Hello I did read the FAQ but some things are unclear to me like a I was planning on getting these mics (Shure PG58 3-Pack Mic and Stand Kit ) from GC and was wondering is it feasible to record on a laptop? (HP dv200) if so what sound card should I get and how should/could I connect the mics to it?
Ibanez RG420
Epiphone Les Paul Prophecy GX
Ovation Celebrity 28CC
Marshall JCM 2000 TSL
B-52 AT112
Yes it is possible to. The best possible way is to get an audio interface (aka sound card) and most of them come with XLR inputs (mic inputs) and 1/4 line in inputs (standard size guitar cable). An audio interface will look like this, http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/PreSonus-FireStudio-26x26-FireWire-Recording-System?sku=620681 , and the inputs on that specific one are made for either 1/4 in. or XLR inputs. An interface like that is good because it uses Fire wire to send to your computer, [higher quality than a USB connection]. And from there it will record high quality to your computer and directly to any recoding software.
*note* if you do not have a fire wire input on your computer you will have to purchase a fire wire input for your computer. (they run about $12)
Quote by Zero-Hartman
I remember my mum and dad went out to the cinema, and when they were driving home they looked to their left and a guy in a gorilla suit was in the passenger seat of the car next to them, waving at them You should keep it just for that.

^ROFL
If you have anymore questions ill be glad to help.
Quote by Zero-Hartman
I remember my mum and dad went out to the cinema, and when they were driving home they looked to their left and a guy in a gorilla suit was in the passenger seat of the car next to them, waving at them You should keep it just for that.

^ROFL
Okay so if I buy this I can get a firewire input put into my computer and open Adobe Soundbooth or whatever and record just that simple?
Ibanez RG420
Ovation Celebrity 28CC
Marshall JCM 2000 TSL
B-52 AT112
Yes, simply you can. It will be pretty good quality to. Audio interfaces are just an upgraded sound card with high quality audio components to it. All computers have a sound card built in and you can record with that where you plug your headphones or speakers in because it is an input and an output. Normally you just dont use those because they are not the best quality but alright.
The best thing is getting a good audio interface with fire wire and your set. just make sure your mic. cables and guitar cables are good as well for they can affect the recordings sound.
Quote by Zero-Hartman

^ROFL
One last question. where would that go on my laptop?
Ibanez RG420
Ovation Celebrity 28CC
Marshall JCM 2000 TSL
B-52 AT112
Yes, that will be fine. just make sure that card or whatever one you are purchasing has good reviews.
Quote by Zero-Hartman

^ROFL
what kind of laptop do you have?
Quote by Zero-Hartman

^ROFL
HP Pavilion dv2000 w/ vista home prenium
Ibanez RG420
Ovation Celebrity 28CC
Marshall JCM 2000 TSL
B-52 AT112
just notice i think my computer has a mini firewire input it has the circle with the 3 sets of parallel lines around it but it is small could i run a cable from the box and have it a big-mini and hook it up

EDIT- I am guessing it is a 4-pin
Ibanez RG420
Ovation Celebrity 28CC
Marshall JCM 2000 TSL
B-52 AT112
Last edited by Ashton_Huey at Dec 1, 2009,
The plug in for that card should be at the left side of your laptop at the bottom. And i wouldn't recommend doing that because the point of using fire wire is to have a high quality input with zero latency (The delay that might occur when you play your guitar to what your seeing being recorded on the recording software at he same time. You want to use the big one jack input so it will have good flow.
Quote by Zero-Hartman

^ROFL
If you have a laptop then it probably would be easier to get a USB interface. It will be cheaper than a Firewire interface and then you also won't have to deal with finding a way to get a Firewire connection for your laptop. However, as was said before, Firewire interfaces are higher quality.
One last thing you'll need is to check what the interface requires your computer to have, to get best quality. you can check on your computer by going to control panel, then system, and from there you should find it. What ever interface you end up getting should say its requirements. Make sure you find one with good mic pre-amps in it and has good reviews. Installing the firewire on your laptop shouldnt be a problem. And you will be much more satisfied if you do get it =]
Quote by Zero-Hartman

^ROFL