Currently I have a Vox AD50VT, which is a nice amp, but I just can't seem to get the tones I want from it. So I've decided to go ahead and get a full tube amp.

My budget is probably around $400-500, maybe more if I wait and save up.

Currently I'm looking at these:
Orange Tiny Terror
Vox Nighttrain
Marshall Haze
Peavey Valveking

I'm perfectly happy going used, actually I'd rather go used.

The sound I'm going for is to be able to get the tones of:
Theory of a Deadman
Nickleback
Guns N' Roses
Buckcherry
And some punk for sure (like Blink 182, All Time Low, etc....)

My current guitars are:
Gibson SG Faded (not sure Im gonna keep it though as I've started not liking it lately)
Ibanez SZ model Prestige
Fender MIM Strat (Tex Mex PUs)

So any help would be greatly appreciated, and any other suggestions on amps would help too.

I think I'd rather go with the just Heads on most of the amps, so that if i dont like them I can just change the head itself rather than the whole setup. As for speakers so far from what i've heard i like the Celestion Greenbacks and their Vintage 30s best.
Last edited by jusfuris at Dec 1, 2009,
Probably the only one you will be able to get for that price is the valveking. I have it and its a decent amp, but without a pedal, you won't get anywhere close to guns n roses and blink, although i think it has one of the nicest clean channels for that price
I like the tiny terror and heard good things about the nightrain but since you have a get a cab (or maybe you have one) its gunna be more than $500.
I would stay away from the haze, theres better marshalls out there
I was gonna scream Hayden Mofo for the rockish tones...

but otherwise... have you considered the Peavey Classic 30?
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Quote by Gu1tar_guy1010
Probably the only one you will be able to get for that price is the valveking. I have it and its a decent amp, but without a pedal, you won't get anywhere close to guns n roses and blink, although i think it has one of the nicest clean channels for that price
I like the tiny terror and heard good things about the nightrain but since you have a get a cab (or maybe you have one) its gunna be more than $500.
I would stay away from the haze, theres better marshalls out there

I was thinking of buying a Celestion Greenback, or Vintage 30 and building my own cabinet. I've built a few cabinets for subs for car audio so i figure i could do that fine and save some money and get a better cab.

Quote by kyle62
None of the amps you listed are particularly great, except the Tiny Terror.

I'd be looking for a used Mesa/Boogie DC-5, they often come down below $600 or so.

I didnt think there was a Mesa out there i could afford. from what ive seen, i love their amps. i'll check that out.

Quote by ragingkitty
I was gonna scream Hayden Mofo for the rockish tones...

but otherwise... have you considered the Peavey Classic 30?.

I'll look into that.

I found a Valveking 212 for $325 in my craigs asking price. But the only problem is i havnt found a video where i liked the tone of the valveking. but it does get great reviews
Peavey Windsor
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio
-Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul
-Ibanez S470
-PRS SE Custom

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus

Pickups:
Guitarforce
MHD
A B-52 would be a good choice but I feel like you could find something better on the used market for your budget.
Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens.

When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace.

-Jimi Hendrix-

Quote by CodySG
You know you're in the drug thread when you see pictures of squash and "tuna nigga!" when you click the page.
look for a used mesa DC-3 combo. You can get that for under $500. I think a DC-5 is about $600. That could do some good.
Jackson RR5 ivory w/ EMG 81/85
Jackson DX6 w/ SD Distortion & Dimarzio Super Distortion
Fender Starcaster Sunburst
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
ok, i went to guitar center and got to play with a Marshall JVM 50 watt in their sound room. It was hooked up to a Bogner 2X12 and sounded amazing! it had the tone i want out of an amp.

only problem is its well outta the range of what i wanted to spend on a head (duh, lol) It was used, but still had the stickers on it like it was new. and they were asking $1000. which i thought sounded pretty decent since they also sounded negotiable.

Anyway it may be a little bit before i can afford it, so if it sells before then what other suggestions do you guys have for something that sounds close to the Marshall JVM?

Oh and to CrysisFX, i listened to those videos. I didnt like the 1990 all that much but the 6262 sounded great. But im kinda worried about the reliability of them. Still a definate option though so thanks for posting that link
Quote by denied
If it was the 410 1000 is not a bad deal, I'm kinda surprised at guitar center..

Scratch the valveking off your list,..I think the mesa dc-5 is a good direction..

I think it was either the JVM205H or the JVM205HCF. I think the 410 is the 100w head. this one was 50.

Ya i havent heard one clip of the valveking that i've liked so far. I'll check out those mesas for sure