I've been teaching myself guitar for the past few months now and recently started lessons. Well throughout these months I've only read tab. My new teacher wrote me down the e minor blues scale to learn, but it's not in tab. Could anyone tell me how to read this, or at least translate it to tab? I know I probably look pretty stupid, so no flames please.

Thanks,
Daniel

that is a scale diagram. it shows each note in the scale. imagine that as the first three frets of your guitar.

here's the tab.

|-------------------------------------------0-3-----------------
|----------------------------------0-3-------------------
|-------------------------0-2-3----------------------------------
|---------------0-2------------------------------------
|--------0-2------------------------------------------------
|-0-3--------------------------------------------
Jackson DK2M
ESP LTD M-200FM w/Tone Zone + PAF Pro
Ibanez RG7321
Digitech Whammy IV
Digitech GSP1101
Furman M-10 LxE
Peavey 6505
ISP Decimator
Last edited by sammo_boi at Dec 1, 2009,
that's a really rough drawing. but seeing as how at least 95% of us here on UG know what a blues scale is, i think pretty much anyone can help you. i'll throw it to you in B minor, since A minor is sickeningly overused.

e|--------------------------------------------7-10-|
B|-------------------------------------7-10--------|
G|--------------------------7-9-(10)--------------|
D|--------------------7-9--------------------------|
A|---------7-(8)-9---------------------------------|
E|-7-10--------------------------------------------|

shit, this is much worse than courier new.

basically, the notes there (in the Bm pentatonic scale) are B, D, E, F#, A, and B again. that's your basic pentatonic scale. you can also add the notes i put in parentheses (F) to make it a Bm blues scale.

this pattern can be repeated anywhere on the neck.

happy learning!
Last edited by AeolianWolf at Dec 1, 2009,
That's pretty poorly laid out so don't feel too bad you can't read it, you should expect more from a teacher but hey ho.

For those kind of charts you should turn it up vertically and hold it next to your guitar, it's written as if you were holding the instrument and looking down on the fretboard.

I personally like the F blues scale, has a cool vibe to it.

e|---------------------------------------1 -(4)
B|--------------------------------1 -4------
G|----------------------1 3 4-------------
D|----------------1- 3----------------------
A|------1- 2- 3----------------------------
E|1-4--------------------------------------
Also your teacher has mis-named it, it's the E minor pentatonic scale - typically the term "blues scale" is used to describe a minor pentatonic scale with the addition of a flattened 5th as a passing tone.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
Also your teacher has mis-named it, it's the E minor pentatonic scale - typically the term "blues scale" is used to describe a minor pentatonic scale with the addition of a flattened 5th as a passing tone.

I thought that earlier, because he misses out the Bb on the A string, but he does includes it on the G string. A bit strange though!
Quote by shok_411
I thought that earlier, because he misses out the Bb on the A string, but he does includes it on the G string. A bit strange though!

Yeah I noticed this too!

I was thinking of posting the same thing as above.. It's not a blues scale, just a minor pentatonic, but he does include the Bb in the upper octave.

Silly teacher. Not only does he make a super rough drawing and doesn't explain how you read it, but he draws it wrong anyway.

I think you should get a new one.

EDIT: I noticed there a numbers written next to each note as well. I thought they would be scale degrees, but they're not... Very confusing. I think you should tell him these things that have been mentioned in this thread. He needs to explain to you exactly why you are learning this and what each thing he has written down means.
Last edited by mdwallin at Dec 3, 2009,
Quote by mdwallin
Yeah I noticed this too!

I was thinking of posting the same thing as above.. It's not a blues scale, just a minor pentatonic, but he does include the Bb in the upper octave.

Silly teacher. Not only does he make a super rough drawing and doesn't explain how you read it, but he draws it wrong anyway.

I think you should get a new one.

EDIT: I noticed there a numbers written next to each note as well. I thought they would be scale degrees, but they're not... Very confusing. I think you should tell him these things that have been mentioned in this thread. He needs to explain to you exactly why you are learning this and what each thing he has written down means.
+1

And if your teacher can't explain it to you properly I would seriously consider a new teacher or he's just going to confuse you.
I think that the numbers are just the order in which you play those notes. : \ Either way, he should have taught you how to read charts before giving it to you in that format. Or, you should have immediately said 'What the f*ck is this?' when he handed it to you.
Last edited by Slash_is_a_God at Dec 3, 2009,