Quote by psyguitarist
Pick ups, neck, body shape.

Didn't see that coming.

My understanding is P basses are more punchy and J has more bite. Geezer played a J bass. I think P necks are thicker too.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
One is made of rubber. Just kidding. :P

Pickups. Jazz has 2 single coil pickups, generally brighter, more versatile. Precision has the single pickup sounds deeper, more bassey.....Not the best way of explaining it, but I tried. haha
Try adding more delay.
Why are Jazz basses more expensive than Precision typically? Is it just because the sound is more popular or what?
headstock: One says precision, One says jazz

Neck: a Precision Bass has a thicker neck at the nut

Body: the Jazz body is slightly offset making it larger

Electronics: A Precision has one spit-single coil pickup with two control knobs (1 volume 1 tone). A Jazz has 2 single coil pickups and 3 control knobs (2 volume 1 tone)

Sound: It's really subjective, i kind of prefer the precision yet i would play either.
I shot JR

Oh Canada Our Home and Native Land
The first difference you'll notice is the feel of the neck, one will fit your hand better. It's just a fact of life, and has J and P fans at each others throats constantly. You *must* hold them each in turn and play them to know which one is better feeling, and will probably feel right and the other wrong.

Second is sound. The Jazz sounds like a muscle car, loud, growly, bright. The Precision is like a diesel, deep, throaty, smooth. It's not a difference many notice, in the mix, but it is there.
I have:
Acoustic B200H+B115 cab, Schecter Stiletto Custom 4, Rondo Fretless, Boss EQ-7.

Some men just want to watch the world burn. And they work at Behringer.
Besides the technical differences mentioned below you can look at it this way. A Jazz is has a versatility in its sound abilities and can dial up a sound to fit the moment. Its the chameleon of the bass world and becomes the funk, rock or fusion jazz machine when needed.

Now the Precision always sounds like a precision, but its the man of the world, whose unique sound and tone fits in where ever its played.

Me, I love Precisions to a fault.
Quote by anarkee
Me, I love Precisions to a fault.

I have to agree with this and your whole post =D
"RAWR WIRES >:O"
One more kiss... One more touch...
I miss you, wont you hug me just one last time?

Twitter!!~ Follow Re-follow :P
you will find that a lot of people say the precision is not versatile but we all love it
I shot JR

Oh Canada Our Home and Native Land
yeah you really can't fault the P bass tone because its basicly the core sound of a electric bass it's best in genreas in music where you dont really want to stand out but you do want a good bass tone "in the pocket" and just play that solid groove but it can still get edgy if needed and has its own tone and some people love them.

i have both and they are both very different cant say one is better then the other other then one is mia and other is squier =p
ESP B-405,Fender American Jazz Bass(EMG J active pups and LEO QUAN BADASS II ) squire P bass(EMG P active Pups)),
SansAmp Bass driver DI
Ampeg SvP PRO Tube Preamp
QSC2450 Power amp
Furman PL8
FINALLY-Ampeg SVT 810E
I love how a P sounds slapping but I usually prefer J when doing fingerstyle. Probably a P if I used a pick but I haven't in so long.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
My first "real" bass (not the old short-scale Epiphone knockoff I found in my uncle's basement) was a Fender Jazz Special. It was basically a fretless Jazz neck on a Precision body, with a P pickup where the first (neck) J pickup would be. Best of both worlds. Sold it to a student. I'm not a Fender fan at all, but I'd love to have that bass back. I'm really surprised you don't see that more often. First thing I'd do if I were building my own bass. And lasers and maybe a flamethrower.

http://www.gubna.com/images/jbs1.JPG
Last edited by micbass at Dec 2, 2009,