I'm looking into purchasing a Mesa amp, but was wondering... WHICH ONE???
I play alot of genres, but have been trying to get into metal, but my amp is a pos.
Under $1000, preferably gig-worthy, but just has to be loud enough to be heard over friends drum kit (minimum).
Last edited by Ilikelobster at Dec 1, 2009,
First, it's Mesa, just for the record. I'd look at the Single, Dual, or Triple Rectifier. Might be hard to find one under $1000 unless on ebay.
mark iv maybe i saw one for 900 the other day
pro tools operator certified
agile in-ceptor 727
gibson:les-paul studio
fender:strat
ibanez:prestiege s2170se s520ex
esp:ec-1000vb
splawn nitro kt88s
genz-bends g-flex

Quote by Punkismygod
U sure u want a floydrose? those things will make your nerves explode
Quote by selkies
mark iv maybe i saw one for 900 the other day

If you see a working Mark IV buy it now price for 900, send me the link cause I want it. They usually go for more around 1100-1500 or so.
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
Quote by Whiskey Tango
Single, Dual, or Triple Rectifier. Might be hard to find one under $1000 unless on ebay.

+1

Altho I find the 2nd and 3rd channels of the Triple rectifier very harsh compared to the Dual Rectifier.

For metal in general, and flexibility of lead and rhythm, I prefer the Single over the Dual or Triple.

The Roadster is also worth considering too, but I'm not sure how much they go for.

A Mark IV would be good if you can get your budget to that range.

Also, Mesa tend to loud as hell for their respective wattages.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Last edited by ragingkitty at Dec 2, 2009,
Quote by Artemis Entreri
If you see a working Mark IV buy it now price for 900, send me the link cause I want it. They usually go for more around 1100-1500 or so.

I see combos for that price every few months. It's not that uncommon, at least here.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
the dc or f series are usually around $500-$800. they are discountined models so try looking around craigslist or something.
Quote by classicrocker01
You know you're addicted to gear when you've had more guitars than girlfriends

........that would be me
ok, just to be fair, since i see this a lot for marshall...

why just a mesa, especially considering you don't have a particular model in mind?

...had to ask, but I'm a huge fan of old, early 90's rectos and pretty much anything from the Mk series. rectos made after the early 90's don't have the same components. expect to need to get it modded if you go for a newer recto and want that old mesa crunch. like i said, MkIIC+, MkIII, MkIV, MkV, all great. they're not user friendly though. by that i mean expect to need to do some serious tweeking before you find that 'perfect tone.'
For a good variety of genres, I'd go after either an F-series model (F-50 or F-100) or Mark series model if you can find one in budget (Mk III would be easiest to get ahold of for under $1K).

For something with more emphasis on modern tones and gain, the Recto is probably what you're after. A Single would be my personal recommendation, unless you can find an old 2-channel Dual recto, but those are usually over $1K.

Are you looking for a combo or head and cab?
- Gibson Flying V 120 #1 (White)
- Gibson Flying V 120 #2 (Cherry)
- Gibson SG Standard ('61 style)
- Jackson DK2M

- ENGL Fireball 60

- Many pedals, plus other stuff
I really like the Singles rectifiers. The other guitarist in my band uses one and his tone is really really good and tight. Try one out if you can
MAIN GUITARS:
PRS Single Cut Trem
Ibanez PGM-301
Rickenbacker 650D
Jackson RR5
Taylor 12 String acoustic
Yamaha RBX 5string bass
MAIN AMP:
Hughes And Kettner Trilogy w/ 4x12 HnK cab
personally i'd recommend the Dual Recto, i got mine last week and i love absolutly everything about it but for around $1000 i you may be lucky to find an older (probably better) dual recto. a used Mk4 is also a very good idea, but personally i prefer the recto sound to the Mk4. try and find examples of each and play them, then decide on which one you want. The only way to find out is if you try them, i was gonna buy a Mk5 but when i tried it out i didn't like it as much and prefered the recto so its all personally preference as well. in terms of loudness, you wont find it a problem they're loud as f***.
Tom Anderson Guitarworks

Mayones Guitars

Suhr Guitars

Mesa Boogie

Friedman Amplification

Fractal Audio Systems

Quote by Bladed-Vaults
*Bane voice* ahhh yes. The br00tz, I was born with it. Molded by it. I didnt know of the light until I was already a man.