often 2-6 Hz below tune, even if i got the intonation nailed, is my guitar having problem?
tired of finger speed exercise and turned into slow blues improvisation lately
if your out of tune your intonation isn't nailed. you should maybe look into a truss rod adjustment that could be the problem.
no sir away a papaya war is on
if the intonation is nailed then you wouldnt have this problem because thats what intonation is: proper octaves at the 12th fret with open strings. check the intonation again.
My Gear:
Gibson Faded Flying V
"Dante's Inferno" Iceman
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe 112
etc.

Quote by freedoms_stain
I can't imagine anything worse than shagging to Mark Knopfler.

Maybe shagging Mark Knopfler, but that's about it.
2-6Hz flat as shown in my tuner
i think i got the intonation nailed coz...both the 12fret and 12 fret harmonic give same readings in the tuner (which is 2-6Hz lower or 2-6Hz higher than the tune)..i read somewhere that so long as 12fret and 12 fret harmonic give same readings then intonation is done....i am prettyu clueless now...
Quote by David Collins
I would suggest trying another tuner to begin with. Many tuners may say HZ or cents on the meter, but often the labels are meaningless. Also your tuner may not be truly reading the fundamental, as with all the overtones in a string, cheaper tuners can easily get confused by the upper harmonics.

Further, there's no guarantee that the open strings will be perfectly in tune with the harmonics. Strings are imperfect, and rarely actually play in tune with themselves when you start looking close enough. Try another tuner, and try setting your 12th fret intonation referenced to the open string instead of the harmonic. Many times you won't ever really get the open, 12th fretted, and 12th harmonic to all perfectly agree, but choosing where to best set the compromise on different instruments is a learned art. In the end, your judgment will have to be how it sounds to your ear, and not so much how it appears on the tuner.

If your guitar (with fresh strings - never set intonation with old strings) has a lot of odd resonance issues and can't find an acceptable compromise, then it may just be time to take it in to a good technician to see what they can do with it.

yes i just got it nailed as u said.... as to odd resonance could it be caused by worn/poor bridge/nut etc?
thanks a lot for all the useful info : )
David,

Is it normal to have to adjust intonation a fair amount after changing strings, even with the same gauge?

I switched from the D'addarios that came on my Ibanez to some Ernie Balls (both sets .010 - .046") and the 12 fret was quite sharp with the new Ernies on there, I had to adjust each string about 2 - 3 turns clockwise. I was able to adjust it without an issue but I was surprised it changed so much. Mind you, I never did a real good check of it with the D'addarios so I suppose it could have been out a bit from the factory. I did also mess with the action of the low E/A/D strings at one point, not sure if that would change the intonation as well.
Last edited by potatohead_33 at Dec 2, 2009,