Ok, so, to make a long story short, my strat is being completely rewired by a tech I go to. What I thought was a cold soldering joint (which rendered the neck pickup nearly useless) turned out to be a complete disaster under the pickguard (the glorious wiring mess of spliced wires and gobs of solder everywhere, dirty pots, etc. from the previous owner), something beyond what I am comfortable attempting myself for sure.

Now, seeing it as an opportunity to really have the guitar working the way I want it to, I've been debating using different pots for it. The pickup configuration in this strat is HSH, specifically being a DiMarzio Tone Zone in the bridge, a Duncan single coil in the middle of some type, and a DiMarzio Air Norton in the bridge. It is currently using 250K pots.

Now for the most part, I do love the tone I get out of the guitar (especially the Air Norton, when I could get it to work), but I find myself wishing the Tone Zone had a bit more top end to it. Now I know it's a dark, almost murky sounding pickup, but getting a bit more treble out of it would make it much better I think. Is it possible to mix and match different pot values if I wanted to change them? or no? And would a 500K pot be the trick? or maybe upgrade the capacitors? (something I had done to another guitar).

Thanks
- Gibson Flying V 120 #1 (White)
- Gibson Flying V 120 #2 (Cherry)
- Gibson SG Standard ('61 style)
- Jackson DK2M

- ENGL Fireball 60

- Many pedals, plus other stuff
go for 500k. 250k will make the humbuckers sound bad. my strat is HSSH and i had 250k pots in it and i couldn't get the 490r/500t to sound like i wanted, but the singles sounded fine. my last resort was changing the pots to 500k (because of the singles possibly being too trebly after the change), Lo and behold, it worked, and the singles still sound fine. so that's my 2 cents.
^agreed, my strat is a HSH with 500k pots and I have a Tone Zone in the neck position. It's very warm and dark due to being in the neck spot but not muddy or murky.
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
Thanks guys!
So just to clarify though, if I want a 500K pot for any of my pickups, I must switch them all to 500K, correct?
And how much different does a single coil sound w/a 500K pot anyway? (I won't be using it that much though)
- Gibson Flying V 120 #1 (White)
- Gibson Flying V 120 #2 (Cherry)
- Gibson SG Standard ('61 style)
- Jackson DK2M

- ENGL Fireball 60

- Many pedals, plus other stuff
Just the volumes.

500k gives you more treble content in your signal. singles don't sound too bad with 500k but humbuckers sound like ass with 250k and are way too trebly for my tastes with 1M pots. Singles with 1M are just unbearable.
Quote by Invader Jim
Just the volumes.

500k gives you more treble content in your signal. singles don't sound too bad with 500k but humbuckers sound like ass with 250k and are way too trebly for my tastes with 1M pots. Singles with 1M are just unbearable.

This makes me wonder... I'm going to be using 300k pots in my build... Humbucker in the bridge and P90 in the neck. I know Gibson uses 300k's in their LPs, so do you think maybe an 11k HB would sound alright with teh 300k pot?

It wouldn't hurt for me to try both 500k and 300k.... I'm mostly doing 300 to be historically correct to vintage Gibsons (with the slight increase in scale length from 24.6xx to 24.75).
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores