Hello everyone. I've recently purchased a Lexicon Alpha USB audio interface that came with the full version of Cubase LE4 (I hate it but it was free). I use it for recording guitar tracks only which I use for my own creative writing purposes.

I play an Ibane Xiphos through a randall G3 plus 75w combo amp. I have the line-out on the rear panel of my amp connected to the line-in on the interface.

My problem, quite simply, is that whatever I record just plain sounds bad. Not bad as in my playing is bad, I mean the recording quality is just abysmal. It's hissy and gritty sounding. Is that simply what this interface sounds like? Is there really no way to improve the sound? Do I just have to deal with it? Could it be Cubase? I'm sorry for asking such simple questions but I have zero experience with home recording.

Thanks in advance for your answer(s).
It is because your running the line out on the amp to the interface, everything else should be fine. It is not good quality because the line out on your amp is very powerful and not meant for that. Also When you plug from a line out on the amp your only getting the sound of the effect/distortion/or amplifier and not the speaker; the speaker in your amp is what gives it a soft and warm tone and your missing that in your recordings. This is why it sounds bad. The best thing for you to do is mic up your amp to get your true amps sound. If not you could purchase a POD and the line outs on those are balanced and ready to record becasue they have a built in speaker sound+effects.
If you need more help ill be glad to help, because i use to have the same problems! haha
Quote by Zero-Hartman
I remember my mum and dad went out to the cinema, and when they were driving home they looked to their left and a guy in a gorilla suit was in the passenger seat of the car next to them, waving at them You should keep it just for that.

^ROFL
Last edited by Cmann77 at Dec 1, 2009,
Yeah you definitely have to invest in a mic. I've used line-in before and then I got a 10 dollar Phillips mic from Wal-Mart. The $10 mic sounded better.
if you really want your amp sound, you'll need a mic. a sm57 is a good place to start until you get to know mics more and find the one you like the best later on down the recording road.

if you dont mind not using your amp, you could buy a pod or something like Guitar Rig. or go with some free amp sim VSTs you can find around the internet.
So the general consensus, then, is that mic > direct. I was afraid of that.

Yeah I've heard that the SM57 is the industry standard. That'll be the first thing on my Christmas list this year! Thanks guys. You've been very informative.

@Cmann77: Well unless you have the time and patience to give me a tutorial on how to perform basic tasks using recording software I'd say you've answered my question :P.
Quote by Kurt Russell
So the general consensus, then, is that mic > direct. I was afraid of that.

Yeah I've heard that the SM57 is the industry standard. That'll be the first thing on my Christmas list this year! Thanks guys. You've been very informative.

@Cmann77: Well unless you have the time and patience to give me a tutorial on how to perform basic tasks using recording software I'd say you've answered my question :P.

Yes i can help with that. Send me a PM.
Quote by Zero-Hartman
I remember my mum and dad went out to the cinema, and when they were driving home they looked to their left and a guy in a gorilla suit was in the passenger seat of the car next to them, waving at them You should keep it just for that.

^ROFL