i have some money left over (approx. $160, could save up to 200$) and i have 2 electrics and no acoustic instruments, so i wanted to buy one. dilemma is: i dont know what to buy! a classical (ibanez GA5 - $150) a steel string (dont know) or a mandolin (epiphone mm-20 - 150$) so i was wondering if you guys could help me, or give me some further suggestions, thanks
The rusted chains of prison moons, are shattered by the sun. i walk a road, horizons change, the tournaments begun. the purple piper plays his tune, the choir softly sing, three lullabies in an ancient tongue, for the court of the crimson king.
The question i will make would be, just exactly what your looking to play with this new instrument.

For me it would be a classical guitar, gotta love em tone and feels. =D
"RAWR WIRES >:O"
One more kiss... One more touch...
I miss you, wont you hug me just one last time?

Twitter!!~ Follow Re-follow :P
i prefer steel string to classical. you could get a yamaha fg700s for $200, and it has a solid top, which beats the laminate tops on almost every guitar at $200 or below. it sounds nice, lots of volume, attractive finish, nice build. and you can try 'em at any guitar center.
hm, i hate dreadnoughts though, and most (or a lot of) steel strings are dreadnoughts so thats why i was thinking classical and the nylon strings sound better and are easier on my fingers. well, theyre easier on everybody's fingers. what about the mandolin?
The rusted chains of prison moons, are shattered by the sun. i walk a road, horizons change, the tournaments begun. the purple piper plays his tune, the choir softly sing, three lullabies in an ancient tongue, for the court of the crimson king.
There are steel strings that aren't dreadnoughts.....look at some OOO or parlour sized guitars, some Concert Size ones...maybe even some jumbos; they're shaped differently so they sound different than dreadnoughts and might sound more comfortable.

A Classical guitar isn't too great if you're just strumming your favorite chords to songs and whatnot; I mean you can do it, but a steel string is more suited for it; Classical guitars have a very mellow tone, and are generally well suited towards....classical. Not to turn you away, just letting you know. You can play whatever you want on any kind of guitar.

Mandolin? That's an entirely different instrument. It's tuned GDAE (lowest to highest). You play the chords differently; it sounds very little like a guitar. Just letting you know; It's good to be multi-instrumental though. Just be aware that they're most popular in bluegrass, so If you're not a fan, you might want to know that.
Quote by obeythepenguin
You win this thread. Pipe organs FTW.

Quote by ShadesOfGray
Let's take it one step further and add a slogan:

Big Bach is listening you!
Quote by obeythepenguin
I'd avoid cheap mandolins. I don't play myself -- yet -- but from what I hear, they're a real bitch on your wrists and fingers when they aren't set up right.

I'd save up at least $50 - $100 more to get a good guitar. I don't know much about classicals, but there's some good general buying advice, and suggestions for inexpensive steel-strings, in this thread.

By the way, I find bass strings even easier on my fingers than nylons. Too thick to leave string grooves.

The last part of this guys post speaks of truth... Bass strings are bigger, doenst means they are harder or anything like that o.o

Save a bit more to get a really good acoustic bro.
"RAWR WIRES >:O"
One more kiss... One more touch...
I miss you, wont you hug me just one last time?

Twitter!!~ Follow Re-follow :P
I play an Epi MM30 a/e. Do yourself a favor and give the MM20 a miss. They have good bark but poor tone and the frets flatten out very easily. Mine has become harder and harder to play over the months that I've had it.
If you don't want to play classical music or Spanish music, don't buy a classical guitar. You don't really buy them because they're easier on your fingers, you buy them for the sound and the type of music you will be playing on it. Acoustic would probably be the better choice if you aren't looking for that sound, but like the other guy said, it all depends on what you want to play.
You will most likely use a classical guitar for fingerpicking/fingerstyle guitar playing rather than with a plectrum like almost any other guitar playing (Besides slap I guess?). Classical guitars are more suitable for classical, flamenco, etc. I personally prefer the sound of a steel string to nylon. If you are going to be playing acoustic versions of your favorite songs of today (and being non-classical, flamenco, etc) then I'd recommend an acoustic or even an electric.
Mandolin is a completely different instrument. Its like comparing a clarinet to a flute. Just because you blow air into both doesn't mean its the same.
Classical guitar isn't "Easier" just because the strings are nylon and aren't as hard to press down. You also have a much wider fretboard which can make things harder (For me personally).
┌─┬──┬──┬──┬──┬──┬──┬──┬─┐
├─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬┤
├┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┤
Ultimate Guitar Set Up Q&A Thread─┤
├─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬┤
├┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┤
├┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┤
└─┴──┴──┴──┴──┴──┴──┴──┴─┘