Johnson Amps? I'm just looking around for a cheapo practice beater amp, and I came across a Johsnon JT50 Mirage. It's an SS modeling amp. Just wondering if they have any reputation for sound, durability. Thanks.
Jackson RR5 ivory w/ EMG 81/85
Jackson DX6 w/ SD Distortion & Dimarzio Super Distortion
Fender Starcaster Sunburst
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
I used to have one. They are good amps imo. Mine was very reliable and versatile but depending on the $ I might hesitate.
$110 good condition. I looked through HC reviews. People pay over $200 for it. Just don't wanna buy some suck and have to hassle with selling it.
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
Quote by apak
$110 good condition. I looked through HC reviews. People pay over $200 for it. Just don't wanna buy some suck and have to hassle with selling it.

If you don't like it you will probably have a hard time selling it and it is a beast to lug around. But for $110 it's probably worth it. I traded mine for a guitar when I got rid of it because I noticed the 50's weren't selling on Ebay, at least at that time.
Quote by cranium2001
If you don't like it you will probably have a hard time selling it and it is a beast to lug around. But for $110 it's probably worth it. I traded mine for a guitar when I got rid of it because I noticed the 50's weren't selling on Ebay, at least at that time.

what?!! Is it that heavy? Like how many pounds? I'm fine with anything under like 45 lbs.
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
I probably wouldn't get it if I were you... I can't stand the Johnson amp I have. It may be good for you, but my Johnson Reptone is a cheapo amp and is buzzy as hell.

This sig is colored just to annoy the UG classic users.

Trying to think of witty things to put in my sig. Message if you have ideas.
Quote by pokeatthedevil
I probably wouldn't get it if I were you... I can't stand the Johnson amp I have. It may be good for you, but my Johnson Reptone is a cheapo amp and is buzzy as hell.

The Reptone is not really in the same league as the Johnson he is talking about. I don't think the company that made the Johnson amp the IP is talking about even makes amps anymore.
As long as it sounds better than my frontman and is more versatile, I'm good. Anyways, how big is it? like size? and the speaker size.

Actually I found it. 43 lbs. 18" x 23.4" x 11" It's ****ing big as hell for a 1x12 combo amp.. Shiiiiit... Anyways.. I'm gonna just buy it.
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
Last edited by apak at Dec 2, 2009,
Quote by cranium2001
http://www.johnson-amp.com/jt50.htm

It should be better than your Frontman. 12 inch speaker and dimensionally I would say 2.5 feet wide by 2 feet high, give or take.

yeah i just went there. Clips sounded nice. does it really sound like that?
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
Yeah it does. The headphone jack comes in handy too. Like I said for $110 I would probably snatch it up. Hell if the guy that has mine told $110 I would probably take it.
Ok thanks. I'm gonna go buy it this Friday, play around with it some, and post back how I like it.

Haha. I haggled it from $130 to $110 and convinced him to deliver to me. haha. I feel so good every time I make a good move like this one. Like the time I haggled my mesa from $620 to $450. haha.

Quote by acdcrocks0323
It is a little bit better than a Vox Valvetronix amp imo.

that's some pretty good stuff then. Why does nobody even know what Johnson is then?
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
So I picked it up for $110 and took it for a test drive. It sounds actually really nice for an SS amp. The different models really make it versatile. The effects are mediocre but are a nice feature. Thanks for the help with this one!
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack