Basically 2 days ago this band in our area of Bristol needed a replacement rhythm and basically begged me lol

Basically I have to learn a 6 song set for monday and also the bands playing Taunton (about 50 miles from our hometown)

basically this will be my first gig, i only know 2 songs that need tweaking and thats it.

The frontman and leads staying round mine on thursday to teach me parts of the rest tehn we'll be practicing from then till saturday..they alo said, if i only know 2 songs, they'll save those 2 for last.

But how should i act on stage? movement wise etc without looking like a clown lol

cheers
Quote by Zach Dunn

But how should i act on stage? movement wise etc without looking like a clown lol

cheers

What genre do you play?

It'd be weird if you were running around like Angus Young when you're playing a slow style.
if its metal: Headbang
If its iron maiden: Run and jump like your on crack
If its anything else: Stand there and look cool
Survivor of:
Maryland Deathfest X
Maryland Deathfest XI
Maryland Deathfest XII
If it's energetic at least walk around. If it's slow you really can't do much. Metal you have to head bang (it's like a requirement). You could also just ask them when you see them
Talk to them about how they act on stage. If they're an energetic band, join in on the fun. If they're mellow and concentrated on their playing, do the same. After all (not sound crass or anything), you are just a fill-in for the performance, you don't want to change their whole feel and energy or anything.
its a metal band lol and they really want me to play their last 2 songs that I know:/ hmmmm
Quote by koslack
Oh boy. Tell these guys to cancel the gig, or do it without you.

I don't see why they should cancel if he knows the songs.

TS. Looking at your instrument is all well and good, but making eye contact with the audience is important. Standing there like a statue throughout the gig isn't going to be very good either.

|_|0|_|
|_|_|0|
|0|0|0|
▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄
What are the songs?

If they're easy do some tricks or something, just make sure you do it near the crowd. If it doesn't require lots of Bruce Dickinson style jumping around and it's fairly easy then just do something fancy to please the crowd. It's like a football match. Sure, they want you to score but if you do some fancy moves in the process that's x1000, just don't mess it up. I had a pretty easy solo to play one time and so I played the left hand with it reaches over the fretboard instead of underneath it. People think it's really clever when it really isn't. Obviously ONLY do it if you look condfident doing it, otherwise you just look like you can't play the guitar properly.
Quote by the_white_bunny
your just a simpleton that cant understand strategy apparently.

Quote by the_white_bunny
all hail king of the penis sucking(i said balls. you said dick for some reason?) Isabiggles
Cool, what do they sound like?
Quote by the_white_bunny

Quote by the_white_bunny
all hail king of the penis sucking(i said balls. you said dick for some reason?) Isabiggles
Quote by Zach Dunn
www.myspace.com/nogutsnoglory700 theyre going for something different soon XD

*Warning: this post contains strong elements of opinion, if offended please leave*

I honestly cannot stand that, it's got the whole 'metal as ****' thing but plays nu metal, chugga chugga stuff? Very strange..

Anyway, best of luck.
Quote by the_white_bunny

Quote by the_white_bunny
Quote by rushpython
if its metal: Headbang
If its iron maiden or ACDC: Run and jump like your on crack
If its anything else: Stand there and look cool

Fixed
Quote by 08don
yes, thank you guitarfreak. free bj for you anytime. just not from me. no homo.
Quote by isabiggles
*Warning: this post contains strong elements of opinion, if offended please leave*

I honestly cannot stand that, it's got the whole 'metal as ****' thing but plays nu metal, chugga chugga stuff? Very strange..

Anyway, best of luck.

Its alright man and thanks...tbh i cant stand the majority of the music this band plays with lol and im not really into the moshing thing either lol

but yeah, thanks for the luck
I know this isn't helping but I'm just curious, what's the music scene like in Bristol? I'm thinking about going to uni there.

From my experiences just be energetic and look like your having a great time, get in the crowds face and pull some shapes hah xD
Guitar: Fender Standard Tele

Amp: Marshall JCM900 4100

Pedals: Boss DS-1, Dunlop Crybaby, Dancelectro CC-1, Ibanez LU-20
Quote by Falsealibis
I know this isn't helping but I'm just curious, what's the music scene like in Bristol? I'm thinking about going to uni there.

From my experiences just be energetic and look like your having a great time, get in the crowds face and pull some shapes hah xD

The music scene is very varied...i used to think it was just dubstep and drum and bass but since joining this band and my previous band...there is soo much indie, pop punk, metal literally anything to your tastes...pretty much around at all times in the area and cheers man XD

I'm only doing like 3 songs in their set on saturday as my introductory gig with them xD
Are you really learning 6 sets in 3 days and this will be your first gig? Geez. That's asking for trouble.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
thats why you read posts in the thread first before commenting, no a set consisting of 6 songs...but anyways Im playing 3 that I know and can play pretty tightly :P Gigs this saturday xD
Quote by Zach Dunn
thats why you read posts in the thread first before commenting, no a set consisting of 6 songs...but anyways Im playing 3 that I know and can play pretty tightly :P Gigs this saturday xD

I see, my bad.

"Tightness" is not how well you can play a song by yourself, it's how well you play a song together as a band. Right now it sounds like you only know 3 of 6 songs. This is not good. It means that half the songs will sound like crap.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Quote by AlanHB
I see, my bad.

"Tightness" is not how well you can play a song by yourself, it's how well you play a song together as a band. Right now it sounds like you only know 3 of 6 songs. This is not good. It means that half the songs will sound like crap.

how would they sound crap? Also the gig was emence. The audience loved me and the band want me to stay didnt **** up...went crazy, had the crowd singing along...was a great first experience apart from my noise supressor dying while i was being introduced, then my wireless system cocking up before i started too lol

next up, yate on friday xD
Well done - it sounds like a really cool gig and congrats on being asked to stay(i imagine you mean joining the band)

Just a word of warning - you said earlier that you don't really like their music, so while it will surely be a blast for a while, I imagine it won't be long before you want to leave the band and play your own music. Just something to bear in mind before you make your decision.
Good Luck! :
lol should of seen him live...hes crazy, heres some snaps from that gig:

and to declen, its not their music...its the bands we play with...and i love the stuff we're planning xD