory w/ EMG 81/85
Jackson DX6 w/ SD Distortion & Dimarzio Super Distortion
Fender Starcaster Sunburst
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
You can do the same with a ns-2, you don't need the extra decimator.^^^
Agile AL3000
Douglas WRL90
SX SR1 STD Plus
J&D Strat
Squier Tele
Sammick TR2
Douglas Draco
Peavey JSX
Bugera V5
TWANGED VJ
Quote by JoePerry4life
You can do the same with a ns-2, you don't need the extra decimator.^^^

Eh. That's true, but the NS-2 colors tone more than the Decimator does. I mean the NS-2 does the job very well, but side by side, the decimator is better. You can't really hear the difference with an NS-2 either though. The only way you can tell a difference in tone really is if you A/B it a lot of times.
Jackson RR5 ivory w/ EMG 81/85
Jackson DX6 w/ SD Distortion & Dimarzio Super Distortion
Fender Starcaster Sunburst
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
Yeah... I've tried out both and have noticed some definite tone suckage with the NS-2. About putting the gate in front of the amp - I have humbuckers and put all my pedals (i.e. my wah) in the loop (Sounds crazy, but you can get a really cool filter effect that way. I use it for intros.) Would putting the gate in front really make that much difference? Also, what can I do to cut feedback at high volumes?
Quote by dr_shred

Quote by littlephil

Quote by Banjocal

Yeah, I'm having rediculous problems with squeels when I'm not playing and I'm getting the normal (non G-String) Decimator for x-mas.

...So I should put it in front of the amp, not the loop, right?

Quote by SG-RiffMaster7
Yeah, I'm having rediculous problems with squeels when I'm not playing and I'm getting the normal (non G-String) Decimator for x-mas.

...So I should put it in front of the amp, not the loop, right?

if the squealing is feedback from your amp...then yes, the effects loop would be the best place for it.
I've used an NS-2 for several years and have never noticed an effect on my tone. There are quite a few members on UG who have said the same thing. Everyone's rig is different, so the effect a certain pedal may or may not have on your tone may have the complete opposite effect on someone else' tone through their rig. That said, the vast majority of NS-2 hate here on UG is just bandwagon garbage.

If you feel that you need a second gate and you're happy with your Decimator then by all means sell it and grab yourself a G-String - it would be much more economic than running two regular Decimators.
Last edited by i_am_metalhead at Dec 16, 2009,
The G-String can quiet both the guitars signal and the FX loop. They also have the tighter suppression of the Pro Rack G.
Quote by i_am_metalhead
I've used an NS-2 for several years and have never noticed an effect on my tone. There are quite a few members on UG who have said the same thing. Everyone's rig is different, so the effect a certain pedal may or may not have on your tone may have the complete opposite effect on someone else' tone through their rig. That said, the vast majority of NS-2 hate here on UG is just bandwagon garbage.

I like my Decimator in the loop, works great for my simple rig. I cant see where most people would actually need to fork out the xt4ra cash for the G string.
The NS-2 colors tone about as much as the Decimator does. Both DO color tone but it is up to you to decide which works for you. MXR smart gate also works well.
R.I.P. Randy Rhoads